Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 18:15
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
The Manics for the latter 'their'. Confusing grammar, but then again I am ill at the moment (excuses excuses).

The track-by-tracks are the same I'd assume, but the five vids posted above do not have all of the songs that aren't on your exclusions list (all the KYE to LB stuff, mainly). Would be interested to know what they have to say about them*.

*even though it's pretty easy to guess what they're saying about them anyway
oh yeah, you're right.

Highlights:

So Why So Sad:
-video cost a lot, and Found That Soul's was a lot cheaper and better.
-Sean liked the use of the stylophone
-James 'accepts blame' for song

Ocean Spray:
-Lovely Song
-Like the video

The Love Of Richard Nixon:
-Sean still likes it for its 'insanity'.
-They like the lyric

Empty Souls:
-Nicky was uncommunicative on Japanese tour, uncomfortable with commercial failure.
-Brief usual 'ashamed of Lifeblood' schtick from Sean and Nicky.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 02-11-2011, 18:33
Winterlover

Thank you very much, kind sir
Old 02-11-2011, 19:19
Winterlover

Haha, nice work Starstruck!
Old 02-11-2011, 21:08
Doors slowly closing

JDB : so you know, we took a bit of a breather, like. you get to think about things. for me, it was "this Cornish reminds me of watching the miners strike" or i'd be sat eating a spinach and cheese one, and then bam! The Queen Is Dead comes up on my 8 track. a lot of that energy went into the song, which was great, great single material.
SM : fuck me with a big rubber cock if this wasn't going to be excellent. once the song was down, you just new it had "hit single" written all over the fucker. James' guitar was played like he was channeling Hendrix playing Voodoo Chile to the universe, bringing universal love. i even bothered to use both drumsticks, it was that good. fuck it, even lanky pretty boy actually managed to keep his bass in tune and more or less had the timing right. that phrase about something fucking your eyeballs? i coined that when we were planning the video. it was going to be excellent, mate. i had a Young, Free & Single t-shirt on, just like the ones Oooooo Gary Davies used to give out. James was going to wear a Frankie Say Feed The Singer A Pie shirt, and the other one was going to have a Live Aid t-shirt on. we were in that good a mood about it that we were even going to let cunt features fiddle with the shirt, putting in some hidden message about Geldof and tax or something in the Live Aid logo. the whole video was going to be a recreation of a Radio One Roadshow - yeah, i know, WOW. Dave Lee Travis was going to be the one introducing us. The big three Js from the 80s were in on it too - Julien Temple was going to direct the video, Jellybean was going to remix and Just the one that stood there looking bored out of the Pet Shop Boys was going to add some samples or something. a right big bastard "smell my balls" comeback single of note this was going to be. then, of course, someone - and i am not going to name the tall glittery cunt - has his say. see if you can guess who this is "whine, whine, whine, i have a politics degree, whine, whine, whine, irony, whine, whine, i have already bought the masks, whine, whine, whine, whine, important that the world knows he wasn't all that bad, whine, whine, whine fucking whine". next thing i know and that song about Jimmy Carter is our first single off the new album. what the fuck, man.
NW : it was Richar...
SM : fuck off and speak when you are spoken to, or when the song is about fucking glitter. as far as i am aware that's not even me in the fucking video, man. it's probably Dave Lee Travis in my mask, since we'd hired him in good faith anyway. or maybe it was him out of the Pet Shop Boys. can't be arsed to look at the video, does he move around in it at all? yes, speak
NW : no
SM : there you go, likely him then.
JDB : pies were nowhere near as exotic in range and crust types back then anyway.
SM : "Nicky Wire gets to choose the singles so fuck off anyone in particular drummers" is what it says on the contract that i apparently signed. although the fact that this particular clause appears to have been written in with some sort of glitter pen suggests it might have been added in later, i suppose. not that whoever would do such a thing would ever, ever contradict themselves or anything like that. oh no, not a fuck would he.
NW : we've still got the drum machine in the cupboard you know
SM : really? i've still got this killer stare and a fucking massive fist. want to see whose works best, do we, Jones?
JDB : Greggs back then just didn't have the massive range they do now. in 1985 it was all cream treats eclairs, things like that. not bad, but not pie.
blog
Old 02-11-2011, 21:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

Also a good idea for a thread:

Postcards From A Young Man
NW : James actually had me rewrite this, it was actually originally about the messages The Horrors had been sending me asking me to stop breathing heavily down the phone at them.
JDB : But that didn't say mass communication, not everyone has the experience of breathing down the phone at Rhys Web.
NW : And not all of them were told to stop. Or sent restraining order postcards, which was a nice touch. There was a picture of Ronald Reagan looking sad on it. Still allowed to say I want to sleep with the band collectively in interviews though. They're allowing that.
JDB : Why not? Nice lads with a good taste in music, clothes and pastries. We have a few disagreements, of course, they're more into pasties. Not quite convinced but it takes all sorts.
SM : I am so tired of this now that it's not even funny.
NW : Why don't you just leave then?
SM : James promised me if I stayed all the way through the interview I could put your scarf down my pants.
JDB : Gone off scarves like Nicky's since I saw Brian Eno wearing one. It's outside our frame of reference, so it's wrong.
NW : That's just childish. If you do I'm going to put your drumsticks on a shelf where you can't get them.
Old 02-11-2011, 21:41
Doors slowly closing

Autumnsong

JDB: brilliant bit of 'Friday afternoon work', this. I played Sweet Child O Mine at the start as a bit of a tribute to Jimmy Page. Then, we'd already got one verse down with a chorus. Nicky couldn't be arsed to write any more, so one of the engineers copied the first verse in Adobe Audition and pasted it on. We just swapped the lines about so it looked like it had changed. It hadn't! Before long it was 4PM and last one in the Dog and Duck's a poofter!
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05
Desire on its knees

Tsunami

NW: At this point a great deal of my inspiration was coming from...
JDB: Stuff you saw on the telly the other night.
NW: History, injustice, things I studied for my politics degree...
SM: (sings quietly to self) In-between, in-between, in-between...
JDB: That's a fucking lie, though, isn't it?
NW: What is?
JDB: It was just stuff you saw on telly! Look at the songs we left off the album: 'Last Night's Question Time'...
NW: Political. Bands don't write enough about political subjects any more.
JDB: 'Shooting Stars Is Really Going Downhill', 'I Can't Get Into Ally McBeal', 'Whatever Happened To Fingermouse'?
NW: That last one was great. It was like something the Clash would do.
JDB: I wouldn't let him record it. I blocked the door of the fucking studios. That's why I put a bit of weight on back then - made it so much easier.
NW: It went on my solo album in the end.
SM: Did you do a solo album too?

Facebook Twitter
Old 03-11-2011, 20:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

http://www.manicstreetpreachers.com/...al-treasures/#

has some other track by track videos including, faster & so why so sad