Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 19:31
I am purity, they call me perverted

i think colin newman sounds prickly. i suppose i can hear wire in some of the arrangements on JFPL but nothing else really.

but having said that "chairs missing" and "pink flag" are awesome albums. i wouldnt buy anything else from them.
Old 02-12-2009, 20:38
Bored out of my mind

Never heard anything by Wire as far as I'm aware. Just sounds like typical sniping to me.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-12-2009, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesean4ever View Post
Annoying thing is I saw them and didn't change them, my grammar suffers when I get irrate.

'I've kissed mermaids and rode the El Nino'

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 02-12-2009, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Wow, that's a little extreme! So, you're contemplating not listening to a band you obviously dig simply because they don't dig the Manics? I don't get that! Who cares if they don't like the Manics? Why does that make their music less appealing to you? It's only a personal opinion.

I remember when Nicky said some very disparaging things about the bands I dug namely REM and in particular, Michael Stipe. Didn't put me off the Manics in the slightest or Nicky (thought he was a dick for saying it, but I still loved his band). It's only a personal opinion.

As for the band Wire, I've never enjoyed their music personally, but I do think they had every right to go after Elastica. Some of their tunes on their debut album were directly ripped from a few Wire songs.
That's the kinda irrational and impulsive guy I am....to hell with Wire I'm going to piss on Pink Flag and Chairs Missing right now..

It's weird no matter how much I dont like the Manics' material and performances post EMG (with exception to JFPL which is the best album of the decade for me) I get a very visceral reaction towards people slagging them off because they meant alot to me from an early age, I cant seem to overwrite my annoyance. I dont mind if it's an informed opinion made when armed with evidence but they are mainly ignorant arseholes who think they know what they are talking about but dont know anything about the band before they hit the charts. I have been in some pretty brutal musical arguements in the past......I'm abnormal.

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 02-12-2009, 21:09
Bored out of my mind

Material AND performances post EMG???

(I get similarly worked up about any Manics slagging, don't worry! )
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-12-2009, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Material AND performances post EMG???

(I get similarly worked up about any Manics slagging, don't worry! )
Hahaha I'm not slagging them off, I'm just not massively won over by their sound and their intentions on the post 1996 records, and I just feel most of there gigs (with exception to Cardiff 1999) are missing the power and spite they had before and thats what I love to see in a performance. Still love them for them though and I absolutely love JFPL like I said.

Old 02-12-2009, 21:41
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicbabyshambles123 View Post
Hahaha I'm not slagging them off, I'm just not massively won over by their sound and their intentions on the post 1996 records, and I just feel most of there gigs (with exception to Cardiff 1999) are missing the power and spite they had before and thats what I love to see in a performance. Still love them for them though and I absolutely love JFPL like I said.
He! He! No, that's cool. Yeah, some people miss the spite of their early days I suppose. I love all their eras but I know not everyone does. Fair enough!
Old 02-12-2009, 21:57
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesean4ever View Post
Shaky ground, dear.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04
Footprint of history

Wire are a contrary band, Newman's comments don't surprise me at all, haha.
Old 03-12-2009, 21:13

Accusing Colin Newman of disliking the Manics due to jealousy is as stupid as a very stupid person reckoning a dislike of say, Jamie Oliver stems from a similar emotion. It's just a dreadful defence.

It's sour grapes from Nicky, basically. 'Kidney Bingos' is undeniably a great later-period Wire song.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
Accusing Colin Newman of disliking the Manics due to jealousy is as stupid as a very stupid person reckoning a dislike of say, Jamie Oliver stems from a similar emotion. It's just a dreadful defence.

It's sour grapes from Nicky, basically. 'Kidney Bingos' is undeniably a great later-period Wire song.
I actually like Jamie Oliver as he released a compliation album that my dad brought which had Motorcycle emptiness on it which inturn got me into the manics.

Kidney Bingos = shit

If Wire had made anything as good as JFPL 20 odd years after their inception then I wouldnt accuse Newman of being jealous but as it stands I think it may well be the case.

Old 09-12-2009, 14:03

YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 20:15

What a bizarre thread.
Old 10-12-2014, 20:28
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i think colin newman sounds prickly. i suppose i can hear wire in some of the arrangements on JFPL but nothing else really.

but having said that "chairs missing" and "pink flag" are awesome albums. i wouldnt buy anything else from them.
Not 154? Seriously?

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 10-12-2014, 22:52

It's pretty hilarious throwing out one's Wire collection as some statement of integrity when you got into the Manics via Jamie Oliver's 'Cookin' CD