Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 21:10
Freed from the century

Speaking of the demos can anyone explain why the coda from the demo version of NSAF is tacked onto the end of the finished version but isn't present on the demo???
Old 03-11-2013, 21:28
Freed from the century

Nicky interviewed by Simon Price in Bang, re. Judge Yourself:

"It was the last time we worked together as a foursome..."

Why did it never come out?

"Because Richey disappeared! We literally recorded it at the last session we ever did, along with a rough cut for 'No Surface All Feeling', 'Further Away' and a few other little things, in early '95."
Old 03-11-2013, 21:47
Builder of routine

James played richey Kevin Carter on the guitar just before he went missing. Richey didn't like it cos to him it sounded like *The girl from Ipanema*
Old 03-11-2013, 23:46
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Can't remember where I heard it mentioned but I'm sure I remember reading that James played Small Black Flowers to Richey.
You have heard that probably in one of the many interviews or documentaries, like me. I do remember certainly that James said Richey liked that track.
Old 04-11-2013, 19:08
Doors slowly closing

How i understand it...

Removables was recorded in 1994 and meant to be the B-Side to 'Yes' which was never released.

Further Away was written in early 94 on the Suede tour, demo (presumably the one on EMG re-release) recorded early 95.

Kevin Carter was demoed in early 95, not certain it's the version on the EMG re-release but I assume so.

NSAF was recorded in early 95 but think it was an instrumental at the time, the lyrics possibly came later as the band were living seperate lives after Richey's disappearance. Could be wrong there.

Noone Knows What It's Like to be Me was written pre-Richey disappearance but not sure when. Musically the song is very Bibley so could've easily have been recorded around THB if not soon after.

Mr Carbohydrate - Not entirely sure about this one but i thought i remembered reading something about it being written in 1994?

Don't think there is anything else, perhaps some more of the B-Sides were recorded or at least demoed before Richey went missing. Could definitely imagine them doing First Republic in the early 90s.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
How i understand it...

Removables was recorded in 1994 and meant to be the B-Side to 'Yes' which was never released.

Further Away was written in early 94 on the Suede tour, demo (presumably the one on EMG re-release) recorded early 95.

Kevin Carter was demoed in early 95, not certain it's the version on the EMG re-release but I assume so.

NSAF was recorded in early 95 but think it was an instrumental at the time, the lyrics possibly came later as the band were living seperate lives after Richey's disappearance. Could be wrong there.

Noone Knows What It's Like to be Me was written pre-Richey disappearance but not sure when. Musically the song is very Bibley so could've easily have been recorded around THB if not soon after.

Mr Carbohydrate - Not entirely sure about this one but i thought i remembered reading something about it being written in 1994?

Don't think there is anything else, perhaps some more of the B-Sides were recorded or at least demoed before Richey went missing. Could definitely imagine them doing First Republic in the early 90s.
Well, I'm almost sure James mentioned Richey liked Black Flowers, it might have not be recorded yet back then, but it was certainly at its making process if Richey himself heard it and liked it...
Old 05-11-2013, 10:08
I am purity, they call me perverted

Re "No Surface all Feeling" - there's a lot of myth that the outro has Richey on rhythm guitar on it, but I can't say I've ever seen anything from the band to confirm it. It's feasible as he could hold down a tune by that time and as has been said earlier was demoed when they recorded Judge Yrself. Weirdly I watched the Dredd movie last night - needed that song, desperately....
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
Speaking of the demos can anyone explain why the coda from the demo version of NSAF is tacked onto the end of the finished version but isn't present on the demo???
You are hearing this because of some crossover between the demo and the finished version.

The demo is pretty simple but the same lead guitar intro and verse guitar are on the final version, though this is fleshed out with other guitars in the chorus. The ending was added, i imagine because they felt the song was missing something when they realised it was the final song on the album, hence the coda. It wouldn't be the first time, for example the Die in the Summertime demo also has no ending.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 05-11-2013 at 11:54.
Old 05-11-2013, 17:48
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
You are hearing this because of some crossover between the demo and the finished version.

The demo is pretty simple but the same lead guitar intro and verse guitar are on the final version, though this is fleshed out with other guitars in the chorus. The ending was added, i imagine because they felt the song was missing something when they realised it was the final song on the album, hence the coda. It wouldn't be the first time, for example the Die in the Summertime demo also has no ending.
Mike Hedges may have also suggested it in his role as producer
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45
Doors slowly closing

All the stuff about Richey 'not being able to play' is bollocks too - watch the live vids, he may not be doing solos up there but he's certainly playing the right chords. Barred, too!
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
All the stuff about Richey 'not being able to play' is bollocks too - watch the live vids, he may not be doing solos up there but he's certainly playing the right chords. Barred, too!
Agreed! Don't know why people say he couldn't play guitar! I think it was probably his nerves and self-esteem stopping him from turning his guitar up! He could play the chord progressions quite competently!
Old 06-11-2013, 14:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

On a lot of early live recordings (the Astoria 94 set is a great example) you can hear him clearly. His playing is ok, he's hitting the right notes but the rhythm is often way off. I love the thrashing noise he's chucking out, gives such a raw edge to JDB's guitar perfection. But on the other hand that old video clip of them playing live (GT era I think) and someone in the crowd shouts "Richey, are you plugged in?" and he just shakes his head and laughs; that always cracks me up.
Old 06-11-2013, 15:32
Knowlede Is Power

I think the manics best live sound was around 94, when Richeys guitar was often turned up a bit higher. Theres somthing about how wild and out of control it sounded that gave the live sound more of an edge.