Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 19:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftan mews View Post
I feel qualified to answer this now. We've been trying for a number of months to get the band on - I'm sure that's not very surprising!

We know that James is aware of the podcast and had a hand in Dave Eringa's song selections, and we also know that Nicky is a listener. If anybody was going to listen to a podcast about their own band it would be Nicky Wire!

Unfortunately, right now, their collective heads are deep in writing and recording mode and they aren't doing any kind of promotional stuff or interviews. So it looks unlikely to happen soon I'm afraid!

I think if the NHS gigs had gone ahead last week we would've got them.

We're looking at ways to continue the podcast, and that will include covering anything the Manics bring out in the future. We want to cover the whole discography after all! Hopefully we get them next time they are promoting something!

Thanks for all the lovely words, peeps. Really heartwarming and encouraging.

Oh and Mr.Selfdestruct, it will probably trouble you to know that these ARE the edited versions haha!

Adam.x
Nicky and Lucas together on the same podcase would be absolutely hilarious/wonderful

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 12-12-2020, 12:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
I feel qualified to answer this now. We've been trying for a number of months to get the band on - I'm sure that's not very surprising!

We know that James is aware of the podcast and had a hand in Dave Eringa's song selections, and we also know that Nicky is a listener. If anybody was going to listen to a podcast about their own band it would be Nicky Wire!

Unfortunately, right now, their collective heads are deep in writing and recording mode and they aren't doing any kind of promotional stuff or interviews. So it looks unlikely to happen soon I'm afraid!

I think if the NHS gigs had gone ahead last week we would've got them.

We're looking at ways to continue the podcast, and that will include covering anything the Manics bring out in the future. We want to cover the whole discography after all! Hopefully we get them next time they are promoting something!

Adam.x

An episode with Kieran Evans would be brill... his 'Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave' Holy Bible video is just outstanding, alongside all his other visual stuff he's done with them since their collaboration began the past decade. ☺☺
Old 12-12-2020, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle-the-wagons View Post
An episode with Kieran Evans would be brill... his 'Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave' Holy Bible video is just outstanding, alongside all his other visual stuff he's done with them since their collaboration began the past decade. ☺☺
Won't go into too much detail, but I don't think he has any interest in talking to us.
Old 12-12-2020, 19:14
Builder of routine

Quote:
Won't go into too much detail, but I don't think he has any interest in talking to us.
Old 12-12-2020, 20:02
Winterlover

I zoned out quite a bit listening to this when you were going off on tangents that had far less importance to me than they obviously did to you but i feel there was a lot of the context missing here, which is ironic considering that the pod is all about the context. I'd recommend looking through the numerous threads on here about the years it took to make this film but i think elizabeth should weigh in on the difficulty (to put it mildly) they had with sony and the reason it took so long.

I don't think the manics object to the film, i think it's more the fact they didn't like being filmed and talking about their history and richey's legacy or whatever in a form of self-mythologising that they've always been dead against. Thankfully, i don't think the film does anything like that, to me it shows this weird, unique band with a huge cult following made up of equally weird and unique fans (of which i include myself). It's a disjointed film though and i don't honestly think most of the fan interviews and moments work so i would rather see their recording process and practicing together but that was never the point of the film.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 14-12-2020, 02:19

Quote:

Thats a shame , between some of the silly daft fun bits, the episodes where you've had the special guests on have been done in a more than semi serious way and provided a great insight into their own personal dealings with the band and added plenty of lovely anecdotes that pull the whole podcast together.

It will feel like a bit of a gap without him... how about Patrick Jones? He's done a few unofficial videos to songs like 1985, Dylan and Caitlin and some of the documentary video work, inspiration to Everything Must Go from his play and of course the wonderful poems he let James use to create Even In Exile

Maybe if Patrick comes on, it could then tempt Kieran Evans in perhaps. Here's hoping.

Last edited by circle-the-wagons; 14-12-2020 at 02:22.
Old 14-12-2020, 21:01
Winterlover

They may well be a great radio band but they're just not a music video band really, apart from a few sublime and entertainingly bizarre examples the rest are very mediocre. So many vids of them just playing in rooms of various sizes.

Motorcycle emptiness - the guy who gets a james face stroking after he gives him a business card, isn't that mitch ikeda?

Little baby nothing - i think you probably know by now but that isn't traci lords. Shampoo, the band playing in the background, were massive manics fans if i recall.

Design for life - well spotted by steve there, sean absolutely does drop a drum stick. It's worth mentioning that this vid would have been filmed at the roundhouse pre-refurb so it looks somewhat dilapidated and cold.

Everything must go - pretty sure nicky's wife appears in this one.

Tolerate - still love this video, i believe the concept was all to do with them being monitored while forced to play the same song over and over again. The vid responsible for giving many manics fans certain feelings.

Everlasting - there is an atrocious lyric in this song, lucas, but that ain't it. I'd repeat it here but i'm not feeling up to it.

If you want to see some great manics acting then you should check out james' that's no way to tell a lie and an english gentleman.

Ocean spray - given the subject matter of the song then it's not a stretch to interpret this as james taking a break from sitting beside his dying mum in hospital. I seem to remember talk of spiders crawling out of walls or something but were cut from the finished film?

Empty souls - the fourth manic there is martin hall.

Autumnsong - what a truly wretched video, it's like a video made up entirely of stock film footage. The alternative really is only marginally better.

Rewind the film - the three videos, starting with this one, absolutely do have a narrative but this film should be third in the trilogy. To be honest, calling what these films are about a 'narrative' feels reductive and disrespectful but for ease of communication it'll have to suffice. It's filmed mostly in trehafod in the rhondda valley and you get brief shots overlooking treorchy and the rhondda heritage park.

Distant colours - i don't recognise anything that would be aberfan but i can't be 100% sure, the filming seems to mostly take place around nye bevan's place of birth of tredegar and the memorial stones for him and his constituency. Then you've got shots of that amazing statue to llywelyn ap gruffydd fychan up near mid wales, the superb guardian sculpture memorial for the six bells colliery disaster and some tryweryn graffitti so it's all over the place. This trilogy of vids is also great actually, though it's not as narratively satisfying as the rewind the film trilogy.
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 14-12-2020 at 21:47.
Old 21-12-2020, 00:47

Today is the Final Thoughts episode!

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words, encouragement, and for sticking with it. I know it wasn't everyone's ideal MSP podcast when it started, and still may not be, but ultimately I think we've done something interesting and fun, and you've all been a big part of that. It was never our goal to be a purely fan podcast, despite my love of them - as I said at the beginning, they are far too interesting a band to settle for that, I think. I hope you enjoy where we end up!

The podcast will continue on in the new year, albeit in a bit of a different guise - one not suitable for large amounts of chat on this specific forum. However, we will cover everything the Manics put out from this day forward, so stay subscribed for now! I'll also pop my head back in here to let you know when we do Even In Exile, our promised Gig episode, and how we cover album 14. We're still going to cover the band. Alot.

It's been a pleasure! Love x
Old 21-12-2020, 11:58
Builder of routine

"one not suitable for large amounts of chat on this specific forum.."

does ...does...this mean we won't be able to talk about the podcast? All....erm...6 of us ?
Old 21-12-2020, 13:29
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Thanks so much
Right back at you and the big mates

I look forward to hearing what happens next.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 21-12-2020, 17:25
Knowlede Is Power

The big mates have made life worth living on mondays for the last year. Cant wait for your Muse podcast!
Old 22-12-2020, 21:29
Winterlover

That all got a bit emotional towards the end there, didn't it? I know i've had a fair few criticisms over the year (a year? really?!) but i think at times i've just felt a bit protective of the band! To think where steve and lucas started to where they ended up has been a delight to listen to, like you're operating some manics fan conversion therapy and it brings warmth to my cold heart that maybe the holy bible is finally flowering for lucas?

Kept me listening anyway and like i say it's made me more engaged with their music for a long time but it also frustrates me no end how underrated they are and why they don't seem to get credited with being more interesting (musically, lyrically, thematically) than many of their contemporaries. Then again, they really have had their day in the sun and it's easy to forget now how massive they were at their peak though i believe james has said he always expected more and they do absolutely still want to be the biggest band in the world in my opinion.

Looking forward to the christmas eve drop and whatever you're up to next.
Old 24-12-2020, 21:33
Doors slowly closing

There’s only one word for the Christmas episode... brilliat!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 25-12-2020, 22:15
Winterlover

Yes indeed. That was a boat load of fun to listen to, some really sweet gifts as well. Have a look at the twitters for some balaclava and leopard print chic that is quite something to behold - https://twitter.com/manicspodcast/st...27709046222849

Check out lucas with his vault of manics knowledge though, you must feel like a proud manics fan parent seeing him all growed up. I hope he wasn't cheating! I must be slipping myself, it took me at least 20-30 seconds to guess the morning comrades clip.
Old 27-12-2020, 10:11

What can I say? Fantastic work Adam, Lucas and Steve. This podcast has been the soundtrack to my 2020, and what a weird year it’s been. I’ve listened from the very start, so it’s been interesting to see the shows evolve. I remember the early ones being extremely long, but over time it got more tight and dare I say, “professional”! I thought I was a big Manics geek but still there were a few surprises and nuggets I learnt. I am definitely uninformed when it comes to b-sides and listening to the pod has made me want to dig out their entire b-side discography as there were some crackers I’d not heard before (or no longer have - I regrettably threw away loads of my CD singles years ago).

Not surprised to hear to much love for Lifeblood. I got one of my best mates into Manic Street Preachers via Lifeblood and it’s still the only album of theirs he likes, and he’s pretty ‘standard’ in his music tastes. I did crack up listening to the PCFAYM episode, imagining James unbuttoning his shirt while signing Some Kind of Nothingness (weirdly, I went to listen to that album the other day and searched for ‘Postcards from’ on Apple Music, and the top result was ‘Postcards from Heaven’ by the LIGHTHOUSE FAMILY!). I quite like it, now it reminds me of a very specific time in my life (moving out for the first time, being homesick). I was surprised that TIMTTMY wasn’t even more highly regarded, and agree that Futurology is fantastic (except for Divine Youth).

Suggestion: some kind of web page for the podcast? Somewhere to collate the other links (RedBubble, Donations, Contact etc.) and maybe list episodes? I just Googled the name of the pod so I could donate a few quid and got loads of results for the various podcast platforms. One single link would be better. Obviously that’s more time and money, but might be worth doing?

I am keen to see what you do next. Watch through each X-Files episode in order?!
Seriously though, if you could drop in some music recommendations here and there (with Spotify/Apple Music/Listen.to links), as I am always looking to widen my musical horizons and I’m sure others are too. 6 Music is okay but can sometimes feel like it’s trying too hard to be esoteric, and I find many once great online music publications are 99% clickbait awfulness these days. I spent Christmas Eve listening to the extended version of a Spaceman Came Travelling and the Pudding Mix of Last Christmas thanks to you guys.
Perhaps next year you could do track by track run through of the greatest, canonical Christmas compilation, The Christmas Compact Disc (handed down to me by my Dad when I was about 14) - I have made this playlist and still listen each year (obviously omitting the track by you-know-who).

So thanks guys, looking forward to Jan 4th!