Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-06-2009, 21:00
An imitation of dignity

The Manic Resurgance - A Rare Beauty?

I think we've all been there with liking other bands in their older days. Take Oasis for example. I'm as big an Oasis fan as I' am with the Manics but I'd be the first to admit they are far from their 'Morning Glory' days. However, many of these kind of bands have problems. They destroy themselves, in a way, by creating themselves a stigma in the shape of a brilliant album and then having all their releases compared to it. With Oasis its Morning Glory, for The Verve is Urban Hymns, and for the Manic's this seemed to be The Holy Bible. You could argue EMG for this as well, but for a spell it was admittable that the Manic's went on a 'slump'. Albums of quality less than the two mentioned above in 'TIMTTMY', 'Know Your Enemy' and 'Lifeblood' followed, with KYE probably being the Manics low point, probably suggested that the band like many others would never reach their past success.

However, I know this album isn't really as well percieved on this forum, but SATT saw a resurgance in popularity for the band. A certain duet with a Swedish singer also saw the band do well in the singles chart. However, the real shining light of the recent times is the marvel that is Journal for Plague Lovers. Not only is a hit with the fans, but the music press are loving it, the media are loving the Richey lyrics backstory. The Manic's have produced an album that, in my eyes, can be compared to EMG and Holy Bible in favourable terms. I think the Manic's fight not to slide into the 'has been' catergory is a brilliant achievement and should not be ignored.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 03-06-2009, 21:10
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPatsy View Post
Thoughts anyone?
A sexy blond and the lyrics of a lost 'tortured genius' made life easy for them with the last two albums. They knew what they were doing. Now with the next record we get to see if they can keep the momentum going on their own or if we're sent straight back to square Lifeblood. That difficult tenth album...
Old 03-06-2009, 21:48
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPatsy View Post
A certain duet with a Swedish singer also saw the band do well in the singles chart.
It's worth noting, though, that both LB singles reached the same position in the singles chart. And as for KYE being a low point... Well, if you're going by chart positions, it reached #2, whereas LB struggled to #13.
Old 03-06-2009, 21:56
Freed from the century

they will black-up for the next album.
and quote jim davidson on the set lists.
then re-enact that scene from hellraiser and tear sean apart with bits of rat .
then nicky will blame sean for their 'casual' racism from the last year, stating that;
"our good friend sean went through a very dark time and began to eat his own filth.......he said it was art. i suppose we believed his vision at the time,..............i can see now that he was simply a massive gg allin fan,and a bit of a wrong'un"
james will reveal himself as the rightful king of win
Old 03-06-2009, 22:00
I live to fall asleep

now that the band themselves have admitted that SATT is quite a superficial album (and it is, very much so) i'd hope that they learn from the experience of these past two albums.
i'd like something with the depth, range and fire of JFPL with the honesty, energy and universal nature of SATT (without the superficial, transparent meaningless pop edge). if they pull this off then they'll be ever more firmly cemented one of the best british bands of our generation with a worthwhile legacy. a flop now would damage them much less than say just after Lifeblood, but I think it's very important for the band to stay on top of their game in terms of survival.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 03-06-2009, 22:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstephenson View Post
It's worth noting, though, that both LB singles reached the same position in the singles chart. And as for KYE being a low point... Well, if you're going by chart positions, it reached #2, whereas LB struggled to #13.
KYE wasn't the low point, it was post-KYE after the damage was done with that album. Fans still went out and bought that one, and then were disappointed (the majority anyway, it seems). I think Lifeblood, although a good album was pretty much at the bottom of the curve, which then began to pick up, reaching a high with SATT and then rising slightly with this album....at least that's how I see it.
Old 03-06-2009, 22:25
A self-made vacuum

Very proud to be a fan at the moment. I just hope the next album is a continuation of their resurgance.
Old 03-06-2009, 22:28
Knowlede Is Power

What band pulls that out of the bag for there 9th album, i just don't understand how they got to the place they did in there minds to make that record, it is totally new, they haven't really succesfully changed direction since EMG. LB was a change but commercially and in the views of the masses it was not a success (although i love it dearly and come september will be playing it loud and proud).
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_duckworth View Post
they will black-up for the next album.
and quote jim davidson on the set lists.
then re-enact that scene from hellraiser and tear sean apart with bits of rat .
then nicky will blame sean for their 'casual' racism from the last year, stating that;
"our good friend sean went through a very dark time and began to eat his own filth.......he said it was art. i suppose we believed his vision at the time,..............i can see now that he was simply a massive gg allin fan,and a bit of a wrong'un"
james will reveal himself as the rightful king of win
... well, fuck, I laughed.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I think Lifeblood, although a good album was pretty much at the bottom of the curve...
Definitely agree there. Considering how quickly that album sank from view, their SATT comeback was rather amazing. And people can say what they want about that album, but I still recall the first time I heard "YLAINE" - that bit with James, Nicky and her out of the Cardigans trading lines at the end gave me goosebumps.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:34
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
It's worth noting, though, that both LB singles reached the same position in the singles chart.
Slight difference is one (YLAINE) was during the beginning of the "download" era, gots heaps of radio attention and stayed on the charts for 12 weeks, compared to the usual 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
KYE wasn't the low point, it was post-KYE after the damage was done with that album.
Totally agree. Lifebloods poor charting and attention wasn't purely because of the style change. Ive always thought a majority of it was a certain backlash towards what they had produced with KYE.

As far as the resurgance goes. Yes, i think its fucking great. I know a bands popularity, chart position and attention shouldn't be the be-all and end-all, but it is nice to see them back in the limelight again.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:46

Honestly, no matter how I would rank the Manics albums I think they all have at least a few great tracks.

To me they're one of those amazingly consistent bands, like how a lot of people view Nick Cave or Tom Waits. But this time a glamourous* rock band instead of singer-songwriter types.

*Well no, not always. At least they try.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt.Duck View Post
Slight difference is one (YLAINE) was during the beginning of the "download" era, gots heaps of radio attention and stayed on the charts for 12 weeks, compared to the usual 4.
Dead on there, yeah. And if I recall correctly, "YLAINE" even moved up the chart from its debut position.

But still, they had two #2 singles off LB, which seems even stranger to me now when taking into account that neither of the follow-up singles from SATT broke the top five...
Old 04-06-2009, 07:35
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Dead on there, yeah. And if I recall correctly, "YLAINE" even moved up the chart from its debut position.
Thats right, entered on downloads-alone at #26 the week before.

Quote:
But still, they had two #2 singles off LB, which seems even stranger to me now when taking into account that neither of the follow-up singles from SATT broke the top five...
When you think about it, it is quite confusing. Its probably cause LB charted very low and didn't sell alot, so the singles probably roped in more fanbase heavy fans.

Even then, those singles sold paltry. TLORN was the lowest selling #2 single since the charts started....until Empty Souls debuted.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I think it's great they are doing so well again. I've always been a fan and loved all their albums but KYE/LB was a low point in their career and i did worry wether they would ever come back from that, but with SATT and now JFPL they have certainly come back all guns blazing. I don't think they will ever be like oasis etc. though. Even though oasis have put out some pretty horrendous drivel over the past few years they still are considered a cool band and can sell out huge arenas with no problems, yet even though the manics i would say were bigger in the late 90's they no longer have that image these days.

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE