Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-12-2010, 17:54
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Sorry or not, that one 'fuck off' has led to some really important discussion and things that needed saying about the reaction to PFAYM and the behaviour of the 'EVERYTHING IS BRILLIANT' brigade.
That one 'fuck off' was like the Rosa Parks of FD.
okaaaaay

Though that just makes me think of The Fast Show

Old 08-12-2010, 18:20
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Sorry or not, that one 'fuck off' has led to some really important discussion and things that needed saying about the reaction to PFAYM and the behaviour of the 'EVERYTHING IS BRILLIANT' brigade.
That one 'fuck off' was like the Rosa Parks of FD.
hahahaha
WE HAVE RIGHTS AS FANS TOO.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:29
Bored of being bored

ultimately, aren't the Manics just a really love-hate kind of band? i can't be the only one who thinks about four albums are genius but that a couple are genuinely close to worthless and only in my collection because of the name on the front. certainly since Everything Must Go, but in a lot of ways from the word go, they've been a famously divisive band. it's understandable that things here can be tense. this board has always been like that.

the thing that gets my goat is that there was this huge, obvious divide over the direction the band took after Richey disappeared 15+ years ago, a shift that any fan posting here now must surely have accepted long ago. and yet some people act like people who are down on Postcards now are so because of a similar shift in style from Journal! i always find that really patronising.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:31
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyroyalty View Post
and yet some people act like people who are down on Postcards now are so because of a similar shift in style from Journal! i always find that really patronising.
"you don't like postcards?! ITS NOT 1994 YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!11"
Really? I thought I was five. hmmm.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:36
Bored out of my mind

The Manics get us discussing and debating so they're obviously still doing something right. Whatever you think of their various albums/eras.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-12-2010, 18:38
Administrator

The irony is, if they want to sell more records, they are probably better off appealing to the people who would still say 'isn't the holy bible brilliant'. There's a lot of I guess alternative music fans who would buy an album like JFPL...if they'd released a few singles off that and had some longer tracks, that could have been a bigger commerical success. I think they need to stop trying to equate truth style blandness (to an extent) with commerical success. To be a big selling band, you don't have to appeal to everyone who watches strictly come dancing, you just need to sell your product to the right audience. You know, radiohead are huge, but they don't make songs that sound like they would be played on an itv advert....
Old 08-12-2010, 18:38
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
The Manics get us discussing and debating so they're obviously still doing something right. Whatever you think of their various albums/eras.
well no, one large side of the debate is that they're not still doing things right at the moment.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:41
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
well no, one large side of the debate is that they're not still doing things right at the moment.
I don't think Gutless meant they are doing everything right at the moment.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:43
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
I don't think Gutless meant they are doing everything right at the moment.
But people discussing a band and saying they dislike themir recent output has nothing to do with the band "still doing things right", It's more the opposite if linked to that statement at all, and was a weird thing to slip in.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:43
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
But people who aren't feeling the current era are still interested enough to want to debate about it. They've got the majority of the music mags praising them so they must be doing something right!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-12-2010, 18:45
Bored out of my mind

Well for me they are still doing things right, obviously for others this isn't the case but it's all down to personal taste/prefernce etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
But people who aren't feeling the current era are still interested enough to want to debate about it. They've got the majority of the music mags praising them so they must be doing something right!
Magazines are nothing to go by, they'll be slagging PFAYM off next year.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:46
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
yes, because people love what the band used to put out and are disappointed in their recent output and what the band is not putting out now, not some blind love of the band. Music press criticisms and praises are irrellevant, and looking at all the bands that currently get wanked over in the NME and such, I wouldn't want to be praised by that.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:46
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
Magazines are nothing to go by, they'll be slagging PFAYM off next year.
Never noticed the rags turning on their opinions. The albums they slagged off still get slagged off!
Old 08-12-2010, 18:47
I live to fall asleep

I agree with what most people say on here - I think the Manics should definitely take a year off, have a rethink and have a break.