Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-06-2021, 16:58
Born to end

Need help creating a Manics playlist

I'm going to the Brighton gig later this year with a friend who doesn't really know the Manics too well, and I've offered to make her a pre-gig playlist. I am really struggling to not just put all my favourites on it - so I would appreciate some help!

She has never really been a fan but has been aware of the Manics since the late 90s... I would imagine she knows all the EMG, TIMTTMY and maybe SATT singles, but not much else. She's generally into rock music (Nine Inch Nails, Tool, GnR, Alice in Chains) but not exclusively - she has fairly eclectic taste so I reckon she would enjoy a range of Manics songs. I think she only has Spotify so I'm restricted to songs available there (I'm a luddite and just listen to music I uploaded to my computer from CDs, so I have no idea what's on Spotify and what isn't).

I want this playlist to focus on songs that they might realistically play on the tour, but I'd also like to include a few others that will entice her to love the Manics

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 24-06-2021, 17:26
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
You could use their setlists for some idea. If I put together a playlist there's a good chance they'd sell their ticket.
Try stuff from GATS, the singles from their recent albums. (Can't see the monstrous sound of International Blue disappearing from their setlists)
Best I can offer at this point.
Old 25-06-2021, 17:24
Knowlede Is Power

Good fun this

Guess we know pretty much what the tour setlist will be. 22 songs and five of which will come from the new album. I would whack live versions onto your playlist where you can (especially for You Stole The Sun, Motorcycle Emptiness etc). Need to include some heavier / rarer songs so I would go for something like:

International Blue
Motorcycle Emptiness (live)
Masses Against The Classes
You Stole The Sun (live version, you like this girl right?)
Walk Me To The Bridge
Slash N Burn
Stay Beautiful
Tsunami (live!!!)
Tolerate (boring now but needs must)
Design For Life (as above)
Enola / Alone or No Surface. Or both
You Love Us
Motown Junk
Little Baby Nothing
Hold Me Like A Heaven
Autumnsong (every non-Manics fan loves this)
Your Love Alone
From Despair To Where
Faster
Black Dog On My Shoulder
A Billion Balconies
Europa Ghet Durch Mich
Orwellian
This Is Yesterday
Revol or PCP
Anything from KYE
Song For A Departure
Solitude Sometimes Is
Send Away The Tigers / Imperial Bodybags
Anthem For A Lost Cause / 30 Year War
Maybe a cover or two like Out Of Time or Rock N Roll Music. Even Umbrella

I reckon I would start with something along those lines. Loads missed but there always will be if you’re going for 30 tracks
Old 28-06-2021, 09:08
Desire on its knees

I've hadn't given them much consideration over the years, but after trying to get into a few bands recently I'm realising the Spotify 'This Is [band name]' playlists are actually quite decent when it comes to a rounded introduction to a band. I'd always assumed they were just algorithmically-driven, most-played-tracks things, but I've definitely found a few where a band's full output is carefully considered, not just the greatest hits.

saying that, the 'This Is Manic Street Preachers' playlist is more or less as you'd expect - very much in line with obvious setlist standards (Tolerate / ADFL / Motorcycle / YLA / YSTS are the first 5 on there) - so maybe run with that as a base, but factor in a few more THB / JFPL tracks higher up in the set to satisfy the rockier aspect you're looking for?