Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-04-2015, 08:51
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Aye, all true. Do other bands get so much criticism from their own fans? Not as involved in any fanbase as much as this un, like...
Pretty much, except Radiohead, they seem use a magical random setlist generator....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 21-04-2015, 09:53
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Course other bands get this much criticism from their own fans....I doubt it's that much different!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Pretty much, except Radiohead, they seem use a magical random setlist generator....
I honestly wouldn't know, I'm generally not that critical of stuff I like.

Thinking about it, over the years with some of the reactions I've seen from people... Summat like Postcards From A Young Man went down like a shit sandwich with some people to the extent that you get the impression that to them, it tarnished the albums that made them love them in the first place. Seen a lot of that kinda thing over the years on here and I've sat back and thought.. what.. this isn't normal? But I guess it is.

Yeah, they're my favourite band and I am biased but not to the extent that I think the sun shines out of their arses and everything they touches turns to gold. There are few tracks dotted around that I'm not too fond of but I don't make a thing of it, I'll listen to my favourites instead. If they play anything I'm not that fond of at a gig, I know something I love will be coming up soon anyway.
Old 21-04-2015, 10:56
I am purity, they call me perverted

I had a great time, there were a few rough spots in the set (from the looks James was shooting to Sean I think he felt that the tempo was dragging sometimes) and some behind the scenes happenings (like apparently most of their crew couldn't get in the country and they had to scramble last minute substitutes) may have added some tension to the performance. Overall though they sounded great, James's voice was on point and I couldn't have had a better vantage point to view the show. Looking forward to NYC and Boston, hopefully for those shows they'll stick around for a few minutes instead of bailing in a van all stealth-like out the back door while everyone was on the other side of the club waiting by their bus HAHA
Old 21-04-2015, 11:01
Doors slowly closing

The rehearsed rare songs probably won't see the light of day until the UK summer shows, I would imagine that is what they were rehearsing for. They've gone to the US to promote The Holy Bible and although its a shame the US are probably never going to hear much of Futurology, they never got to hear much of THB before either! I'm sure the fans are very grateful for the setlist tonight, Manics don't tour the states often so I doubt they would want to alienate people too much with rare songs other than those on THB. Remember they do shorter sets over there too.
Old 21-04-2015, 11:10
An imitation of dignity

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I had a great time, there were a few rough spots in the set (from the looks James was shooting to Sean I think he felt that the tempo was dragging sometimes) and some behind the scenes happenings (like apparently most of their crew couldn't get in the country and they had to scramble last minute substitutes) may have added some tension to the performance. Overall though they sounded great, James's voice was on point and I couldn't have had a better vantage point to view the show. Looking forward to NYC and Boston, hopefully for those shows they'll stick around for a few minutes instead of bailing in a van all stealth-like out the back door while everyone was on the other side of the club waiting by their bus HAHA
Cant imagine Nicky being stealth-like.
Old 21-04-2015, 11:25
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
The rehearsed rare songs probably won't see the light of day until the UK summer shows, I would imagine that is what they were rehearsing for. They've gone to the US to promote The Holy Bible and although its a shame the US are probably never going to hear much of Futurology, they never got to hear much of THB before either! I'm sure the fans are very grateful for the setlist tonight, Manics don't tour the states often so I doubt they would want to alienate people too much with rare songs other than those on THB. Remember they do shorter sets over there too.
Aye, fair points. They're touring The Holy Bible, they've just played Ifwhiteamerica in America, don't think anyone can accuse them of playing it safe. Mind you I'm sure there'd be more moaning if they dropped Motorcycle Emptiness, A Design For Life, You Love Us, Tolerate...
Old 21-04-2015, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillgrove View Post
Cant imagine Nicky being stealth-like.
Well in fairness I didn't actually see him enter the van so it could have been a clumsy transition from the back door to the van door HAHA
Old 21-04-2015, 12:48
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Aye, all true. Do other bands get so much criticism from their own fans? Not as involved in any fanbase as much as this un, like...
This Smashing Pumpkins forum is the best by far...

http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You'd never get the dreaded "if you don't like them anymore, why are you still here?" line on there.
Old 21-04-2015, 15:48
Knowlede Is Power

Most of the US fans i spoke to loved the show. A lot of them travelled many miles from other States to see them and having waited so long to see the Manics for the first time! The US fans so friendly and a lot singing every word of the HB with us on the front row. James not knowing the HB running order was so funny playing the wrong song Nicky and Sean in stitches of laughter. The Manics loved the Washington audience. 9.30 Club awesome venue. I loved the gig and now on a train to New York.
2001 Brixton, C.I.A.
2002 Millennium Stadium, St. David's Hall, Wembley, C.I.A. x 2
2003 Move Festival
2004 Wembley
2005 C.I.A., Millennium Stadium, Bristol, Swansea
2006 JDB Solus
2007 Cardiff Uni x 2, Bristol, Reading, C.I.A., Bournemouth, Brighton
2008 NME Awards, NME Big Gig, Newport
2009 Roundhouse x 2 , Wolves, Brighton
2010 Millennium Stadium, Newport, Bristol ,Leicester
2011 Brixton, Blackwood, Wolves, C.I.A., JDB Solus, O2 Arena
2012 The Hague, Amsterdam
2013 Newport, Festival No.6, Bristol
2014 Cardiff Motorpoint, Leicester, Wolves, The Roundhouse x 3
2015 JDB at W.M.C, Washington, New York, Boston. Wolves & Cardiff Castle
2016 Brussels, RAH x 2, Swansea, Cardiff, Eden Project
Old 21-04-2015, 15:52
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
This Smashing Pumpkins forum is the best by far...

http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You'd never get the dreaded "if you don't like them anymore, why are you still here?" line on there.
I like that there is a thread called "Is 'Tonight Tonight' the greatest song ever written?" No, no it's not.
Old 21-04-2015, 16:10
Administrator

It's a bit like the 'is James the sexiest man ever'. Patently not.
Old 21-04-2015, 16:20

I was hoping that the post-Bible set would consist of a few more songs. Only seven songs seems a bit truncated, no?
Old 21-04-2015, 16:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresher View Post
Most of the US fans i spoke to loved the show. A lot of them travelled many miles from other States to see them and having waited so long to see the Manics for the first time! The US fans so friendly and a lot singing every word of the HB with us on the front row. James not knowing the HB running order was so funny playing the wrong song Nicky and Sean in stitches of laughter. The Manics loved the Washington audience. 9.30 Club awesome venue. I loved the gig and now on a train to New York.
Nice! Glad everyone had a good time! I'm seeing some really nice reviews on FB too.
Old 21-04-2015, 17:31

dc gig

I think truncated is a harsh word. In my experience you get about 20 songs from the main band and 10 from the opener (Hell, the Manics only played like 13 songs when they played headline gigs in the US in '96). It probably more to do with club licenses, neighborhood ordinances, etc. So in this case the set was normal length and dominated by the main feature (HB) and the remainder filled with greatest hits/ recent material. I'm sure the songs at the end will be switched up a bit with maybe a rarity getting played.
Old 21-04-2015, 18:22

Sounds like it was a good time. I'm just happy to see the Bible performed in its entirety. Everything else set-wise beyond that is icing on the cake. Although if there is no Design for Life, I'd be a little sad. Looking forward to Boston!

"There's still loads of anger and hate: that's what keeps us alive. When I go out there, it's always with clenched teeth." Sean Moore

Majestic Theater, Detroit 2009 * The Sinclair, Cambridge MA, 2015 * Cardiff Castle 2015, Massey Hall 2022