Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 19:33
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
But mostly it was pictures like this.

I really captured the white heat excitement of the night.
Old 14-12-2014, 11:51
Bored out of my mind

Bit late to replying, as I've either been busy or sleeping since both Manchester gigs. I must admit it's all a bit of a blur, especially doing two nights back-to-back in the same venue, but wow what an experience. The first night was quite surreal, seen as we'd all been talking about these gigs for so long, and now I was finally going to hear THB in full. It didn't really feel like it was going to happen until the band were in front of me and the intro to Yes began. The Faster remix before they came on stage added to the atmosphere too, especially as the crowd were singing along so loudly.

Highlights of the first half were definitely Mausoleum, 4st 7lbs and PCP as I'd never heard them full band before (I'd heard acoustic versions of the latter two, but that's not quite the same) and they all sounded immense. Who knew Mausoleum of all songs would spark a mass crowd singalong and Nicky doing a count-in to the chorus? The Intense Humming of Evil was suitably creepy too and Sean's drumming sounded huge. The whole set was intense though; I don't think I've ever seen them (James in particular) so focused. The crowd responded perfectly too and fed off the energy. I think I only stopped to take photos during This is Yesterday and She Is Suffering, as I was just too absorbed in the whole thing for the rest of it.

As for the second half, I notice a lot of people have said the second half was a bit of an anti-climax and they should have done it the other way round (or not bothered with the other set at all), but I have to say I disagree. The second set felt like a much needed release of tension after THB; Motorcycle Emptiness very much felt like light relief for me and the band. So happy to see the return of 1985! It sounded brilliant and I hope they realise there is a lot of love for Lifeblood out there, despite what they might think of the album themselves. Dreaming a City sounded huge too and Donkeys was a nice treat. Also glad Walk Me To The Bridge was played, as they only started playing it on the European leg of the tour earlier this year and never bothered with it at the UK dates in March/April. I must say I wasn't THAT fussed about Divine Youth. It's my least favourite song on Futurology and wish they'd played something else instead, but can't complain too much given the rest of the set we got. I do think a James/Nicky duet is better than the version on the album though.

Having gone to the second night as well, Nicky definitely seemed way more subdued at this gig than Thursday. But I tend to find when Nicky is a bit off, James works extra hard to make up for it and he was totally on fire (for both nights actually). THB is always talked about as Richey's album, but James carries so much of the weight of it at these gigs. That's not to downplay Nicky's and Sean's input of course. They sound tight as a three-piece and you can tell they've really, really rehearsed these sets.

I'll post some photos later, although as I said above, I didn't really take that many compared to other gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Maybe it's just a combination of the mental exhaustion and wanting to get James whizzed away before he gets sick. I'm happy for him not to spend hours in the cold if it means he makes it to the end of the tour!
Agree with this. I've no idea if they've been coming out after any of these gigs or not, as we haven't waited around for a variety of reasons. But I really wouldn't expect much for this tour and don't blame them if they have just been disappearing straight away. It must be taking a lot out of them emotionally and physically and they've still got a hat trick of London gigs to do on consecutive nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I liked the venue.. stained glass windows with crosses i think which added to the atmosphere.. confusing when we got in as to where the main hall was.. we ended up in the bar/cloakroom by mistake lol. They were handing out whole bottles of water which i was very grateful for but getting out after was a nightmare. I hope anyone getting a last train got there. Security were only letting people out down the stairs a few at a time.
Agree, the venue really was the perfect setting and they chose really well for this tour. We also had the same issue with trying to get to the main hall. A woman was trying to direct us to the bar/cloakroom and I was like 'what the hell do I need those for? Show me the barrier!' Didn't realise it was upstairs.

We also managed to get in ok despite the whole no-show tickets fiasco, although slightly miffed there were in fact no 'duplicate' tickets waiting for us despite what we'd been told and it was just ticking our names off a list. I'll just have to add the e-mail to my album of ticket stubs instead of the actual ticket. It didn't really delay us getting in though, which is what I was mainly worried about.

Oh and also loved James throwing his tie into the crowd at the end (he did it the second night too). It had clearly been bugging him all the way through the second half, as he tucked it into his shirt about two songs in. He looked a bit like someone at the tail-end of a wedding reception, who's just thought 'oh fuck it'

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 14-12-2014 at 11:56.
Old 14-12-2014, 12:14
Winterlover

Have to agree, Abstract, thought the second set balanced the evenings well. I'm usually all for doom and gloom, but I think reversing the sets and having A Design for Life in the middle of the gig would just be odd.

While the second gig had a wilder crowd, I think the performance of The Holy Bible on the 10th just had the edge. The spectacle of a fearsome run-through in that venue and the roar of the crowd was just unbelievable. That first hour is possibly my favourite performance I've ever seen.
Old 14-12-2014, 12:52
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
We also managed to get in ok despite the whole no-show tickets fiasco, although slightly miffed there were in fact no 'duplicate' tickets waiting for us despite what we'd been told and it was just ticking our names off a list. I'll just have to add the e-mail to my album of ticket stubs instead of the actual ticket. It didn't really delay us getting in though, which is what I was mainly worried about.
it was very old-skool.. no barcode scanners, the girl just tore the stub off and gave me back the ticket. They took my ticket off me all together in brighton so i'm missing a ticket too.. it hurts.
Old 14-12-2014, 13:23
Winterlover

I'm missing a few Manics tickets from arena gigs years ago because the staff didn't give them back out at the end. Really gutted.
Old 14-12-2014, 13:25
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
I'm missing a few Manics tickets from arena gigs years ago because the staff didn't give them back out at the end. Really gutted.
i have no idea how you cope. Ticket collections are important
Old 14-12-2014, 13:27
Winterlover

Lay awake at night chewing the bedposts, usual really.
Old 14-12-2014, 13:39
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Have to agree, Abstract, thought the second set balanced the evenings well. I'm usually all for doom and gloom, but I think reversing the sets and having A Design for Life in the middle of the gig would just be odd.
Yep, I know they nearly always finish on ADFL, but I don't think it can be beaten. Personally, I don't think PCP would have generated the same euphoria if they'd ended on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
it was very old-skool.. no barcode scanners, the girl just tore the stub off and gave me back the ticket. They took my ticket off me all together in brighton so i'm missing a ticket too.. it hurts.
Yeah they did that on the Thursday when we actually had our printed tickets on us. It dawned on me though that despite See Tickets voiding our missing ones, seen as the venue never scanned any tickets, if our lost tickets did end up in the hands of someone wanting to use/sell them, there was nothing to stop someone gaining entry with them.

Quote:
Same, I don't think I ever got any stubs back from the Lifeblood tour gigs, boo!
Old 14-12-2014, 14:38
Freed from the century

Ok me lovelies... rather a lot of pics of this gig, but a rare balance of James-y ones (I must have foreseen that he would own this one), and from the balcony too so no random heads in the way, which makes for a refreshing change.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jennyx...7647430408623/
Old 14-12-2014, 18:25
Born to end

What a night! Didn't think I'd be seeing them in such a small venue following on from the recent show at the Ritz. Once again, Manchester never fails to impress with the rowdiness of the crowd.

THB never sounded so fresh - I'll only be listening to the remastered version from now on. I took a friend along who is a bit of a guitar aficionado, and his jaw dropped several times at the sight of some of James' riffs - incredible! I mean, the solo/outro of Archives of Pain was just off the map.

The funniest part was hearing Nicky sing Divine Youth, James looked to be smirking when he had his back turned. Great to hear 1985 for the first time, and Hugheskova sounded immense live! Shame they didn't play more poppy songs from Futurology such as SPLAM and Moscow. However, I'd have still been happy if I'd have paid to see just THB alone, so no complaints here. You Love Us was killer punk fast, and ADFL as emotive as ever. JBD on top form!

Hats off to them for making this happen, and I'll be very tempted to see it again if they play some euro dates this summer.
Glastonbury Festival 1999
Leeds Festival, 2001
Ruisrock Festival, Finland 2003
The Refectory, Leeds, 2007
Leeds Academy, 2010
King Georges Hall, Blackburn 2010
Sziget Festival, Hungary 2011
The Arena, London, 2011
The Ritz, Manchester 2013
Leeds Arena, 2014
Albert Hall, Manchester 2014
Leeds Arena 2016
Bingley Music Live 2017
Old 14-12-2014, 18:48
Winterlover

They do seem to get a decent reaction here actually. I've attended every Manchester gig since 28th March 2001 except the Foo Fighters support slot at Etihad Stadium (had a ticket but didn't receive it on time), and the only one that wasn't absolutely brilliant was the G-MEX gig in December 2007. That one was good, but marred by a fucking miserable venue that would be better suited as a museum. The rest have all been a complete blast. I'm quite cynical of the unconditional Manchester music worship, but it is good to be in a place genuinely in love with music.
Old 14-12-2014, 21:30
Freed from the century

Oh God... that GMex gig was not a good one. I can remember turning up and they had already come on stage as well!! Me and the Manics were at an odd time in our relationship then... We worked on it though and I am pleased to say we are now better than ever.
Old 16-12-2014, 23:45
An imitation of dignity

Did a quick review of this gig the day after, needed to get it off my chest else the recollection of The Intense Humming of Evil would have affected my sleep.

and...finally found a use for Tumblr

http://progressiveburp.tumblr.com/po...-was-yesterday
Old 20-12-2014, 18:54
Builder of routine

only 2 for this one

Old 22-12-2014, 21:06
Bored out of my mind

Thanks to those who have shared photos!

Here are a few of mine (mostly of James as always... and going through my photos has reminded me how high the stage was at the Albert Hall too):

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 13-08-2017 at 20:49.