Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-11-2010, 03:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

Qn: Robbie WIlliams & Slane 1998

Reading another forum and was surprised to see this presented as fact:

Quote:
I saw him live at Slane Castle in 98 when he supported the Manics and he stole the show to such an extent, most of the crowd were so tired when the Manics came on the general feeling was their gig was piss poor when compared to this pop star from a boyband. In fact even the Manics had it written into their contracts from then on in that they would never go on stage after Robbie Williams ever again.
Had never heard about this before and strongly doubt it to be the case... but granted I've not been around here for that long. Anyone able to elaborate on if this is true even a little bit??
Old 05-11-2010, 04:07
Stretched out in the sun

It's a personal opinion, nothing more. The most you could do is point this out to the original poster; an opinion does not equal fact.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:09
Winterlover

I could be wrong, but isn't that live bit at the beginning of the Up Close doc the Manics playing Slane Castle in '98? If it is then I'd have to strongly disagree that the crowd weren't all that enthusiastic because they certainly seemed like they were.

Sounds to me like a typical fan slagging off another band/musician in order to make their musical idol rise above the rest (not unlike what many here do when the Manics are compared to other bands). That last sentence in particular is utter crap! Hugely exaggerated nonsense!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53

Well he's actually a bit of a Manics fan, probably moreso than a Robbie WIlliams fan actually... no worries about it being an opinion, but it was the 'written into their contract' bit I struggled to believe. That sounds ridiculous...

Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 05:15
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't that live bit at the beginning of the Up Close doc the Manics playing Slane Castle in '98? If it is then I'd have to strongly disagree that the crowd weren't all that enthusiastic because they certainly seemed like they were.
Yep. This was also the day they found out Tolerate hit number 1.

It wouldn't surprise me really if loads of the crowd preferred Robbie to Manics. It shouldn't surprise anyone really!

Gosh, it's hard to think back to the those days when the Manics occupied that same sphere with such names as Macy Gray and Robbie Williams. Seriously popular mega mainstream stuff like...

really hard to get yr head around...
Old 05-11-2010, 07:08
Bored out of my mind

They might not have the same success these days but they're still here and that's whats important!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:30

I was there and don't remember that, though I wasn't paying much attention to Robbie Williams. It was a great day and a great performance, everyone seemed to enjoy it.

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Nietzsche
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
In fact even the Manics had it written into their contracts from then on in that they would never go on stage after Robbie Williams ever again.
Yeah cause they're SO in the same circles as Robbie Williams always selling out Knebworth are the Manics
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehammer View Post
Well he's actually a bit of a Manics fan, probably moreso than a Robbie WIlliams fan actually... no worries about it being an opinion, but it was the 'written into their contract' bit I struggled to believe. That sounds ridiculous...

Thanks
yeah, exactly which contract is it? i mean, surely they would have a say in who their support bands are anyway? that comment really does sound like fanboy wank.

every now and then the support act is more memorable/enjoyable than the main act (and anyone who has endured Lenny Kravitz on a "jazz night" might back me up, The Cult were the support and waaaay better). without seeing or hearing either, going on setlists i would imagine that Robbie's was the more "energetic" set and he would have the audience at it - probably exhausted by the time the Manics came on stage more than they were bored with them?
blog
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44
Bored of being bored

Would they have given a fuck if it was the same day as Tolerate going to #1?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:54
Footprint of history

Quote:
In fact even the Manics had it written into their contracts from then on in that they would never go on stage after Robbie Williams ever again.
Bollocks.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:49

Also, this was a Saturday gig, so the Manics may have knew they were No. 1 but no else did until the following day.

I think I'm also slightly biased as I have never liked Robbie Williams *shrugs* so don't really remember that much of his act.

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Nietzsche
Old 05-11-2010, 18:46
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehammer View Post
Reading another forum and was surprised to see this presented as fact:

Had never heard about this before and strongly doubt it to be the case... but granted I've not been around here for that long. Anyone able to elaborate on if this is true even a little bit??
Pedantic me popping up here, wasn't Slane Castle '98 headlined by The Verve, thus he wasn't supporting the Manics, but both were support for a McCabe-less (and therefore utterly crippled) Verve?

I also think that contract stuff is bullshit, I'd sooner shit through my eyes than watch Robbie Williams anyway.
Old 05-11-2010, 18:53
Freed from the century

Kings of Leon sold out Slane Castle today.
Old 05-11-2010, 19:03
Doors slowly closing

With concerns to Robbie getting a better reaction than the manics at Slane, i am not too surprised. I think he regards that gig as one of his best. People i know who went, didn't shut up about it for weeks. Before that gig, he was just the poof from take that.

I'm not sure what set the manics played that day, but the set the played in Cork, the day before or after, must have been the worst i have ever seen them play. I wasn't at it, I'm just going on the wiki site.

Slane, generally gets a more daytime radio loving crowd. They could stick Michael Buble on between KOL and The Manics and the crowd would go nuts for him.