Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-09-2010, 15:54
Bored of being bored

A bit of advice requested

I've become completely out-of-touch with all things Manics over the past couple of years, so I was wondering if people could perhaps give me a little bit of advice. I've got tickets to Aberdeen and Glasgow, but ever since I first heard the new single, I've been wondering whether or not I can really be bothered travelling down to Glasgow just to see them when I'll be seeing them in Aberdeen the next day. Having heard the b-sides today, I'm even less sure if I can be bothered.

I've gone to multiple gigs on the past few tours; in particular I travelled down to London to see them at the Roundhouse twice on the JFPL tour, and ended up having to leave the last gig early because I just couldn't bear to hear Tsunami, Australia and Autumnsong ever again after being subjected to them the previous night and in Glasgow before that. Tolerate followed by a portion of fried rice from the Chinese across the road was a far better ending to the gig.

But that was JFPL, which was a great album, and I've pretty much completely fallen out of love with music ever since then. So, my question is this: can anyone who has heard the album in full advise me whether it's really worth going down to Glasgow to see them, or should I just give the ticket to someone else? Bearing in mind that I love GT, GATS, THB, KYE, LB and JFPL, I love at least half of SATT, and I'll even listen to a few tracks from TIMTTMY occasionally; but I absolutely detest EMG, which sounds like the blueprint for PFAYM. I also get the feeling that last year's resurrection of Tsunami and Australia (coupled with the whole "last shot at mass communication" ethos) means that the non-PFAYM tracks played at these gigs will be more "Autumnsong" than "Imperial Bodybags".
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 11-09-2010, 16:04
Winterlover

Don't go
Old 11-09-2010, 16:18
Footprint of history

I'm also deciding whether or not to sell my ticket. But it's the whole British Sea Power + the Manics thing that is selling it to me. Even if I'm not that fussed about seeing the Manics at the moment, it seems like too good an opportunity to miss.
Old 11-09-2010, 16:20
Builder of routine

yes, this tour will have definitely pop sound, but it all depends on what you want-expect - punky pogo or flippy floppy jumping. the Manics are always great live, I'm sure the time you'll have this year won't be wasted, as always.
Old 11-09-2010, 16:21
Administrator

I would say it's quite likely that the setlist for the two dates, if they are right next to each other, would be pretty identical if not identical. So if that's going to disappoint you, perhaps selling is a good idea. I think it's a pretty good bet to assume that most of the gig will be a handful of new tracks, at most maybe 4 or 5, most of the hits, probably only the singles from most of the albums and one or two songs they've classes as rarities for this tour - which they might either play every night or play odd nights. But who knows. Sounds like we might get some acoustic tracks, although it will probably be the everlasting/small black flowers.

I reckon one gig would still be great, but maybe not twice if those songs don't float your boat. However, you might enjoy aberdeen so much that you regret selling your ticket? British Sea Power should be great too.
Old 11-09-2010, 16:24
Doors slowly closing

British Sea Power are the main reason I'm going. I would have sold my ticket otherwise.

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 11-09-2010, 16:25
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
British Sea Power are the main reason I'm going. I would have sold my ticket otherwise.
I just wish the billing was the other way round
Old 11-09-2010, 16:26
Doors slowly closing

Ha ha!

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 11-09-2010, 16:26
Footprint of history

This is why I never go to more than one date on the same tour. I think going to the very next gig is a bit much since you'll be getting more or less the same thing when the last one was fresh in your memory. It might also belittle your enjoyment of first night, in a way.
Old 11-09-2010, 16:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I just wish the billing was the other way round
Nah, this way you can go home before the manics .
Old 11-09-2010, 16:29
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Nah, this way you can go home before the manics .
haha. Gonna be seeing BSP on the 4th of October anyway, then again on the 26th supporting Manics. Never seen them before, either. It's gonna be a good month.
Old 11-09-2010, 16:37
Administrator

I haven't seen them for a long time, but should be great. It's one of the main reasons I'm doing more than one manics date, that and the excuse to catch up with people.
Old 11-09-2010, 18:36
Bored out of my mind

I'd say to the OP go to the first date that you have a ticket for and see how you feel. If the second gig is the day after the first gig it might be tricky to pass on a spare ticket but maybe you could ask someone you know who might want to use it etc. Seeing BSP is the main reason I'm pushing myself to go, don't really like driving into Birmingham at the best of times as the way the roads split up confuse me!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-09-2010, 18:58
Freed from the century

I'd say that when in doubt, go once. Better to be left wanting more than to end up begrudging the time you spent.

I hope you enjoy whichever you choose.
Old 11-09-2010, 19:27
Doors slowly closing

If you're in doubt, go to Glasgow and skip Aberdeen, not the other way round.
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine