Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Manics stop performing and recording?
No 68 89.47%
Yes 4 5.26%
they should have stopped years ago 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2014, 19:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

They're blind, baby.
Old 06-07-2014, 19:38
Winterlover

I think it's OK to be critical of the band if it is in context and contributes something to the discussion; I like discussing all kinds of music on FD not just how amazing everyone thinks the Manics are. I'm also all for fair criticism and comment. The main problem I have is when people say or "they shouldn't make music anymore" within the context of a narrow lens that extends from about 1991 to 1996. A band not being quite as good as they once were isn't necessarily a reason to quit. Form is temporary as they say. There are other bands. This is not a football team. If you don't love them any more fire up Spotify right now; there is a world of amazing amazing music literally seconds away that you can enthuse about day and night. Just because the Manics have moved outside your pre-defined individualistic template of what makes (or made) them good, does not make the present day band any less worthwhile.
Old 06-07-2014, 19:44
Freed from the century

Dumb question and it's not like anyone's answer matters because it's their decision at the end of the day.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 06-07-2014, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
... The main problem I have is when people say or "they shouldn't make music anymore" ... If you don't love them any more fire up Spotify right now; there is a world of amazing amazing music literally seconds away that you can enthuse about day and night.
I don't know if this is aimed at my comments, but they can carry on making music for all I care. I just don't enjoy what they're producing. I still enthuse about pre-1996 Manics, I still enthuse about 90% of the bands I discovered during the 1980s/early 90s. There isn't anything on Spotify that would appeal to me. New bands are shite. I'm ecstatic over the bands I've loved pre the decline in good bands.

As I said, I'm interested in what else JDB could do outside the band. I don't come here to bitch about how I can't relate to the band anymore. I don't offer any opinions on new material threads. I just answered a question on a poll to give balance to all the predictable OMFG I LOVE THE MANICS 4EVA!!! comments.
Old 06-07-2014, 19:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
I just answered a question on a poll to give balance to all the predictable OMFG I LOVE THE MANICS 4EVA!!! comments.
On FD? ha.
Old 06-07-2014, 19:57

See, I don't even open threads about their new material
Old 06-07-2014, 20:00
Bored out of my mind

The Manics won't ever split up, EVER!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-07-2014, 20:03
Winterlover

Quote:
I don't know if this is aimed at my comments
No.
Old 06-07-2014, 20:23
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Yes, but I wouldn't feel satisfied. I don't have it in my character to sell sub standard pots.

Don't know if this has ever been mentioned before, or if anyone else thinks this, but I really don't think JDB and Wire "gel" anymore. It's probably sacrilege to some fans to imagine anyone else being involved with the writing set-up of MSP, but I'd be interested to hear something if Wire collaborated with someone else on lyrics. Or if Wire just didn't write the lyrics.

James doesn't seem to me like he needs a band. He should move on to something else musically - film sountracks for eg.
I find myself agreeing with this and parts of your previous post.

re: studio as recreation centre to escape their families - I'm sure other bands use their studios for such activities as well IF they own them. But they way the Manics talk about Faster sometimes sound as if making music is bottom priority for them. Which makes the creative process sound cheap. Like "oh, Sean finished this while we slept in front of sky sports." Not smart and not cool.

re: "gelling" I always felt Nick's lyrics were a bit hit and miss, and James' music can sometimes really lift them. Maybe because Wire now writes his own music as well James just gets the "surplus"-lyrics? Maybe he changes less than before?

re: James moving on. I think he loves the camaraderie and the shorter tours with the band. Other than that, he would probably be happier doing soundtracks or writing for other artists. He is the musical director and he turns Manics albums into that direction - more instrumentals, less of his own vocals where there's singing.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 06-07-2014, 20:43
Winterlover

Quote:
Don't know if this has ever been mentioned before, or if anyone else thinks this, but I really don't think JDB and Wire "gel" anymore.
The comment I hear most from friends, and friends of friends is that the lyrics don't sit nearly as well now, like they just cram words in for the sake etc etc.
Old 06-07-2014, 20:54
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
The Manics won't ever split up, EVER!
'Split' (like success) is an ugly word, which is why I avoided it when I started one of these threads round JFPL time, and presumably the same goes for OP here. Maybe 'wind down' would be more apt than 'stop' as the latter is unlikely to happen completely: say they might put out the odd track online and do a gig here and there but no more full-scale tours or proper albums for the foreseeable future...
Old 06-07-2014, 20:56
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
I love how we all profess to know what's best for the manics going forward and how we feel entitled to have music from them. The Manics wanted to, they'd pull the plug and split but there is an undeniable bond with this band. People criticise the simple nature of lyrics and songs now as opposed to the 90's and blame it on a lack of ideas. It's ridiculous, the lyrics and music got simpler the moment Richey fucked off. This is not a bad thing. I am glad the band has stuck around through periods of success and failure. They love doing this and to criticise them for that because they don't write songs solely for us then so what?
Old 06-07-2014, 21:29
An imitation of dignity

reading this thread makes me incredibly sad.

am i right that this is a manics fans forum? am i also right in reading a thread asking whether they should call it a day? really?

stop wasting yours and my time and go and listen to another band. stop being so f**king negative.

there is no other band around right now that i can think of that has done 12 albums and is still getting 4 and 5 star reviews album after album.

i despair.....
Old 06-07-2014, 22:05
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by db26 View Post
reading this thread makes me incredibly sad.

am i right that this is a manics fans forum? am i also right in reading a thread asking whether they should call it a day? really?

stop wasting yours and my time and go and listen to another band. stop being so f**king negative.

there is no other band around right now that i can think of that has done 12 albums and is still getting 4 and 5 star reviews album after album.

i despair.....
I think most people are now just discussing the changes they perceive in the Manics, likely developments. You won't find more than about 2 people on here who really think the band should split. Which, in my opinion, is a spiteful and childish attitude and slightly out of place here. But expressing disenchantment surely is acceptable?

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 06-07-2014, 22:06
I live to fall asleep

2 people DID actually vote yes! I seem to have guessed right.

Lämna hatet åt gamanar