Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 20:57
Under neon loneliness

Hmmm...
Old 12-10-2009, 21:00
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Hmmm...
You is thinking maybe not then Stuart?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-10-2009, 21:04
Under neon loneliness

Let's just say I'm yet to be convinced.
Old 12-10-2009, 21:06
Bored out of my mind

If I was a rock star I'd rather be like the Manics than Pete Doherty, put it that way!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-10-2009, 22:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think this tour has certainly spurred some increased interest in the band. The few examples I can give are: my GF (who I'm afraid to say moaned when I'd play them in the car .. to the tune of "do we have to listen to the Manics again) - who is now a total convert and has been watching the DVDs and asking me to play various songs (she in fact loaded her ipod up with all the albums this weekend). Also I dragged two close friends to the Seattle and Vancouver shows, and while theyre not running out buying all the back catalogue, they did pick up 'JFPL' at the shows and want 'Forever Delayed' ... I also dragged a good friend to the Boston show .. he's light up like a bloody christmas tree still ... wants more Manics live .. best live show he's seen.

.. so thats 4 additional people that want in on the next tour.

I think the next tour they do over here will potentially factor in the geography of the US, and perhaps orchestrate less/easier travelling. Nicky said in an interview (and also heard him say) the only pain in the ass has been "having to sleep on the bus at times". I dont think they mind travelling now(??), they're just at a point in their careers where the travelling round in the back of the "van" is old hat, and they want some of their creature comforts. So with a geographic attempt to factor in not sleeping on the bus so much (and Nicky getting extra space to "ice his knees") .. I dont think they have the same disdain with roaming around anymore.

EDIT: Check out the link in the 'Nicky Interview' thread (from Webster Hall). Some interesting thoughts/statements straight from the horses mouth as it were
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18

Last edited by ooberfan; 12-10-2009 at 22:51.
Old 12-10-2009, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irradiata View Post
Thanks for bringing up the venue size. How large were the venues on the JFPL tour in the UK? And, was that a typical size for the Manics, or were they playing smaller venues because they didn't release any singles?
After a quick google search, I'll answer myself: The Camden Roundhouse seats 1800 and stands 3000.

The Manics played it three nights in a row.
Old 13-10-2009, 02:55
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irradiata View Post
After a quick google search, I'll answer myself: The Camden Roundhouse seats 1800 and stands 3000.

The Manics played it three nights in a row.
HAHA! Sometimes it's best to cut out the middle-man and just source something yourself...less hassles that way!

Thanks for the info! And yes, there's absolutely no way they could ever sell out a theatre that size on this continent even for one show let alone three. That would be the equivalent of a Massey Hall here or a Sony Centre. I'd like to see that happen, but unless they focus a bit more energy on promoting the band in the US and Canada, it's not likely to ever occur.
I'm still not convinced they'll be back in the promised 1 1/2 - 2 years. I'd like to believe it, but I'm not sure they'll be able to keep that promise. Meh, I'm a born sceptic anyway. I'll only believe it's happening when I actually see concrete plans. I wasn't convinced of their recent trek over here until I actually saw the confirmation on the official site. As a rule, I generally trust no one!

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 13-10-2009 at 03:03.
Old 13-10-2009, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Meh, I'm a born sceptic anyway. I'll only believe it's happening when I actually see concrete plans. I wasn't convinced of their recent trek over here until I actually saw the confirmation on the official site. As a rule, I generally trust no one!
Hahaha I hear you there Sir ... with you a 100% .. "a pessimist is never disappointed" right ?!?! ... I will secretly hope the 2 year promise is bonafide though
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18
Old 13-10-2009, 05:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooberfan View Post
Hahaha I hear you there Sir ... with you a 100% .. "a pessimist is never disappointed" right ?!?! ... I will secretly hope the 2 year promise is bonafide though
Oooh, did I just get called a "sir"? My masculine side thanks you, but my feminine side (which represents the dominant part of me) is like, WTF?!?! HAHAHA! That's awesome!

Yeah, after waiting ten years to see them again on this side of the world, one can hardly blame us for being just a little bit sceptical of their plans to return. Hey, I absolutely hope they do, but I'm not banking on it.
Old 13-10-2009, 18:10

Quote:
Oooh, did I just get called a "sir"? My masculine side thanks you, but my feminine side (which represents the dominant part of me) is like, WTF?!?! HAHAHA! That's awesome!
Ooops .. I may have embarrassed myself here. I generally call everyone Sir ... old habits die hard. Please tell your masculine side he's welcome, and please tell your feminine side I consider her no less noble and sorry .... hahahaha. Awesome
Old 13-10-2009, 18:29
Bored out of my mind

I hope they do anyway and don't forget South America next time lads!
Old 13-10-2009, 19:52
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooberfan View Post
Ooops .. I may have embarrassed myself here. I generally call everyone Sir ... old habits die hard. Please tell your masculine side he's welcome, and please tell your feminine side I consider her no less noble and sorry .... hahahaha. Awesome
HAHA!!! No worries at all! I think I get some kind of perverse enjoymen. Out of being thought male on a forum. Almost wished I hadn't said anything and just continued on being addressed as "sir".
Old 13-10-2009, 19:54
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I think I get some kind of perverse enjoymen.
Freudian slip, Sir?
Old 13-10-2009, 20:01
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Freudian slip, Sir?
Nope, just poor iPhone keyboard skills. LOL!
Or maybe not...
Old 13-10-2009, 20:37
Doors slowly closing

I feel for the American fans. A ten year wait must have been hell. Out of pure luck I managed to see them, for the first time in San Francisco in 99. I was lucky I got in as I was underage. I've seen them 8 times and that is still the most special. I always thought they would pack it in after Know Your Enemy as they were hinting that they might at the time. So we should all be glad we still get to see them.

They seem pretty content now. SATT was the turning point I guess. They have seemed very comfortable in their own skin since the release of that album. I can see them making a good few more albums. I never thought I would be saying that in 2009 say back in 2001. They will always play loads of festivals as they bring in big bucks. . So I would think they will return to America at some point. They should try and get a few festival gigs over there maybe. Combine it with a tour