Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Resistance is Futile Album and Tour Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-01-2018, 09:01
Son of Stopped's Avatar
Son of Stopped Son of Stopped is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Make a cup of tea
Age: 43
Posts: 14,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Makes a change for there to be no title track. Couple of cringey titles in there but there always are anyway. What rhymes with algorithms?
Bro-ken al-go-rithms
Like The Beatles Roadie Maaal Evans
Who got shot in America that prisonnnn
Mal's manuscript for Beatles biography went miss-ing
Watch The Winged Beatle Movie on You-Tube
Bro-ken al-go-rithms
As dangerous as glue from Air-fix

(None of you have heard it so it's canon)
__________________
www.bridgesacrossborders.net "ORDERED WHAT CALMNESS MEANT" https://youtu.be/KGjbb_f_hn4
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-01-2018, 13:14
Flint's Avatar
Flint Flint is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mancunia
Age: 30
Posts: 6,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
What rhymes with algorithms?
Funky rhythms!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-01-2018, 16:16
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Funky rhythms!
Al Gore schisms
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| Porco Tunes: soundcloud.com/fdporco | New Track *'Crashed'*[Video]
“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-01-2018, 15:17
Automatik's Avatar
Automatik Automatik is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: There By The Grace Of God CD1
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Nicky confirmed it in an interview when IB came out.
Ah, hence your 'actually'.

Didn't see the interview.
__________________
What a mess
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13-01-2018, 08:17
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 35
Posts: 14,142
Anyway, on a more serious note a couple of the titles are a bit vague. Summat with a title like The Left Behind could be another 30 Year War or it could be some introspective nostalgia.. Since the last album there's been some massive stuff you might expect em to write about or at least nod towards - Brexit*, Trump, Grenfell being the main ones off the top of me head and they give you.a fuck load of asides too. There's not much in that tracklisting to immediately suggest they are addressing the big issues... Maybe People Give In is about people believing Farage, Gove and Johnson represent their best interests, maybe the victims of Grenfell are The Left Behind. Maybe I'm just plucking at straws. 15 years ago, you'd expect them to cover this shit.

*bet Wire voted Leave.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 13-01-2018, 10:23
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 7,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Anyway, on a more serious note a couple of the titles are a bit vague. Summat with a title like The Left Behind could be another 30 Year War or it could be some introspective nostalgia.. Since the last album there's been some massive stuff you might expect em to write about or at least nod towards - Brexit*, Trump, Grenfell being the main ones off the top of me head and they give you.a fuck load of asides too. There's not much in that tracklisting to immediately suggest they are addressing the big issues... Maybe People Give In is about people believing Farage, Gove and Johnson represent their best interests, maybe the victims of Grenfell are The Left Behind. Maybe I'm just plucking at straws. 15 years ago, you'd expect them to cover this shit.

*bet Wire voted Leave.
They almost never talk about current politics. Always wait 50 years then go, "well I know what you should've done!"
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • London KoKo 2006 • The Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • London Astoria 2007 • London Brixton Academy 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • London O2 Arena 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush Empire 2013 • London Brixton Academy 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • London Wembley Arena 2018
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 13-01-2018, 11:01
Son of Stopped's Avatar
Son of Stopped Son of Stopped is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Make a cup of tea
Age: 43
Posts: 14,964
I am expecting the least political album they've done. But then, do people still need songs like that?
After propaganda revealed about frequencies and studio trickery and subconscious triggering is the answer to look for more propaganda?

And by typing that I realise this album could be their most dateless both in time and social activity!

Memberberry Street Preachers!
__________________
www.bridgesacrossborders.net "ORDERED WHAT CALMNESS MEANT" https://youtu.be/KGjbb_f_hn4
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13-01-2018, 15:41
Glyn Glyn is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 532
Always a danger of taking what Wire says too seriously but he has repeated the point a few times now that the central theme of this album will be the things that inspire him. Reasons to be cheerful in a meloncholy manner.

Seems to be titles relating to poetry (Larkin, Dylan Thomas ) ,art (Yves Klein), music (Bowie) and photography (Vivian Maier) so chuck hoovering, R.S Thomas and dog walking in there somewhere and I think that'll about cover it

Last edited by Glyn; 13-01-2018 at 15:47.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13-01-2018, 18:02
Europa Gluten Free's Avatar
Europa Gluten Free Europa Gluten Free is offline
Hold me she said, Love me to Death
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
Always a danger of taking what Wire says too seriously but he has repeated the point a few times now that the central theme of this album will be the things that inspire him. Reasons to be cheerful in a meloncholy manner.

Seems to be titles relating to poetry (Larkin, Dylan Thomas ) ,art (Yves Klein), music (Bowie) and photography (Vivian Maier) so chuck hoovering, R.S Thomas and dog walking in there somewhere and I think that'll about cover it
You know, as long as Dave Eringa and Jimbo haven't gone too mad with the production, and it's not as shit as PFAYM, I'd be happy enough with that!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 14-01-2018, 12:40
Automatik's Avatar
Automatik Automatik is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: There By The Grace Of God CD1
Posts: 761
It wouldn't surprise me if Resistance Is Futile was the working title of the album, that stuck.

As Europa Gluten Free says above in reply to Glyn, if it's a list of things that inspire Wire, and if the usual JDB/Eringa work is solid, and if it's not as dull as PFAYM was, I'll be satisfied.

I'm excited by the choice of most of the topics we've identified and as someone pointed out in another thread, I was afraid that Nicky might go overboard on the A-Level politics, particularly given how trendy politics has become.

Frankly, I'll be pleased if this is an album about 'reasons to be cheerful in a melancholy manner' rather than cringeworthy, short-sighted, ephemeral sloganeering.
__________________
What a mess
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17-01-2018, 08:36
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 35
Posts: 14,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
They almost never talk about current politics. Always wait 50 years then go, "well I know what you should've done!"
Ah they're not that far off the pulse! Probably more now than they were, mind... Suppose typically it's been more apparent in interviews but stuff like Ifwhiteamerica, SYMM, Baby Elian, Golden Platitudes, 30 Year War have been quite relevant at the time. Just find it a bit frustrating, Wire's always had this reputation of being outspoken acid tongue bloke, there's probably more to be pissed off about now than there was in 1992. Summat like Grenfell in particular, would've thought that'd be summat that'd peak the band's interest, that they'd have something to say about it. I mean, how political can it get, a load of poor people dying in an inferno overlooked by millionaires, under a council that wouldn't spend money on sprinklers.. it's the 30 Year War in action.

Still, Wire will probably be slagging off Reef soon or some other Shine compilation band that nobody's given a shit about for 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I am expecting the least political album they've done. But then, do people still need songs like that?
After propaganda revealed about frequencies and studio trickery and subconscious triggering is the answer to look for more propaganda?

And by typing that I realise this album could be their most dateless both in time and social activity!

Memberberry Street Preachers!
Could well be. Still, not read many clues on the content matter besides these titles. As a title, Resistance Is Futile.. eh could be surrender or defiance, death or glory. Maybe that's where they feel they are at the moment, who knows. Whichever way, it's a powerful title. Fuck knows what to expect..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17-01-2018, 09:31
Routine Builder's Avatar
Routine Builder Routine Builder is online now
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
They almost never talk about current politics. Always wait 50 years then go, "well I know what you should've done!"
But when Nicky does write about current politics, he's accused of getting it wrong or being too old fashioned (i.e. Don't Be Evil). The Manics just can't win this, you can't make everyone happy.
__________________


Stand back, I have political powers!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17-01-2018, 21:22
Europa Gluten Free's Avatar
Europa Gluten Free Europa Gluten Free is offline
Hold me she said, Love me to Death
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post

Frankly, I'll be pleased if this is an album about 'reasons to be cheerful in a melancholy manner' rather than cringeworthy, short-sighted, ephemeral sloganeering.
I just want a nice collection of nice songs that run well so you don't have to skip any. Not too loud or brash or bright or loads of horns or orchestra. (I'm getting old, aren't I!!!)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17-01-2018, 21:46
Abstract Unknown Girl's Avatar
Abstract Unknown Girl Abstract Unknown Girl is offline
Bored out of my mind
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Beyond the sky, on the other side of the rain
Age: 32
Posts: 40,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
But when Nicky does write about current politics, he's accused of getting it wrong or being too old fashioned (i.e. Don't Be Evil). The Manics just can't win this, you can't make everyone happy.
Yep, this is my feeling too. I can just imagine how 'cringeworthy and embarrassing' some people would find lyrics directly referencing Trump or Brexit. I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't on politics, which is probably why they keep quiet a lot of the time.

Plus, I think of the Manics more as general culture vultures (I tried hard to avoid saying 'culture sluts' there ) than overtly political anyway; they are as much about literature, poetry, art, history, film, travel etc. as their political opinions. I don't think it means they don't care about what's going on in the world right now; perhaps they find it too overwhelming and depressing like I do sometimes and writing songs about other topics is a form of escapism.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-02-2018, 14:43
b_man b_man is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 23
I'm going to guess "Distant Colours" will be the next single. Based on nothing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.