Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-02-2020, 12:54
Knowlede Is Power

Listening right now...
Old 24-02-2020, 21:11
Doors slowly closing

Listened to GTpt2 episode earlier... I’m enjoying these more with each episode, great job. I like that there was a mixture of responses to the songs and it really fired up both some personal nostalgia for my own history of manics fandom and also made me intrigued as to the responses to all the other albums to come.

I think it struck a great balance of analysis, banter and info.

To answer the title, “Do you Love Us?” - I don’t know about that yet, but I like you a lot so far

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 24-02-2020, 23:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Listened to GTpt2 episode earlier... I’m enjoying these more with each episode, great job. I like that there was a mixture of responses to the songs and it really fired up both some personal nostalgia for my own history of manics fandom and also made me intrigued as to the responses to all the other albums to come.

I think it struck a great balance of analysis, banter and info.

To answer the title, “Do you Love Us?” - I don’t know about that yet, but I like you a lot so far
Thank you so much! Slightly interestingly, those first three episodes were recorded back-to-back in one 7 hour session. So that kind of just happened naturally
Old 28-02-2020, 22:19
Winterlover

I, and i assume many others, feel your pain regarding the poorly made, incomplete and over priced boxsets so it was amusing to hear you bring that up.
The GT one was the last reissue i bought and when i received it one of the CDs was faulty so they sent me an entirely new boxset which was great i thought, no more skipping CDs!
Ripped the tracks to mp3 then put it away probably never to look at it again until the discussion came up on here about the discs getting fractures in them.
Checked mine and low and behold, mine were also cracked - well, CD1 and CD2 seem fine but CD3 is slightly cracked and, like you, the DVD looks ready to disintegrate if it even looks at a DVD player.
By the way, does anyone still have the postcards shoe-boxset?
Never bought it myself but i remember it being obscenely overpriced.

As for the podcast... agreed that there is a ton of filler which should have been relegated to b-sides or something.
I wanted to pick up on something though, i do find spectators of suicide to be a real dirge on the album but i think at that point you should have introduced them to the heavenly version which is leagues ahead and should have been on the album instead.
Album version is one of my least favourite tracks but the heavenly has always been one of my favourites.

Quote:
So the concept is this, basically. We're going to walk on this nation. We're going to walk on this racist power structure and we're going to say to the whole damn government stick 'em up, motherfucker this is a hold up. We come for what's ours" - Bobby Seale
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 29-02-2020 at 13:24.
Old 29-02-2020, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I, and i assume many others, feel your pain regarding the poorly made, incomplete and over priced boxsets so it was amusing to hear you bring that up.
The GT one was the last reissue i bought and when i received it one of the CDs was faulty so they sent me an entirely new boxset which was great i thought, no more skipping CDs!
Ripped the tracks to mp3 then put it away probably never to look at it again until the discussion came up on here about the discs getting fractures in them.
Checked mine and low and behold, mine were also cracked - well, CD1 and CD2 seem fine but CD3 is slightly cracked and, like you, the DVD looks ready to disintegrate if it even looks at a DVD player.
By the way, does anyone still have the postcards shoe-boxset?
Never bought it myself but i remember it being obscenely overpriced.

As for the podcast... agreed that there is a ton of filler which should have been relegated to b-sides or something.
I wanted to pick up on something though, i do find spectators of suicide to be a real dirge on the album but i think at that point you should have introduced them to the heavenly version which is leagues ahead and should have been on the album instead.
Album version is one of my least favourite tracks but the heavenly has always been one of my favourites.
Thanks for listening! I think the Heavenly Version will come up when we eventually get to B-Sides. Agree it's a better version.

I still have the shoebox Postcards thing.
It was definitely pricey.
Old 01-03-2020, 19:37
Knowlede Is Power

I've just been catching up with this. Really enjoying it so far - keep it up, chaps.

ps. The song one of you mentions about slicing up eyeballs is Debaser by Pixies, and Spectators of Suicide was played live at a Heavenly Records anniversary bash where they got a load of bands who were signed to Heavenly at some early point in their careers to play live. Somebody else on here may remember more details about this occasion but I believe it was also the only time they've played Starlover live.

For what it's worth, I love So Dead (fantastic vocal melody in my opinion), Crucifix Kiss and Methadone Pretty but I get what you lot mean about the album being too long and you may have switched off before you get to those tracks.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:28

Ep 4 is up!
Old 09-03-2020, 14:18
Knowlede Is Power

Great ep, really made me laugh a lot in several places, and reminded me why i dont ever listen to GATS in full.
Old 09-03-2020, 23:38
Doors slowly closing

Still enjoying this podcast, even when I disagree with any of your opinions.

Also loved revisiting GATS itself, which when I’m not comparing to other manics albums I always enjoy hugely.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 10-03-2020, 19:43
Bored of being bored

Really into the podcast. The Life Becoming a Landslide stuff made me laugh.

Getting into the real meaty stuff with the next few, so I'm really interested in hearing those ones!
Old 10-03-2020, 20:48
Doors slowly closing

I hope that anyone who was previously certain they wouldn't top (bottom?) the earlier gag about the drummer is sure n'more...

Old 11-03-2020, 19:51
Bored of being bored

I hope the jokes get increasingly piss-poor and laboured with each episode.
Old 11-03-2020, 23:34

Thanks for the lovely words, everyone! Very encouraging.
Old 13-03-2020, 22:33
Winterlover

Huh... the songs you think they're gonna hate they absolutely fucking love and vice versa, case in point being roses in the hospital! I'm quite surprised at the lack of love for it and clearly the two strongest tracks on the album being hated (from despair to where) or getting a lukewarm reception (la tristesse durera). Speaking of the latter, wasn't the title the last words of van gogh to his brother? Oh, and if i'd been drinking tea at the moment i heard a comparison to the lighthouse family i most certainly would have ruined a keyboard, good lord...

However, the pod was redeemed by the life becoming a landslide segment: extremely entertaining so well done you. My admiration for that track came late to me but yeah, it's either amazing or ludicrously over the top. Although the crescendo is quite beautiful.

Couple other things i picked up on - i seem to recall that the yourself lyrics are a reference to american psycho and bateman's obsessive daily routine. I think the novel was an influence on richey and most likely a part of their group reading list. With regard to the mysterious percussion on nostalgic pushead, i'm going to agree with that person on twitter who said it's a pool ball hitting a frying pan, i seem to remember sean mentioning that in one of the many many magazine interviews.

I do like that you're providing context about where the band are at at the time they made these albums since it informs so much of who they are i think, never moreso than the holy bible after their visits to the concentration camps. Very curious about the other's thoughts on that unforgiving granite obelisk of an album. I think it's worth mentioning though that the manics are a very reactionary band depending on the last thing they recorded and how it was received, hence why i think they dropped the blouses, eyeliner and sloganeering with this album. And ooh boy, will the holy bible be a wholesale rejection of the fm rock of gold against the soul.

We're all aware of how our own personal manics fandom waxes and wanes over the years but this pod and the music snippets have been stoking it up again. Which is nice.

For the from despair to where haters (hard to believe, i know), here is furious james from reading festival '94:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAsqRC4_34
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 14-03-2020, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Huh... the songs you think they're gonna hate they absolutely fucking love and vice versa, case in point being roses in the hospital! I'm quite surprised at the lack of love for it and clearly the two strongest tracks on the album being hated (from despair to where) or getting a lukewarm reception (la tristesse durera). Speaking of the latter, wasn't the title the last words of van gogh to his brother? Oh, and if i'd been drinking tea at the moment i heard a comparison to the lighthouse family i most certainly would have ruined a keyboard, good lord...

However, the pod was redeemed by the life becoming a landslide segment: extremely entertaining so well done you. My admiration for that track came late to me but yeah, it's either amazing or ludicrously over the top. Although the crescendo is quite beautiful.

Couple other things i picked up on - i seem to recall that the yourself lyrics are a reference to american psycho and bateman's obsessive daily routine. I think the novel was an influence on richey and most likely a part of their group reading list. With regard to the mysterious percussion on nostalgic pushead, i'm going to agree with that person on twitter who said it's a pool ball hitting a frying pan, i seem to remember sean mentioning that in one of the many many magazine interviews.

I do like that you're providing context about where the band are at at the time they made these albums since it informs so much of who they are i think, never moreso than the holy bible after their visits to the concentration camps. Very curious about the other's thoughts on that unforgiving granite obelisk of an album. I think it's worth mentioning though that the manics are a very reactionary band depending on the last thing they recorded and how it was received, hence why i think they dropped the blouses, eyeliner and sloganeering with this album. And ooh boy, will the holy bible be a wholesale rejection of the fm rock of gold against the soul.

We're all aware of how our own personal manics fandom waxes and wanes over the years but this pod and the music snippets have been stoking it up again. Which is nice.

For the from despair to where haters (hard to believe, i know), here is furious james from reading festival '94:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAsqRC4_34
Thank you for the critical analysis of our critical analysis haha!

I, personally, LOVE From Despair to Where, however I think that on an album where there are some truly awful moments and some truly bombastic, ludicrous moments, it gets lost in the shuffle and then didn't get as much attention as we possibly should have given it.

I agree that they're very reactionary in their career. I think I mention that on the next episode, but we recorded it in January so I cant quite remember!

The reactions to the Holy Bible are... polarised. And it's a weird episode.

Thank you for listening