Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-07-2014, 11:41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
I know it's widely accepted, but I still think there are reasons to avoid it.

Hoovering only makes sense if you know what a hoover is (a brand of vaccum cleaner). I'd wager that plenty of English speakers in other countries would not be familiar with hoover in the way that we use it, i. e. to clean the carpet. (It's also confusing because the other widely accepted meaning of hoover as a verb is to eat something quickly. So if you say "I hoovered up the bread crumbs" it could mean you ate them or you vaccumed them. No such confusion if you say "I vaccumed up the bread crumbs.")

Same with other trademark nouns that have become verbs, like Photoshop. "I photoshopped our holiday pictures" only makes sense if the person/people you are talking to knows what Photoshop is. Same goes for Xerox/Facebook etc, it's not inclusive language. I don't see why you'd ever use a brand name that has become a verb when you can use an existing generic verb and be more widely understood. "I facebooked her" is far less clear in meaning than "I sent her a message on Facebook". In the latter you don't need to know what Facebook is to at least get some idea that you are communicating with the subject of the sentence. In the first example, unless you knew what Facebook was, you would assume that someone had been whacked in the face with a book.
I guess, but that's true of any colloquialisms or slang. I don't really see it being wrong or needs avoiding, rather that language evolves over time to pick up these kinds of things. 'facebooked her' is not clear in meaning, but xerox, hoover etc only have one meaning.

I mean, velcro, sellotape, Fedex, rollerblade to name a few i thought of and googled, which in itself is a useful one

Last edited by Takk; 28-07-2014 at 12:43.
Old 28-07-2014, 12:03
Doors slowly closing

ya know whatever you think of the rights or wrongs, or loveliness or ugliness of the terms, I think someone buying a Manics album would probably manage to figure it out... I mean it's not exactly the most cryptic or obscure wordage to ever appear in a Manics song is it? I'm going to guess that Facebook is something most people listening to Futurology will be aware of... Actually probably more people will have heard of Facebook than actual Futurology... which I would find truly "sad".

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 28-07-2014, 13:27
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I guess, but that's true of any colloquialisms or slang. I don't really see it being wrong or needs avoiding, rather that language evolves over time to pick up these kinds of things. 'facebooked her' is not clear in meaning, but xerox, hoover etc only have one meaning.

I mean, velcro, sellotape, Fedex, rollerblade to name a few i thought of and googled, which in itself is a useful one
I take your point, but I don't think a lot of younger people would know what "to xerox" meant and I had to look up "to fedex", is it more of an Americanism? It seems that there are much clearer ways to express those actions to a general audience.

Rollerblade I will concede is pretty useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
ya know whatever you think of the rights or wrongs, or loveliness or ugliness of the terms, I think someone buying a Manics album would probably manage to figure it out... I mean it's not exactly the most cryptic or obscure wordage to ever appear in a Manics song is it? I'm going to guess that Facebook is something most people listening to Futurology will be aware of... Actually probably more people will have heard of Facebook than actual Futurology... which I would find truly "sad".
I wasn't talking about Manics fans specifically. I would hope that most people would be able to have a fairly educated stab without resorting to the internet as to what futurology was about. The clue is kind of in the name.
Old 28-07-2014, 15:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
I take your point, but I don't think a lot of younger people would know what "to xerox" meant and I had to look up "to fedex", is it more of an Americanism? It seems that there are much clearer ways to express those actions to a general audience.
Yeah, Fedex is an americanism, but i think every american would understand what it meant, it's synonymous with 'to ship' or 'to mail', using Fedex.