Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-01-2011, 13:55
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
The end of Cardiff Afterlife, it sounds like a badly cut mp3
I love the way it ends so abrubtly, it just shows we enjoy different elements of what the band does.

Manic Street Preachers

Rock City Oct 1994; Newport May 1996; Knebworth Aug1996; Exeter Oct 1996; Reading April 1997; Cardiff Dec 1999; Manchester Mar 2001; Brixton Mar 2001; Llandudno Aug 2001; Leeds Festival Aug 2001; Birmingham Dec 2002; Cardiff Dec 2002; Brighton Dec 2004; Manchester Dec 2006; Sheffield May 2007; Bristol June 2007; Birmingham Dec 2007; Reading Festival Aug 2008; Royal Festival Hall Sep 2008; Camden Roundhouse May 2009; Sheffield Oct 2010; London O2 Dec 2011; Manchester Sep 2013; Leeds Mar 2014; Manchester Dec 2014;

James Dean Bradfield

Manchester May 2006; Sheffield Oct 2006; Sheffield Graves Art Gallery Oct 2011
Old 22-01-2011, 14:13
Doors slowly closing

1) Production on GT, so bad. Half the songs could've been great (see live versions!)
2) Production on some of THB, no fan of the dodgy bathroomy vocals.
3) Gold Against the Soul - far too overproduced.
4) 70% of Postcards for a Young Man - They clearly wanted to rush release a new album, and tried too hard to make it sound commercial. As a result, the songs suffered.

I couldn't care less about the Underdogs edit, i have a version that doesn't include the Edit anyway. One of my favourite songs off SATT.
Old 22-01-2011, 14:20
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiB View Post
I love the way it ends so abrubtly, it just shows we enjoy different elements of what the band does.
i love the way cardiff afterlife just stops, so much that i actually don't like the bonus tracks starting after it when i play the japanese version of the album
Old 22-01-2011, 14:25
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'd always interpretated the 'entertainment' jobs as the 'pointless' ones, I thought they were denigrating themselves. Whoops.
This is what I think, too. Nicky struggles with the question of whether or not there is any point in making music if it doesn't reach a mass audience, and the one of whether it truly has an effect on the people that it does reach. The lyrics of this song strike me much more as depressive musings on those topics than as a put-down of working people.
Old 22-01-2011, 14:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiB View Post
Think I agree here. My take is that they're not moaning at the internet itself, more that it has become a time waster for many people. I mean, my niece spends HOURS on Facebook, ultimately spouting a load of crap that doesn't need to be mentioned to anybody whatsover. "Mmm...pie for tea". Thanks for sharing that with us. Is it this that Nicky is getting at, rather than people using the internet to read the news etc?
Partly, but he's talked in interviews about 'lies' and blogs and forum posts in relation to the song. But the whole notion is ludicrous that the internet is some revolution in consuming boredom and time-wasting and gossip and half-truths.

So you read a rumour on a website instead of hearing it down the pub? Big deal. Or you read an outright lie on a blog instead of the more traditional route of a tabloid newspaper. So what?

"Without any kind of consequence" Nicky? No, that's not true. In many ways the internet is great leveller of class and money and allows the wronged to make a blog or post on a forum, or get a twitter account, as much as the next person.

But most of all I just hate the sense of snobbery I get from it. I have a real problem that after a lifetime of addressing class issues from his background that in this song he's basically supporting the establishment, saying only 'real professionals' are allowed public opinions, and the great unwashed are just a billion liars, AND that anyone reading those lies lack the critical faculties of someone reading a real-life newspaper. I think it stinks, and if that isn't a message he wanted to imply then I consider the lyrics and his explanation of the song's meaning deeply unsatisfactory.

But I really do love the guitar solos.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 22-01-2011, 14:55
Builder of routine

When nicky interviewed Tony Benn, think he expected him to agree with his anti-internet stance. Can't remember exactly what Tony said but the gist was not everything on the internet is crap. Nicky promised to give it another go. Liar.
Old 22-01-2011, 17:20
Doors slowly closing

if they were in fact calling us "freaks", then it's perhaps a self-depreciating way of acknowledging their fans who (mostly) stick by them, thick and thin. it would be very, very nice if they used it as an obscure reference to a Marillion b-side, the rather brilliant Freaks.

as for really, really bad lyrics, that whole "Godfather III" shit makes me cringe and has rendered it impossible for me to listen to TFHBH4E ever again.
blog
Old 22-01-2011, 17:58
Bored out of my mind

Rel, you are probably right about Entertainment. As James did say about being 'bottom of the food chain' being a musician!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-01-2011, 17:59
Bored out of my mind

The lyrics that people say are cringeworthy or whatever I just laugh at and move on to the next lyric. I don't sit there thinking 'How/why did they write that???'
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-01-2011, 18:07
Winterlover

Good for you.
Old 22-01-2011, 18:12
Doors slowly closing

I hate the line in Mr Carbohydrate (I think it's that one anyway,) about wanting to work in a bank. Go on then Wire, get on with it. Quit the job that thousands would love to have and go and work in a bank. Seemingly he doesn't really want that, because he's still in the Manics, in which case he shouldn't have whinged in the first place.

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 22-01-2011, 18:59
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Partly, but he's talked in interviews about 'lies' and blogs and forum posts in relation to the song. But the whole notion is ludicrous that the internet is some revolution in consuming boredom and time-wasting and gossip and half-truths.

So you read a rumour on a website instead of hearing it down the pub? Big deal. Or you read an outright lie on a blog instead of the more traditional route of a tabloid newspaper. So what?

"Without any kind of consequence" Nicky? No, that's not true. In many ways the internet is great leveller of class and money and allows the wronged to make a blog or post on a forum, or get a twitter account, as much as the next person.

But most of all I just hate the sense of snobbery I get from it. I have a real problem that after a lifetime of addressing class issues from his background that in this song he's basically supporting the establishment, saying only 'real professionals' are allowed public opinions, and the great unwashed are just a billion liars, AND that anyone reading those lies lack the critical faculties of someone reading a real-life newspaper. I think it stinks, and if that isn't a message he wanted to imply then I consider the lyrics and his explanation of the song's meaning deeply unsatisfactory.

But I really do love the guitar solos.
Good post, well argued. And yes, the solos are fabulous...

Manic Street Preachers

Rock City Oct 1994; Newport May 1996; Knebworth Aug1996; Exeter Oct 1996; Reading April 1997; Cardiff Dec 1999; Manchester Mar 2001; Brixton Mar 2001; Llandudno Aug 2001; Leeds Festival Aug 2001; Birmingham Dec 2002; Cardiff Dec 2002; Brighton Dec 2004; Manchester Dec 2006; Sheffield May 2007; Bristol June 2007; Birmingham Dec 2007; Reading Festival Aug 2008; Royal Festival Hall Sep 2008; Camden Roundhouse May 2009; Sheffield Oct 2010; London O2 Dec 2011; Manchester Sep 2013; Leeds Mar 2014; Manchester Dec 2014;

James Dean Bradfield

Manchester May 2006; Sheffield Oct 2006; Sheffield Graves Art Gallery Oct 2011
Old 31-01-2011, 21:32
Desire on its knees

the only lyric i find that really annoys me is the very last 2 lines of condemned to rock n roll from generation terrorists.

"there's nothing i wanna see, there's nowhere i wanna go".

because that's just bullshit.
21-08-99 Chelmsford / 31-12-99 Cardiff / 30-03-01 Brixton / 31-03-01 Brixton / 25-08-01 Reading / 07-12-02 Wembley / 08-12-02 Brixton / 11-12-02 Nottingham / 12-04-05 Cambridge / 22-10-06 (JDB) Cambridge / 08-05-07 Cambridge / 11-12-07 Brixton / 23-08-08 Reading / 29-05-09 Camden / 05-08-10 Hammersmith / 01-11-10 Cambridge / 15-12-10 Brixton / 21-01-11 Brixton / 17-12-11 Greenwich / 06-11-12 (JDB) Brick Lane / 24-09-13 Shepherds Bush / 11-04-14 Brixton / 15-12-14 Camden / 16-05-16 South Kensington / 04-05-18 Wembley / 14-05-19 Cambridge / 11-10-21 Cambridge / 20-10-21 Kingston Upon Thames / 03-12-21 Wembley
Old 31-01-2011, 21:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by a story on the radio View Post
the only lyric i find that really annoys me is the very last 2 lines of condemned to rock n roll from generation terrorists.

"there's nothing i wanna see, there's nowhere i wanna go".

because that's just bullshit.
I quite like that line. I've definitely felt like that before.

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 31-01-2011, 21:35
Bored out of my mind

I love the ending lyric of Condemned To Rock & Roll.