Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-07-2014, 07:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I love both records!
I'm shocked.
Old 14-07-2014, 07:14
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
It's hard to say which one is better, because, well, it depends on my mood. ehehehe I like them both too.

BUT...

...although I'm a proud geekish person, I'd somehow agree that RTF is better and that isn't because I got more used to it, since Futurology is still new, but because I sense a slight tone of machoism in the sound of some Futurology tracks (well, as macho as the Manics can sound, actually, not to exaggerate, it's compared to what they usually do, I mean). Also, RTF sounded somehow more sincere and honest, Futurology sounds more like they wanted to create something spectacular again.
Finally, I prefer the videos of RTF too because they're more interesting, they're telling a story.
Old 14-07-2014, 08:16
Knowlede Is Power

Yep. RTF is my second-favourite Manics album. Definitely prefer it to Futurology. I do properly love Futurology though.

It's a tough call to make at the moment though, because we've only had Futurology for a week. Both albums left me a little cold on first listen then gradually revealed themselves as I listened to them more (the same is also true of my beloved Lifeblood). So six months from now I could love Futurology more than RTF. Who knows?
Old 14-07-2014, 08:18
I live to fall asleep

I like RTF.

I Futurology
Old 14-07-2014, 10:25
Doors slowly closing

Rewind The Film is possibly my favourite Manics album. I've got too wallowy for all that noisy jumping about malarky. Futurology is pleasantly surprising with some good tracks but it doesn't work as an album quite as well.
Old 14-07-2014, 15:51
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
RTF bums me out more than THB ever did. It's just got such a way, so powerful, that makes me feel utterly crap about being alive. Songs like RAWF, TSWH, etc are just so good but I can't listen to them if they come on through a playlist. It's just a very good album that will only get plays at certain times I am going through. Right now Futurology is on repeat and it just makes me feel alive.
Old 14-07-2014, 16:14
Freed from the century

I like both, but there wasn't a single song on RTF that I hated while on Futurology, Green Gartside violates an otherwise OK song....

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 15-07-2014, 22:47
Born to end

When I heard 'Rewind The Film' (the song) for the first time it literally had me in pieces, and is one of my favorite MSP songs ever. This probably built my hopes up too high for the album which, when it arrived, disappointed me greatly. I found it flat, uninspiring generally and I think the band sound tired when they probably wanted to sound weary.

'Futurology' is, on the other hand energetic, at times sarcastic and is consistently thrilling with many highlights. An infinitely better album I think.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:49
Bored of being bored

I prefer RTF.
Probably because it makes me think about the time I spent in Wales
Old 11-09-2014, 07:36
Administrator

I love RTF, Futurology is doing the opposite of growing on me, although I still like some of the tracks quite a bit. Futurology is a bit ehh, and I'm not sure it's gonna age well.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:51
I live to fall asleep

First half of Futurology has a more immediate impact and is truly excellent, but really tails off. Some songs (Divine Youth, Mayakovsky, The Bedroom wall clock thing) will be consigned to the bin.

RTF is a more even album I think, and although there are some tracks on there I'd cheerfully never hear again (4 Lonely Roads, SMTW) I think 30 Year War is one of their enduring classics and should be a late set staple for the rest of time.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:11
Freed from the century

For me, RTF just shades it over Futurology. I think RTF achieves the mission statement better. Plus by being such a quick follow up, Futurology suffers from that ‘oh we did this stuff as well’ feeling. I’d say RTF is the Kid A, while Futurology is the Amnesiac; it wins by being a more complete album.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:33
I live to fall asleep

Both of them are extremely patchy. I don't really listen to either of them.
Old 15-09-2014, 08:52
I am purity, they call me perverted

I love both; but if I had to chose, I would maybe go for RTF. I was a late-comer to it, only recently really, but over those few weeks it has just grown into an album I love.

'Futurology' was more immediate, on initial listens I knew it was a good album; it would be a very hard decision but I would go with RTF; the atmospherics, the emotion, the depth. I honestly feel it's one of their greatest albums.
Old 15-09-2014, 09:56
Born to end

I adore RWT. I was having a really bad time last year, headspace wise and just played that record over and over as, as another poster said, it really spoke to me at the time. The title track is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever done.