Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-09-2014, 19:10
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
2000 all on msppedia
silly moi. Should've remembered mspedia ! thanks
Old 26-09-2014, 19:26
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_capo View Post
They have done all the songs live I think. I remember ifwhiteamerica... being in the set in 94. Maybe they've forgot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
ifwhiteamerica has been played. I saw them do it at Cambridge PPF tour.
Here's a funny story about that: The first formal interview I did for No Manifesto was with Nicky. It was in 2005 on the day of the first gig of the Past Present Future tour. During this interview, Nicky remarked on the Holy Bible-heavy setlist, and said something about how IfWhiteAmerica had never been played live before. Coincidentally, not long before, I had heard the 1994 Astoria recording that, of course, has a performance of IfWhiteAmerica on it. So I said something that came out all wrong about how it must be strange when fans remember things about your band that you don't remember yourself.

Oh boy, he did NOT like that! The temperature in the room dropped by ten degrees (even though we were outside on a balcony ) as he drew himself up and said "No one knows more about the Manics's history than I do!" I fell all over myself trying to explain that I hadn't meant it in a critical way, only that when you've played so many gigs over so many years it must be hard to keep track and blah blah, and somehow we smoothed that moment over and carried on with the interview.

I guess it stayed on Nicky's mind, though, because at the gig that night, he asked the audience whether IfWhiteAmerica had ever been played live before. I don't know exactly what he thought of the fact that many of the faithful enthusiastically informed him that yes, it had (I certainly wasn't about to ask him, I had a film to make! ), but later when I was working with the footage from the dressing room after that show, I kind of got an idea of it. Although he was not in shot or on mic, the room mic had picked him in the background laughing and bitching good-humoredly about having been wrong. I've always loved that Nicky doesn't take himself too seriously

By the way, IfWhiteAmerica was played at every gig on the Past Present Future tour.
Old 26-09-2014, 19:55
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Here's a funny story about that: The first formal interview I did for No Manifesto was with Nicky. It was in 2005 on the day of the first gig of the Past Present Future tour. During this interview, Nicky remarked on the Holy Bible-heavy setlist, and said something about how IfWhiteAmerica had never been played live before. Coincidentally, not long before, I had heard the 1994 Astoria recording that, of course, has a performance of IfWhiteAmerica on it. So I said something that came out all wrong about how it must be strange when fans remember things about your band that you don't remember yourself.

Oh boy, he did NOT like that! The temperature in the room dropped by ten degrees (even though we were outside on a balcony ) as he drew himself up and said "No one knows more about the Manics's history than I do!" I fell all over myself trying to explain that I hadn't meant it in a critical way, only that when you've played so many gigs over so many years it must be hard to keep track and blah blah, and somehow we smoothed that moment over and carried on with the interview.

I guess it stayed on Nicky's mind, though, because at the gig that night, he asked the audience whether IfWhiteAmerica had ever been played live before. I don't know exactly what he thought of the fact that many of the faithful enthusiastically informed him that yes, it had (I certainly wasn't about to ask him, I had a film to make! ), but later when I was working with the footage from the dressing room after that show, I kind of got an idea of it. Although he was not in shot or on mic, the room mic had picked him in the background laughing and bitching good-humoredly about having been wrong. I've always loved that Nicky doesn't take himself too seriously

By the way, IfWhiteAmerica was played at every gig on the Past Present Future tour.
ADORBZ
Old 26-09-2014, 20:53
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Thought I'd give the ticket sites another check, see if the odd one or two popped up. Then this happened.

I've been getting "MARKET FORCES" all day, which I feel sure is meant to be some kind of weak-assed defence of the touting situation
Old 26-09-2014, 20:57
Builder of routine

haha I was asked to type Rock on then told me they had no tickets but i could expand my search on Get Me In.. FUCK OFF TICKETBASTARDMASTER!

*and breathe*
Old 26-09-2014, 21:05
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Thought I'd give the ticket sites another check, see if the odd one or two popped up. Then this happened.

BEST
Old 26-09-2014, 21:50
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
There are things that can be done if there is a will too by all concerned.

I've bought tickets for Hamlet at the Barbican next year, they will have my name on them and I have to provide photo ID and apparently carry it with me at all times (even I suppose when going to the toilet in the interval). My friend will only be admitted if she is with me (hopefully this excludes the toilets!), so she better hope I don't get hit by a bus in the meantime.

A system like this would probably add a couple of extra pounds to each ticket, but it would be worth paying if it avoids fans being at the mercy of the scummy touts.
Yep, photo ID/cardholder needing to be present are better ways of controlling things, providing a legitimate returns process is set up for those who later find they can't go. But the fact returns are commonplace in theatre just shows there is more that could be done in the live music industry. I've used returns queues for theatre before and it's worked fairly and you don't end up paying over face value.

I've been to paperless ticket gigs before and although a bit faffier and it taking longer to get everyone in the venue, it worked. The Killers did that for a small academy warm-up show in 2012 and the gig seemed to largely be full of big fans and only one lone tout stood outside, who clearly hadn't got the memo about it being a ticketless event The warm-up show they did a couple of months back required photo ID as well (although I'm not sure just how strictly the door staff were checking, but I suspect it would have put some re-sellers off).

The trouble is, it's all become one big inside job now. Ticketmaster have basically just created a "premium" ticket market with the likes of Viagogo etc. What chance does anyone have of thwarting it significantly without legislative intervention when it's the ticket agencies causing the inflated market to exist in the first place? But I don't expect this government to do anything about it.
Old 26-09-2014, 22:15
A self-made vacuum

Comedian Louis CK tried going against touts two years ago. He sold the tickets only through his own website and then had a system of canceling any resold for more then their worth. He never stated how it work but it seemed to mostly work.

http://www.laughspin.com/2012/07/03/...isk-exclusive/
Old 27-09-2014, 07:38
An imitation of dignity

Annoyed at not getting tickets, and even more annoyed that they're already on the usual sites for 3x the face value, so posting on forum.

Hope they do a DVD of one of the shows.
Old 27-09-2014, 08:28
Born to end

Wink Touts

At the last Manchester show earlier this year, my friend couldn't come at the very last minute due to illness so i had a ticket to sell. A tout outside the venue offered me £5 and would not budge.
Old 27-09-2014, 08:39
I live to fall asleep

Woke up even more excited about this today.

My favourite band playing my favourite album in the city that I went to my first Manics' gig.
Old 27-09-2014, 10:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincsManic View Post
At the last Manchester show earlier this year, my friend couldn't come at the very last minute due to illness so i had a ticket to sell. A tout outside the venue offered me £5 and would not budge.
oh that's lovely. One was selling them for £500 a ticket

I'll probably end up with a touts ticket off getmein or viagogo. Paying double face value is bad enough but i could be paying an extra tenner to courier me an e-ticket that the seller could send me for free via e-mail ! You're not told what they're selling either so you can't avoid those. If i'm forced to pay the courier fee then i'd rather have a proper ticket

Last edited by hummingbird; 27-09-2014 at 10:26.
Old 27-09-2014, 12:16
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
I've been getting "MARKET FORCES" all day, which I feel sure is meant to be some kind of weak-assed defence of the touting situation
On Ticketmaster yesterday I got "Heard it through the grapevine" which not only seems to be a good association with the touts, but was also annoyingly bloody long to type in.
Old 27-09-2014, 12:24
Freed from the century

I'm gutted. I can't make any of the dates. I'm hoping they may add some weekend dates in the south.
Old 27-09-2014, 17:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

Managed to get tickets for both Manchester nights.

Quite happy about this.