Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-10-2010, 17:10
Winterlover

I didn't think Pris were that great, but they were far from the worst band ive seen - probably not even the worst Manics support I've seen. I suspect they're a lot better at their own gigs, it must be pretty intimidating if you've only ever played tiny venues (I'm assuming this is the case) to be faced with a crowd of thousands, the vast majority who wish you would get off the stage. I suspect what may have seemed like arrogance may just gave been nervousness.
Old 27-10-2010, 17:16
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Kelly View Post
Fucking awful beyond belief.

But nice comedy relief I suppose.
It's rubbish, but it's still not worse than Kids in Glass Houses.
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine
Old 27-10-2010, 17:40
Bored of being bored

I've had to see Toploader twice, I can handle ANY support band after that.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:08
Freed from the century

Regarding the non audience interaction for the support bands what I meant was, quite a few people seemed to be talking through their sets and not even watching them, joking and laughing and just standing there or looking away.
The singer of Pris really should have had some trousers or a skirt on lol it did seem like she wished she was Debbie Harry. I ain't saying they're brilliant or the best band in the world or anything! If you take them for what they are... a bubblegum guitar pop, Shampoo, Bis, Blondie type band. Then they really ain't as bad as some people are saying.
I was expecting more of British Sea Power to be honest. Only 'No Lucifer' seemed to go down really well it seemed. Although I did like and enjoy their performance it did seem like their songs sounds to similar on the night.
I'd also love to have seen something like Patrick Bateman being played. Was hoping for Sleepflower too. If they did play something off Lifeblood then 1985 would've been ideal. I don't why though they ain't playing the second half of the new album. Why oh why ain't I Think I Found It being played? Not only should that one be a single its the best song on the new album and it would be interesting live. Some of the tracks on the second half of the new album would go down well live too I think.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:11
Bored out of my mind

No band could ever be worse than Athlete. EVER! Mind numbing tedium.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 27-10-2010, 18:26
Stretched out in the sun

RUNNING DOWN CORRIDORS THROUGH AUTOMATIC DOOOOOORS.

Athlete aren't that bad.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:43
I live to fall asleep

I quite liked Pris, the singer showed a bit of attitude which I think is a good thing.

Good luck to them I say.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:48
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love You View Post
The singer of Pris really should have had some trousers or a skirt on lol it did seem like she wished she was Debbie Harry. I ain't saying they're brilliant or the best band in the world or anything! If you take them for what they are... a bubblegum guitar pop, Shampoo, Bis, Blondie type band. Then they really ain't as bad as some people are saying.
Exactly what I thought of them at the time. They're never gonna change the world, but not every band needs to.

and I wasn't complaining about the skirt! I am a shallow, shallow human being.
Old 27-10-2010, 19:10
Under neon loneliness

Priss were better than The Answering Machine, and more entertaining than Cherry Ghost. /damnwithfaintpraise

I was a bit disappointed that the blonde didn't do a series of backward somersaultst across the stage.
Old 27-10-2010, 19:11
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I was a bit disappointed that the blonde didn't do a series of backward somersaultst across the stage.
Old 28-10-2010, 00:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Why does crowd not jumping mean a song is bad, or doesn't work live? Try a sigur ros gig, no one moves, doesn't mean they aren't great, or the songs don't work live. People need too get over the obsession that if a crowd isn't jumping around that they aren't enjoying themselves or appreciating the music. Especially as the MSP crowd ages.
Yeah, I agree 100%, but to be fair, Sigur Ros and the Manics are polar opposites musically though. You'd expect a fair bit of hysteria from a Manics tune or two, but Sigur Ros play much more contemplative music plus people are usually too in awe of their musicianship...it's just a different kind of vibe. But yeah, I wouldn't care a wink if no one moved at a Manics show so long as I got to hear the tunes...that's just me though.

Btw, Sigur Ros are one of the best live bands I've ever seen (and I've seen them a lot!) and yes, better than the Manics (Manics are still great though, just not as good). Actually, if I'm being honest, I'm more a fan of Sigur Ros then I am MSP. *avoids Tracey's evil glare*
Old 28-10-2010, 01:16
Administrator

True, true, polar opposites indeed, but it's true of other bands in between too. If you really can't enjoy a gig without continual jumping,then the manics probably aren't for you anyway. It's not like they don't play plenty of songs for jumping anyway...and people don't jump during the acoustics usually, so it's not like you have to jump for the whole gig for it to be good. It would be a weird atmosphere if everyone stood still, but that's not what I'm suggesting anyway. I'm sort of with you on SR being better also ...at least they play whatever they want.
Old 28-10-2010, 04:25
Winterlover

Haha! I love the way I've just told a person with the user name of 'Takk' all about Sigur Ros' live performances. Get me, eh?

You know, I can understand why people get a little prickly about samey sets, particularly from a band with such a huge back catalogue - I'm sure it can be frustrating for those of you fortunate enough to see them live quite often - but I'm not sure I personally understand the complaints about people not moving/jumping around a lot. As long as you're having a good time and doing your thing, what does it matter if Joe Blow three people down isn't getting his freak on? People respond to live music differently and as you said, this doesn't mean they don't appreciate it or enjoy it throughly in their own way and it certainly doesn't mean they don't have the right to be there.
Old 28-10-2010, 05:36
Freed from the century

Sigur Ros are immense live btw.
Anyway it's not the non jumping around of the crowd during the support groups that's the sign of non audience involvement. It was the case that lots of people weren't even looking at them most of the time and were standing around talking to one another. Just didn't seem to me like some people never gave the support bands a chance. Another thing I find annoying at gig's is people constantly on their phones, taking pictures, writing facebook statuses, etc lol Like if you pay all that money for a ticket, at least enjoy yourselfs and don't spend most of your time on your phones.
Old 29-10-2010, 12:39
An imitation of dignity

This was my first Manics gig after managing to miss them on the last couple of tours and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thought the set list on the whole was great (maybe Ocean Spray was a little unnecessary!), although I can understand complaints about them not changing it up... Also went to Bristol and was slightly disappointed by having only 1 different song then, but on reflection was lucky to have anything with the illness!