Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 15:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

A fucking incredible night with the most beautiful people in the world alongside me.

Really needed it after a friend passed away this weekend. I'm heartbroken. But the Manics are still there, and the family they've brought with them are as well, and that's a huge comfort.

Anyone else think Faster was played a slightly slower tempo? Same with Walk Me To The Bridge. It was to their benefit, they stomped along.

Manchester - 14/10/2010
London - National Treasures - 17/12/2011
Manchester - 01/04/2014
Manchester - The Holy Bible - 10/12/2014
Old 11-12-2014, 15:20
I live to fall asleep

Find it interesting to read they played Dreaming A City, I can't picture them playing an instrumental during the hits section, but I guess it's cool to see something new played! Hope to see some cool videos on Youtube soon, not seen much at all so far at all sadly.
Old 11-12-2014, 15:23
Born to end

what was nicky drinking towards the end of the set. it looked bright blue from where I was standing. powerade or blue WKD!?

Probably powerade eh. is he still teetotal?

25/05/1996 Wolverhampton Civic Hall
12/10/1996 Birmingham Aston Villa Leisure Centre
12/12/1996 Cardiff International Arena
06/04/1997 Birmingham Aston Villa Leisure Centre
23/08/1997 Reading Festival
16/09/1998 Chester Northgate Arena
21/09/1998 Stoke Trentham Gardens
22/08/1999 V99 Festival Staffordshire
31/12/1999 Cardiff Millennium Stadium
25/08/2001 Reading Festival
18/08/2002 V2002 Festival Staffordshire
29/06/2003 Glastonbury Festival
27/09/2013 Manchester Ritz
10/12/2014 Manchester Albert Hall
11/12/2014 Manchester Albert Hall

Last edited by reginaldgaye; 11-12-2014 at 15:35. Reason: whoops
Old 11-12-2014, 15:25
Born to end

Does anything think it would be better if the sets where the other way round?
Old 11-12-2014, 15:50
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
on paper, yes. Seeing some of the 'hits' on the setlist after THB in its entirety is surreal, even with a break in the middle.

Performing both The Intense Humming of Evil and You Stole The Sun in the same night is just fucking odd!
Old 11-12-2014, 16:27
Builder of routine

That was brilliant. It was so cathartic yelling the lyrics to faster with a thousand+ other people. The whole THB set sounded so powerful and you could tell they were giving it a million percent. Sean's drumming was superb. I saw James spray something into his mouth. Dunno if that was for the dodgy tooth or throat. I've had bad toothache in the past where i can barely open my mouth so i'm not surprised he doesn't want to add to the pain by stopping to chat to people after.

Had a bit of an OCD twitch through the first set cos James had the flap of his sailor shirt scrunched under the guitar strap and i really wanted to fix it for him! I could stand at the side every time he changes guitar…won't take a sec

The second set was a surprise.. I steered clear of the setlist for Glasgow. Wasn't expecting dreaming a city or 1985 at all so that was very cool. James threw his tie out at the crowd at the end.. did it survive?

I liked the venue.. stained glass windows with crosses i think which added to the atmosphere.. confusing when we got in as to where the main hall was.. we ended up in the bar/cloakroom by mistake lol. They were handing out whole bottles of water which i was very grateful for but getting out after was a nightmare. I hope anyone getting a last train got there. Security were only letting people out down the stairs a few at a time.

On the way up to manchester i was playing Temples and Vampire weekend. On the way back home it was THB and Futurology. Loud.

Have fun those going tonight. Hope the queuing weather was better today.. I was going to hang around for a while but it was so cold and wet i wanted to go back indoors

Last edited by hummingbird; 11-12-2014 at 16:54.
Old 11-12-2014, 16:31
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Absolutely. Such an anticlimax hearing Your Love Alone after THB.. I know they always end on Design For Life but can you imagine ending on PCP then fucking off from there? Would be heaven. Nice crowd reaction to You Love Us though, would be ace if they kept the tempo up throghout the second set.
Old 11-12-2014, 17:47
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
And one other thing I enjoyed about last night, was as I was making my way to the bar after the first set. Everyone's voice was distorted so they sounded like Jawa's!
It was incredible!
Old 11-12-2014, 20:28
Builder of routine

Was it the vocal mix of Faster they played just before they came on? Sounded great
Old 11-12-2014, 21:51
Bored of being bored

Quote:

The Jesus and Mary Chain are doing that with their "Psychocandy" gigs - it works quite well. Jim Reid referred to it as them "doing the encore first"

Got home not too long ago, incredible night, and only at a Manics gig can one witness the fans doing costume changes between sets...
Old 12-12-2014, 09:36
Winterlover

Friend of mine had a spare and for some reason everyone he tried to contact online bailed, so he tried to sell it to a tout. The tout tried to give us a sob story saying they'd made no sales all night and they were losing out. Diddums.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:45
Winterlover

Don't know what to say about this one really. After the venue screwed up on accessibility for me, I risked it and queued for an hour, got a good spot second row, but by the time we got in I already felt weak and like I didn't want to be there (?! there was the very definition of where I should have wanted to be) and a crash was coming on. Convinced myself it'd be okay once the band were on, got through the Bible set and enjoyed it as much as I could under the circumstances. Which didn't feel at all good enough for your favourite band playing your favourite album in full in such obvious fucking amazing style. I knew they would, but to witness the realisation of them pulling this off was... wordless.

Highlights for me were 'Revol' - which was the one everyone seemed to go most completely nuts for, I think band and fanbase have really warmed to that one since they started playing it live this time around, and it's become quite the little beast in the process - and 'Mausoleum'. The energy did not let up for the whole set except where obviously appropriate, which was brilliant. A good crowd can make the gig, and I'd have expected no less for this.

I probably should have left after the Bible set, but wtf-ed at the very thought and also didn't want to put other people out. Ended up leaving after 'Divine Youth' anyway - which I'm glad I stayed to see, incidentally. Was not in a good way afterwards (am still not, blrgh) and had to drop out of the second night. Thanks to everyone who tried to help or was concerned, meant a lot

Can definitely understand those saying that perhaps this tour should have just been the Bible without the second set. It's all too much. Even without the ills, the emotional drain of it is incredible, and while I had given some thought to that aspect, I can't believe how far from enough it was. It was a true experience and one I will be forever glad of, but my God was it gruelling as well. I don't know how the band are doing it.

A couple of stray thoughts - '1985' sounded massive and didn't get the response it deserved, I've never seen YLAINE fall so flat in all the times I've seen it, and I've also never seen so many people dressed up at one gig before - and to such a calibre

TL;DR a) ermahgerd Herler Berbul b) chronic fatigue syndrome is the total worst

Last edited by sofarsideways; 12-12-2014 at 10:07.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:52
Doors slowly closing

^ I hope you're feeling better xx Wolves soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaldgaye View Post
what was nicky drinking towards the end of the set. it looked bright blue from where I was standing. powerade or blue WKD!?

Probably powerade eh. is he still teetotal?
It was bright red last night so either Powerade, Panda Pop or the good 'ol WKD
Old 12-12-2014, 18:06
Builder of routine

I thought I'd taken some great pictures of the band in full flight.
Turns out I'd just taken pictures of the back of people's heads!
Old 12-12-2014, 19:27
Builder of routine

"Of walking Abortion"

The horror of... MY PHOTOS!!