Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 21:44
Freed from the century

i've not read any of the text at all but was genuinely suprised when i saw the pics.
some are odd, like different angles from photo shoots we've seen (pic of nicky on the bed, richey on the windowledge from motorcycle - although it credits the pic as richey & 'unknown extra'!!) different pics from the you love us shoot with the drinks and balloons and outside in france where richey's got his big cardie on.
aside from that its all stuff i've never seen before. even tha back cover is a richey pic i dont know. i'll skim it tomorrow and report back.

i got hold of 'richard' through work, we were sent 2 copies for staff to read and give feedback to suppliers on commercial opportunity etc.
me and my wife read it, both hated it
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04
I live to fall asleep

Something else to buy when I get paid at the end of the month. Not long now. Be interesting to see what it's like.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:10
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Got my copy yesrterday. My husband just laughted, said 'what more can it tell me?', i do have rather a lot of Manics books Looking forward to reading it.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:41
I live to fall asleep

I may get this if it has more than 2 or 3 pages post EMG.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:03
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Mitch View Post
Got my copy yesrterday. My husband just laughted, said 'what more can it tell me?', i do have rather a lot of Manics books Looking forward to reading it.
My boyfriend (Manics fan) reacted much the same way So far I think it's worth buying it for the pictures, the writing... no. Only on page 65 and already tearing my hair out over the mistakes in it. But the pictures are great!

Facebook / Last.fm / Twitter / Tumblr
Old 11-09-2010, 10:39
Bored of being bored

It came with the singles, theres some lovely first print mistakes in the discog. My favourite is the listing & non listing of secret tracks
Old 21-09-2010, 15:38
Bored of being bored

i couldnt believe when i looked at this in HMV and saw photos i'd never seen before!
HAPPY!!
Text will doubtless be very similar to the 2009 updated version of Sweet Venom which i already have,
but it is tempting...

*sparkle and believe*
Old 21-09-2010, 18:10
Winterlover

Has anyone finished reading this yet?? And if they have, how would they rate it overall?
Old 24-09-2010, 18:40
Bored of being bored

Saw it in a bookstore in Milan (!!) for an outrageous price: 34.50euros! I flipped through it and saw all the pretty pics... it did look tempting (although Amazon PLUS postage would be a lot more convenient) still, I'm not sure the contents (ie. text) are worth the cash....

Looking forward to some feedback from those who've read it!
Old 24-09-2010, 19:12
I live to fall asleep

Anyone nice who has this willing to show us a few photos of the book? I might put this on my birthday list for next month
Old 29-09-2010, 09:53
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Has anyone finished reading this yet?? And if they have, how would they rate it overall?
Hiya

I finished reading it last night and and although I enjoyed it because it was about the band (and a lot about Richey) there are some terrible, basic mistakes in the book including song titles and info and it seems obvious to me that it just hadn't been checked or proof read by someone with any real interest in the subject.

He kept referring to anyone in the band by both names throughout the whole book and it really started to annoy me by the 4th or 5th chapter.

If you haven't read a lot of the other books I'd certainly consider getting it but I still personally like the Simon Price book a lot better. It woud be really interesting to see an update of that and see what he would do with the last 15 years.
Old 29-09-2010, 11:06
Bored of being bored

Thanks wireobsessed ! I cannot stand books with mistakes - of any kind. I'm paying good money for a lousy, careless job and it's plain disrespectful towards the reader.
Guess I'll wait till it's heavily reduced and then get it for the sake of completism and because it's the only up to date book... plus the pics!
Old 29-09-2010, 11:18
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Might order one just for the sake of the new pictures then. It's odds on it won't cover much more than what's already been said in Everything.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 29-09-2010, 13:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embla Claymore View Post
Thanks wireobsessed ! I cannot stand books with mistakes - of any kind. I'm paying good money for a lousy, careless job and it's plain disrespectful towards the reader.
Definitely agree with you on that, Embla.

"There's still loads of anger and hate: that's what keeps us alive. When I go out there, it's always with clenched teeth." Sean Moore

Majestic Theater, Detroit 2009 * The Sinclair, Cambridge MA, 2015 * Cardiff Castle 2015, Massey Hall 2022
Old 30-09-2010, 19:27
An imitation of dignity

I thumbed through a copy of this book on my lunch hour today. On the plus side, its nice to see a fair few pages devoted to the post EMG years - right up to January 2010 in fact. Although I think the book is a bit too dismissive of 'Lifeblood' - seemingly because it only reached no 13, and had a lot of synths. Don't think I'll be be buying, as all of the stuff in the book that is pre-1999 I've read in other books, but interesting for someone that doesn't already own any manics literature I suppose