Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-05-2014, 17:55
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavidj View Post
With MP3 download codes. I like having the vinyl singles, but it's difficult for me to play them often.
I would've bought the Show Me The Wonder 7"s if they'd come with download codes.
Old 03-05-2014, 19:18
I live to fall asleep

Do you think we'll get a physical release then or what?
Old 03-05-2014, 19:48
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I haven't got Twitter, but if anyone has, do you think you could message their account with "Er... Can we actually have physical releases of the singles, please?"
Old 03-05-2014, 21:18
Winterlover

so....
1) CDs are dead.
2) CD singles is something that band has no money from, label has no money from, manufacturer has no money from, only shops profit and I don't think Manics singles were sold in shops. I mean real ones, not eshops.

don't get me wrong I used to love CD singles. I have plenty of them. But it's over.
Old 03-05-2014, 21:43
Doors slowly closing

I literally don't understand how they couldn't make a profit on (even a limited, pre-ordered run of) single CDs from a captive market such a manics fans.

I, as an individual, could get the discs pressed and post them myself and still turn a profit at £3 a sale. So why can't Sony? Or why don't they want to?

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 03-05-2014, 21:51
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
so....
1) CDs are dead.
2) CD singles is something that band has no money from, label has no money from, manufacturer has no money from, only shops profit and I don't think Manics singles were sold in shops. I mean real ones, not eshops.

don't get me wrong I used to love CD singles. I have plenty of them. But it's over.
not quite. Coldplay are releasing their new single on CD. But then they're Coldplay and huuuge
Old 03-05-2014, 22:46
Knowlede Is Power

CDs are not dead. I regularly buy CDs. Music shops sell lots of CDs. Albums are released as downloads AND CDs. Lots of other people I know also buy CDs.

Sorry if this seems a little blunt but I just thought I would join in with the folks who seem to like to spout there spurious opinions as facts.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I literally don't understand how they couldn't make a profit on (even a limited, pre-ordered run of) single CDs from a captive market such a manics fans.

I, as an individual, could get the discs pressed and post them myself and still turn a profit at £3 a sale. So why can't Sony? Or why don't they want to?
the difference is that you are the only person, in business the way the money has to go though is long and everyone needs to be paid. and the number of singles Manics sell is quite low

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
not quite. Coldplay are releasing their new single on CD. But then they're Coldplay and huuuge
yes, of course, in large quantities it still works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
CDs are not dead. I regularly buy CDs. Music shops sell lots of CDs. Albums are released as downloads AND CDs. Lots of other people I know also buy CDs.

Sorry if this seems a little blunt but I just thought I would join in with the folks who seem to like to spout there spurious opinions as facts.
I haven't bought any CD for years and am not the only one - I'd say I'm a part of majority at the moment. And I'm not gonna buy any more CDs probably. The CD pressing plants are struggling and the conclusion is that the margins were forced as low as possible. Therefore manufacturers who used to press CDs find some alternative products to sell.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:17
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
I haven't bought any CD for years and am not the only one - I'd say I'm a part of majority at the moment. And I'm not gonna buy any more CDs probably. The CD pressing plants are struggling and the conclusion is that the margins were forced as low as possible. Therefore manufacturers who used to press CDs find some alternative products to sell.
How come I always manage to buy new albums on CD then if the format is supposidly dead? And how do you know if your part of majority? Have you done a survay? If it wasnt cost effective to make CDs anymore then no one would. Therefore there must still be a matket for CDs, so CDs are therefore NOT dead as you claim. The physical format of music will never die out entirly.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
How come I always manage to buy new albums on CD then if the format is supposidly dead? And how do you know if your part of majority? Have you done a survay? If it wasnt cost effective to make CDs anymore then no one would. Therefore there must still be a matket for CDs, so CDs are therefore NOT dead as you claim. The physical format of music will never die out entirly.
Yes, you're probably right - or more precise with your words. CDs are not dead at the moment but their potential is dead.

I've simple asked people around me and only a few of them have bought some CDs in recent years and compared to old times it's nothing.

+ I work in the music industry
Old 04-05-2014, 12:31
Doors slowly closing

At least by not releasing any further CD singles, the National Treasures Complete Singles box remains complete!

Vinyl singles would be fine for collectors if they weren't pressed so badly and the recent artwork wasn't so appalling.
Old 04-05-2014, 14:18
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Yes, you're probably right - or more precise with your words. CDs are not dead at the moment but their potential is dead.

I've simple asked people around me and only a few of them have bought some CDs in recent years and compared to old times it's nothing.

+ I work in the music industry
Fair enough. Good point well made.
Old 04-05-2014, 16:44
Doors slowly closing

I'd be fine with no CD singles if they offered the same audio quality online. It's like we're in this horrible in-betweeny time where quality is worse and the CDs are going away.

Hopefully the rumours of iTunes etc offering higher quality audio downloads soon will turn out be true.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 04-05-2014, 17:19
I live to fall asleep

I still love a cd single.More for the b-sides than anything else. I'll cry if there aren't any but I'll survive.
Old 04-05-2014, 17:35
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I'd be fine with no CD singles if they offered the same audio quality online. It's like we're in this horrible in-betweeny time where quality is worse and the CDs are going away.

Hopefully the rumours of iTunes etc offering higher quality audio downloads soon will turn out be true.
Here there's a site -Qobuz- that offers online singles with the same audio quality than CDs and it sells albums with what they call 'Qobuz Studio Masters' quality.
For now they only offer streaming in the UK, since January, and the website will be redesigned in April 2014 so downloads will be allowed too ( sorry, press release in French ). Also it means that if other online retailers wanted to do so, they could!