Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-05-2011, 16:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
I felt more for Valerie Nettles who is also in that article talking about her 16 year old son going missing from the Isle of Wight than Richey as Richey chose to disappear.
That's to be disputed, firstly he was a vulnerable adult and wasn't in a sound mind when he left the Embassy Hotel. Secondly he may have chosen to end his life (like Carole Galalby on Tuesday's show, but wasn't found in time) and his body may have been washed out to sea - which is not a concious decision to disappear considering the majority of people who jump from such places are normally washed up. Whether it's the suicide of a missing person or a possible abduction/murder, I find it hard to quantify which I 'feel more' for. All the families go through the same torment of the unknown.

Last edited by SHR; 14-05-2011 at 00:07.
Old 13-05-2011, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatex View Post
I've just uploaded it here >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkkRXRY4_MA
Thank you!
Old 13-05-2011, 20:16
Winterlover

I've been trying to avoid commenting on this piece...I mean, what can you say beyond the obvious? She's a wonderful woman burdened at far too young an age by the complete disappearance of someone who she loved very much. I can't begin to imagine the kind of mental torment she and her family have gone through for the past 16 years. The fact that's she's devoted a significant part of her adult life to not only finding out what became of her brother, but her determination to bring the plight of those "left behind" to the forefront of society is incredibly admirable. Richey was/is lucky to have such an incredible person as a sister. What an impressive woman.

I was a week away from my 18th birthday when Richey went missing and at the time, I was deep into my odd obsession with him (in some ways, that obsession hasn't completely left me) and I was quite oblivious to how his disappearance may have affected his family...I was more concerned with him being found and rejoining a band I thought had finally reached their potential. It was selfish, but I was a kid who didn't really see the situation for what it really and truly was; someone's son, brother, friend had disappeared and the fact that he was in a band I liked was incredibly insignificant compared to the sense of devastation his disappearance caused those who loved him. I think over the last 16 years I've gained that understanding to the point where it's become less about Richey himself and more about the family finding the answers they need to stop their suffering. Sadly however, I think that's not a realistic outcome especially if he has died. It may well be that they will never know what became of him and that's a heartbreaking scenario. Much love to his family and friends. I hope they do find at least some kind of peace eventually.
Old 13-05-2011, 21:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
I've been trying to avoid commenting on this piece...I mean, what can you say beyond the obvious? She's a wonderful woman burdened at far too young an age by the complete disappearance of someone who she loved very much. I can't begin to imagine the kind of mental torment she and her family have gone through for the past 16 years. The fact that's she's devoted a significant part of her adult life to not only finding out what became of her brother, but her determination to bring the plight of those "left behind" to the forefront of society is incredibly admirable. Richey was/is lucky to have such an incredible person as a sister. What an impressive woman.

I was a week away from my 18th birthday when Richey went missing and at the time, I was deep into my odd obsession with him (in some ways, that obsession hasn't completely left me) and I was quite oblivious to how his disappearance may have affected his family...I was more concerned with him being found and rejoining a band I thought had finally reached their potential. It was selfish, but I was a kid who didn't really see the situation for what it really and truly was; someone's son, brother, friend had disappeared and the fact that he was in a band I liked was incredibly insignificant compared to the sense of devastation his disappearance caused those who loved him. I think over the last 16 years I've gained that understanding to the point where it's become less about Richey himself and more about the family finding the answers they need to stop their suffering. Sadly however, I think that's not a realistic outcome especially if he has died. It may well be that they will never know what became of him and that's a heartbreaking scenario. Much love to his family and friends. I hope they do find at least some kind of peace eventually.
Says it all pretty much my friend

I was 21 when Richey vanished and i remember saying to a penpal that i didnt care if he never went on stage again as long as he was found safe and well,still all these years on i hope with all my heart that his family and friends get the peace of mind they so deeply deserve.
Old 16-06-2011, 18:07
Winterlover

Didn't want to create a new thread, but Rachel was on the Wales news on BBC1 just now, trying to get laws changed to make it easier to deal with affairs of those presumed dead. There was footage of MSP playing (I think) You Love Us on TOTP and the classic panda-eyes pic of Richey behind the presenter, complete with obligatory slow zoom-in on the latter. Good piece overall though.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....

Last edited by Bambi; 16-06-2011 at 18:39.
Old 16-06-2011, 19:02

http://www.itv.com/wales/fullprogramme/

Today's programme (16/07) 5.20 in for those who don't live in Wales.
Old 16-06-2011, 19:17
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Didn't want to create a new thread, but Rachel was on the Wales news on BBC1 just now, trying to get laws changed to make it easier to deal with affairs of those presumed dead. There was footage of MSP playing (I think) You Love Us on TOTP and the classic panda-eyes pic of Richey behind the presenter, complete with obligatory slow zoom-in on the latter. Good piece overall though.
She was briefly on BBC Radio 2 (or maybe Radio 4, can't remember) the other morning talking about the same thing. I happened to wander into the kitchen and hear it as I was making my breakfast before work.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:32
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
http://www.itv.com/wales/fullprogramme/

Today's programme (16/07) 5.20 in for those who don't live in Wales.
Thanks for putting that up. Great work the campaign is doing but every time I listen to Rachel I just feel so terribly sad for the family and Nicky, James and Sean. It just never goes away.
Old 17-06-2011, 12:35

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13778955
Old 17-06-2011, 18:33
Administrator

Quote:
That's to be disputed, firstly he was a vulnerable adult and wasn't in a sound mind when he left the Embassy Hotel. Secondly he may have chosen to end his life (like Carole Galalby on Tuesday's show, but wasn't found in time) and his body may have been washed out to sea - which is not a concious decision to disappear considering the majority of people who jump from such places are normally washed up. Whether it's the suicide of a missing person or a possible abduction/murder, I find it hard to quantify which I 'feel more' for. All the families go through the same torment of the unknown.
Isn't that rather an assumption though - we don't know what state of mind he was in, nor whether he chose to end his life or made a conscious decision to disappear. I agree over not really being able to quantify something like this, but Richey did choose to do whatever he did, he wasn't abducted (or so we assume).
Old 17-06-2011, 19:26
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
He had money compared to the 16 year old i mentioned. So Richey would have had more options.
Old 21-06-2011, 18:52
Winterlover

Have just been shown this week's Grazia magazine in which Rachel's talking about Richey's disappearance. It's a two page article in which she talks partly about how close they were as kids, him looking out for her sweetly like "the typical overprotective older brother". It's all in her words, and still heartbreaking; the last few lines made me choke up to be honest. There's also 2 childhood pictures of the two of them, one or perhaps both of which I don't personally remember seeing before.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 23-06-2011, 08:31
Bored of being bored

There's a blog post here by Rachel:
http://www.themissingblog.com/2011/0...rves-name.html

Is it the Grazia article? (there's a bit about the "He was always looking out for me – the typical overprotective older brother.")

It actually links to *that* Richey Edwards FB.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:34
Knowlede Is Power

why does it link to that facebook page?
Old 23-06-2011, 08:35
Bored of being bored

I don't know! For a second I thought, "Maybe we're wrong, maybe it really *is* her." but then I thought, it's more likely that they just googled it and don't realise its true genesis.