Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-10-2013, 14:56
Born to end

Yes please!! 20th anniversary box set and play the album in it's entirety too!! That would be orgasmic, I would never attend another non-MSP gig ever again after it, there would be no point :-P
Old 21-10-2013, 09:08
I am purity, they call me perverted

Not quite sure how I'd feel if this actually went ahead. The THB tour wasn't the celebration of an all time top ten album we view it as now. I only saw them once on the tour and couldn't help but compare it to seeing them a few months earlier. The album had compare out and going from GATS to THB was like being kicked in the head repeatedly, and the tour had the same effect on me. At the time I wasn't really an obsessive fan, more into James's guitar than anything else, I didn't bother reading the music press and as such was fairly unaware of Richey's problems, so the change in the band was quite shocking. I know they are full of reminiscence with RTF and all, but I'd be very surprised if they wanted to relive that tour.
Old 21-10-2013, 09:52
Bored of being bored

Certainly not all the songs would sound that great Live though 80% of them would as they've been played.

It's possible that there may be a one off gig/festival slot for it if they don't want to do a series of dates, that's if it goes ahead.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:08
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Wasn't that just someone with a camcorder? Won't be good enough for a proper DVD
Wasn't it filmed for use in the US Faster video? Pretty sure that was live footage. I seem to recall an alternate video for "A Design For Life" using similar footage, but that's impossible to find. Unless I made it up, but I do remember it.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:11
Knowlede Is Power

As much as I love THB I'm not sure I want a third copy of it! I've heard other people mention bands and albums that they loved when they were younger but going through a hard time that they have difficulty in listening to now. I would assume artistically the band might like to revist THB live but emotionally it might be difficult for them. So I could completely understand why they may be loathe to
Old 21-10-2013, 10:54
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
I disagree with the 2004 comment. In 2004 their stock couldn't have been lower and the 10th anniversary (as far as I remember) was a fans' only thing and not widely promoted.
To me that's why it makes all the more sense. To drop down to a small Academy sized venue would both fit the "for the fans" attitude and do justice to the material that surrounded the re-issue. Their stock was lower in 2004, but they were still playing to large arena crowds. The band actually did go on to "reconnect" with that part of their history by playing about half of it at the Past, Present, Future tour anyway, and mighty it sounded too.

20 years on, as the band themselves have admitted themselves, they would find it harder to do it justice. So really, my point is just that a younger Manics could have pulled it off, but now it might not sound all that fantastic.

I wouldn't buy a re-issue unless it was fully remixed like In Utero.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:54
Stretched out in the sun

I'd love to have all the albums in that Generation Terrorist box set style. After the Postcards and National Treasures box sets, I think that one was a masterstroke, very nicely packaged, great content, comparatively good value. Love it. Kinda surprised there's still only been the one vinyl issue, maybe we'll get that alleged black vinyl.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:55
Bored of being bored

Forget the CD's people want Live footage etc or rare live gigs if anything, I wouldn't buy the CD its not worth it, 2004's release was very good, it can't be that bettered, a tour would be much better than a re release etc
Old 21-10-2013, 11:04
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
Forget the CD's people want Live footage etc or rare live gigs if anything, I wouldn't buy the CD its not worth it, 2004's release was very good, it can't be that bettered, a tour would be much better than a re release etc
Come on, this is gorgeous!

Could press a vinyl with maybe the MTV unplugged tracks or some other radio session on. Maybe reprint the tour programme and throw a poster in there. I know it was hardly the most b-side heavy era but none of the b-sides were on the 10th Anniversary and there are bound to be more demos knocking about. Maybe even stuff like Judge Yr'self or Alien Orders/Invisible Armies at a stretch. Maybe there are demos of some of the Everything Must Go tracks from then, too. Oh and they could put Pennyroyal Tea on there. The dvd, well there's already the documentary on 10th Anniversary, so Astoria would be the dream, I agree. Failing that, maybe a mix of archive footage from interviews with Richey and bits of other gigs.
Old 21-10-2013, 11:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Could press a vinyl with maybe the MTV unplugged tracks or some other radio session on. Maybe reprint the tour programme and throw a poster in there. I know it was hardly the most b-side heavy era but none of the b-sides were on the 10th Anniversary and there are bound to be more demos knocking about. Maybe even stuff like Judge Yr'self or Alien Orders/Invisible Armies at a stretch. Maybe there are demos of some of the Everything Must Go tracks from then, too. Oh and they could put Pennyroyal Tea on there. The dvd, well there's already the documentary on 10th Anniversary, so Astoria would be the dream, I agree. Failing that, maybe a mix of archive footage from interviews with Richey and bits of other gigs.
That would be amazing.
Old 21-10-2013, 12:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
I disagree with the 2004 comment. In 2004 their stock couldn't have been lower and the 10th anniversary (as far as I remember) was a fans' only thing and not widely promoted.
To me that's why it makes all the more sense. To drop down to a small Academy sized venue would both fit the "for the fans" attitude and do justice to the material that surrounded the re-issue. Their stock was lower in 2004, but they were still playing to large arena crowds. The band actually did go on to "reconnect" with that part of their history by playing about half of it at the Past, Present, Future tour anyway, and mighty it sounded too.

20 years on, as the band themselves have admitted themselves, they would find it harder to do it justice. So really, my point is just that a younger Manics could have pulled it off, but now it might not sound all that fantastic.

I wouldn't buy a re-issue unless it was fully remixed like In Utero.
Old 21-10-2013, 12:49
Born to end

Doesn't the BBC have footage from one the Astoria concerts? They should release the whole thing onto DVD with the audio on CD + Plus the album. That would be cool, especially with liner notes of lyrics sheets etc.

Yes do it guys!
Old 21-10-2013, 13:10

Not sure about whether they have video, but they definitely have it on audio...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bqtl7

Glad you reminded me, having a listen through now....

Richey's even got his guitar switched on (left ear if you're on headphones....) sounds ok to me.

Still the best live version of Faster I've ever heard.

Last edited by who's responsible?; 21-10-2013 at 13:18.
Old 21-10-2013, 13:37
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by who's responsible? View Post
Not sure about whether they have video, but they definitely have it on audio...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bqtl7

Glad you reminded me, having a listen through now....

Richey's even got his guitar switched on (left ear if you're on headphones....) sounds ok to me.

Still the best live version of Faster I've ever heard.
Yeah, I love the 'clatter' behind James's guitar. Sounds so raw and amazing. Love it.

This is the footage. They've obviously got the whole thing because they show them smashing their instruments at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQCb807jdE
Old 21-10-2013, 13:40

OK, now about half way through that (ME just finished) and I take that back. They were soooo fucking good back then. Yes, we need a THB tour. If just a one off, make it the Astoria.