Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-03-2012, 19:02
Born to end

Jubilee Manics playlist

Hello, I want to make a Manics playlist for the Queen's jubilee in June, made up of songs which reference the royal family/royalty in general. I blasted one out last year instead of watching the Royal wedding, but I'm sure it was a missing a few songs. This is what I've got so far for this year:

Democracy Coma
Repeat
We Her Majesty's Prisoners
Charles Windsor
Sculpture of Man
Elvis Impersonator/Blackpool Pier
First Republic
My Little Empire
Royal Correspondant
Freedom of Speech Won't Feed my Children
Door to the River
The Love of Richard Nixon
No Jubilees
Red Rubber

Can anyone help me out with any I'm missing?

Last edited by The Torture Garden; 23-03-2012 at 00:21.
Old 22-03-2012, 19:26
Doors slowly closing

The Masses Against The Classes ("The slave begins by demanding justice and ends with wanting to wear a crown.")

Depends how tenuous you want to go I guess... some just on titles...

Australia (The Queen is still their monarch)
Dying Breed
Failure Bound
The Girl Who Wanted To Be God (!)
Hanging On
Removables
There By The Grace Of God
Another Invented Disease
Distractions
All Is Vanity
Pretension/Repulsion
Little Trolls (!)
Imperial Bodybags

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 22-03-2012, 20:49
A self-made vacuum

You could add Stay Beautiful only because of the chorus.
Beware!
Old 22-03-2012, 20:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Yeah, speaking of, what are the Manics doing for the jubilee? Those songs don't have much conviction to me considering they talk about doing an anti-jubilee gig then don't bother to follow through with something quite simple. (No, this isn't in the same vain of asking Richey to take his own life to prove he's '4 REAL') Yeah, that's right Nick, dismiss anything remotely political as 'Red Wedge'! All talk as per.

At the risk of sounding like a disgruntled 6th former, what is there to celebrate about these three men any more? The past?

The band proclaim themselves to be something other than what they are (a political band/a band that makes a difference/a band with a vision) and really those days are long behind them, and have been really since Richey left. Richey was very post modern in the sense of an individual trying to make a change, do something different and was vocal about that. Yet the other three are now really trying to get people to celebrate with them a personal victory, a victory that the three of them have lots of money and don't have to really work a 9-5 for a living, which is hard to get excited about. Whilst there is nothing at all wrong with being that kind of band or hanging up your boots, what is wrong is just how they represent themselves to be something otherwise, something they used to be (and are most certainly not these days) that just doesn't sit right with me. It's a bit like a impersonator band really, a bit of a parody. Why pretend to be something you are most evidently not/trade on a past that made them important thanks mostly (if not wholly) to Richey?

Makes you think of all the roles Richey played in the band: historian, philosopher,politician, poet, orator, artist, designer, image and media mogul, to name but a few. The other three will always be musicians to me, and musicians only. Richey could have joined any other band and made them massive, it was his letter writing as 'Minister of Properganda' that got them noticed after all. I think without him, these three would have been another dead end 'Funeral In Berlin' kind of band.
Old 22-03-2012, 21:47
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
Yeah, speaking of, what are the Manics doing for the jubilee? Those songs don't have much conviction to me considering they talk about doing an anti-jubilee gig then don't bother to follow through with something quite simple. (No, this isn't in the same vain of asking Richey to take his own life to prove he's '4 REAL') Yeah, that's right Nick, dismiss anything remotely political as 'Red Wedge'! All talk as per.

At the risk of sounding like a disgruntled 6th former, what is there to celebrate about these three men any more? The past?

The band proclaim themselves to be something other than what they are (a political band/a band that makes a difference/a band with a vision) and really those days are long behind them, and have been really since Richey left. Richey was very post modern in the sense of an individual trying to make a change, do something different and was vocal about that. Yet the other three are now really trying to get people to celebrate with them a personal victory, a victory that the three of them have lots of money and don't have to really work a 9-5 for a living, which is hard to get excited about. Whilst there is nothing at all wrong with being that kind of band or hanging up your boots, what is wrong is just how they represent themselves to be something otherwise, something they used to be (and are most certainly not these days) that just doesn't sit right with me. It's a bit like a impersonator band really, a bit of a parody. Why pretend to be something you are most evidently not/trade on a past that made them important thanks mostly (if not wholly) to Richey?

Makes you think of all the roles Richey played in the band: historian, philosopher,politician, poet, orator, artist, designer, image and media mogul, to name but a few. The other three will always be musicians to me, and musicians only. Richey could have joined any other band and made them massive, it was his letter writing as 'Minister of Properganda' that got them noticed after all. I think without him, these three would have been another dead end 'Funeral In Berlin' kind of band.
Nicky did have that rant about the Royal Family at the Roundhouse gig. OBVIOUSLY it's not the same as what you mentioned above and probably isn't as articulate or pointed as anything Richey would have said, but it's better than what most artists do when playing a commercial, iTunes-sponsored, broadcast gig.

But yes, I agree that it would be good if they did something.

As for the song, does Found that Soul count ("not a subject am I")?
Old 22-03-2012, 22:25
Bored out of my mind

Quote:

Without 'those three' where would Richey have had the platform to get his lyrics/ideas across? Apart from writing poetry or something. It's like the latest issue of NME, not a single mention of any of the other band members. I hate it when I start to feel this anger towards the memory of Richey cos it's not his fault, it's the media. ALL of them are/were integral parts of the band.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-03-2012, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Without 'those three' where would Richey have had the platform to get his lyrics/ideas across? Apart from writing poetry or something. It's like the latest issue of NME, not a single mention of any of the other band members. I hate it when I start to feel this anger towards the memory of Richey cos it's not his fault, it's the media. ALL of them are/were integral parts of the band.
I said he could have joined ANY band and made them big. I'm sure another band would have taken his ideas on if they were given the chance, but he went with the MSP and got them noticed. Without him, in my opinion they'd have been another Funeral in Berlin, or some other Blackwood band nonentity.

Last edited by SHR; 22-03-2012 at 23:20.
Old 23-03-2012, 08:17
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
I said he could have joined ANY band and made them big. I'm sure another band would have taken his ideas on if they were given the chance, but he went with the MSP and got them noticed. Without him, in my opinion they'd have been another Funeral in Berlin, or some other Blackwood band nonentity.
Er, no, they would have been the Manic Street Preachers with or without Richey. I don't think James' talent would have stayed hidden away for long, with or without Richey's lyrics. Yes, I love Richey's lyrics, but putting him above the rest of the band members is something that has always been a bugbear for me. And let's not forget the talented Mr Moore as well!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 23-03-2012, 08:57
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Er, no, they would have been the Manic Street Preachers with or without Richey. I don't think James' talent would have stayed hidden away for long, with or without Richey's lyrics. Yes, I love Richey's lyrics, but putting him above the rest of the band members is something that has always been a bugbear for me. And let's not forget the talented Mr Moore as well!
I think all of the four was essential,especially at the beginning.Every one of them with a specific role.That's why they are still a band after more than 20 years.As far as I know no one of them has never spoken or acted like he was the most important one for the band existence.And that's why I love the Manics both with and without Richey.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:45
Doors slowly closing

Clive: Well I thought that Richey obviously shaped the course of the band's history hugely, but it was perhaps wrong to imply the other 3 were just jobbing musicians...
Jennifer: Yeah, right? And Nicky has written some good lyrics in his time too... I'm not convinced you can say they wouldn't have been some kind of success without Richey, even if they would have had a very different career. I mean I starred in Leprechaun, but I still went on to appear in Friends. No, I don't know what that really means either.

Jean-Claude: If there had been no Richey, they should have set fire to more things. That is my opinion.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 23-03-2012, 10:39
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling#Girl View Post
I think all of the four was essential,especially at the beginning.Every one of them with a specific role.That's why they are still a band after more than 20 years.As far as I know no one of them has never spoken or acted like he was the most important one for the band existence.And that's why I love the Manics both with and without Richey.
Exactly!

Anyway, songs for the Diamond Jubilee - Charles Windsor though I expect that one has already been mentioned!
Old 23-03-2012, 11:44
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
The Masses Against The Classes ("The slave begins by demanding justice and ends with wanting to wear a crown.")

Depends how tenuous you want to go I guess... some just on titles...

Australia (The Queen is still their monarch)
Dying Breed
Failure Bound
The Girl Who Wanted To Be God (!)
Hanging On
Removables
There By The Grace Of God
Another Invented Disease
Distractions
All Is Vanity
Pretension/Repulsion
Little Trolls (!)
Imperial Bodybags
I was going for ones with explicit references in the lyrics or title, so Masses will definitely be added, thanks. The tenuous ones raised a smile though!
Old 23-03-2012, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling#Girl View Post
Any other meat and potato bloke in a band could have done the music and Nicky contributed mediocre lyrics at best. Richey did the letter writing and got people interested. It's my bet they wouldn't have been noticed and put into the media spotlight if it weren't for Richey. He could have done it for any band but did it for the MSP.
Old 23-03-2012, 21:16
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Any other meat and potato bloke in a band could have done the music and Nicky contributed mediocre lyrics at best. Richey did the letter writing and got people interested. It's my bet they wouldn't have been noticed and put into the media spotlight if it weren't for Richey. He could have done it for any band but did it for the MSP.
James' amazing vocals and guitar playing would have gone unnoticed?

And without him the songs with Richey's lyrics that you love so much would have turned out as what?
Old 23-03-2012, 21:30
Desire on its knees

I think none of them would have had any greater success on their own. They gave each other a tremendous amount of self-confidence, imo it is almost a sacrilege talking about the most important band member