Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-07-2013, 18:09
Under neon loneliness

The Three-Album Cycle

I was listening to them for the first time in a while today and it occurred to me they're following a three-album rotation of album styles.

1 Generation Terrorists - Starting/default point.
2 Gold Against The Soul - Commercial "arena anthem" record.
3 The Holy Bible - Angular, darker, heavier record.
4 Everything Must Go - Softer, poppier sound than what had come before, going after the mainstream.
5 This Is My Truth - Commercial "arena anthem" record.
6 Know Your Enemy - More angular, somewhat darker and certainly heavier record (OK, so this one's a less easy fit).
7 Lifeblood - Softer, poppier sound than what had come before.
8 Send Away The Tigers - Commercial "arena anthem" record.
9 Journal For Plague Lovers - Angular, darker, heavier record.
10 Postcards from a Young Man - Softer, poppier sound than what had come before, going after the mainstream.
11 Rewind The Film - Well, we know it's not heavy/aggressive, but from RTF and descriptions of Show Me The Wonder I can imagine this record being somewhat anthemic.
12 "Futurology" - Has been described as a spiky angular record akin to The Holy Bible and JFPL.

So the cycle seems to be:

a A softer, poppier record;
b An "anthemic" rock record;
c A dark, angular record.

Last edited by tzb; 19-07-2013 at 21:01.
Old 19-07-2013, 18:15
Winterlover

Still don't get why people lump TIMTTMY as a commercial sounding stadium rock record. Yeah it has some anthemic moments. It also has a lot of introspective, subtle moments that are a far cry from stadiums and radios.

But yes there is some sort of curious sorta-truth to this 'theory', in vague general terms.
Old 19-07-2013, 19:06
Doors slowly closing

I think that's a pretty good observation, and is largely true so far.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 19-07-2013, 19:08
Under neon loneliness

I mean obviously it's not 100% bang on, but as general ebbs and flows in the band's output I think it's fairly undeniable... for now.
Old 19-07-2013, 19:35
I live to fall asleep

I like this theory better than this self-crippling " we can only record 2 albums" balls! There's definitely something to it.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 20-07-2013, 05:14
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
I felt that 3 albums per 3 albums thing long ago too, but I always thought it was just a coincidence. But then, thinking about it, Manics sometimes seem to release their stuff quite strategically. That was at least the feeling when I explored their singles...
Old 20-07-2013, 07:21
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
I was listening to them for the first time in a while today and it occurred to me they're following a three-album rotation of album styles.

1 Generation Terrorists - Starting/default point.
2 Gold Against The Soul - Commercial "arena anthem" record.
3 The Holy Bible - Angular, darker, heavier record.
4 Everything Must Go - Softer, poppier sound than what had come before, going after the mainstream.
5 This Is My Truth - Commercial "arena anthem" record.
6 Know Your Enemy - More angular, somewhat darker and certainly heavier record (OK, so this one's a less easy fit).
7 Lifeblood - Softer, poppier sound than what had come before.
8 Send Away The Tigers - Commercial "arena anthem" record.
9 Journal For Plague Lovers - Angular, darker, heavier record.
10 Postcards from a Young Man - Softer, poppier sound than what had come before, going after the mainstream.
11 Rewind The Film - Well, we know it's not heavy/aggressive, but from RTF and descriptions of Show Me The Wonder I can imagine this record being somewhat anthemic.
12 "Futurology" - Has been described as a spiky angular record akin to The Holy Bible and JFPL.

So the cycle seems to be:

a A softer, poppier record;
b An "anthemic" rock record;
c A dark, angular record.
Hmm... I dunno. They're always reacting against themselves anyway, no album has been like its immediate predecessor and it looks like that's continuing at least too.

I just can't see much by way of similarities between Gold Against The Soul and This Is My Truth or Everything Must Go and Lifeblood. Like you say, Know Your Enemy is a bit of a sore thumb, love it anyway. Hands up, I can't play a note and I don't know anything about composition or production or anything like that, but I do think This Is My Truth is far more experimental than people make out. Yeah, it's a number one album but after then 96-97 they had I think any of the albums they've released since would've gone straight in at number one. I just think it's an unlikely hit of an album, kinda round hole square peg. I think if you'd only heard the singles you'd be surprised to hear Ready For Drowning, I'm Not Working, Be Natural, SYMM cos aside from maybe The Everlasting, I don't think the singles reflect the album that well.