Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-10-2012, 15:48
An imitation of dignity

I'll be there (providing I can get the tickets on the day) - and am really looking forward to it!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 16:38
Knowlede Is Power

I love Chapter usually go there a few times a week. You will need to be very lucky to get a ticket the offical way as the cinema theatres only have a capacity of 188 and 57!
2001 Brixton, C.I.A.
2002 Millennium Stadium, St. David's Hall, Wembley, C.I.A. x 2
2003 Move Festival
2004 Wembley
2005 C.I.A., Millennium Stadium, Bristol, Swansea
2006 JDB Solus
2007 Cardiff Uni x 2, Bristol, Reading, C.I.A., Bournemouth, Brighton
2008 NME Awards, NME Big Gig, Newport
2009 Roundhouse x 2 , Wolves, Brighton
2010 Millennium Stadium, Newport, Bristol ,Leicester
2011 Brixton, Blackwood, Wolves, C.I.A., JDB Solus, O2 Arena
2012 The Hague, Amsterdam
2013 Newport, Festival No.6, Bristol
2014 Cardiff Motorpoint, Leicester, Wolves, The Roundhouse x 3
2015 JDB at W.M.C, Washington, New York, Boston. Wolves & Cardiff Castle
2016 Brussels, RAH x 2, Swansea, Cardiff, Eden Project
Old 10-10-2012, 17:15
Born to end

just want to clear things up regarding the film. i'm one of the people behind it, there seems to be a bit of confusion at the moment.

the film showing at Swn is a different edit of the one on the DVD. can't say if it's longer or shorter as it hasn't been finished yet. what it does have is a few interviewees who aren't in the one on the reissue. this is simply because we couldn't get them in time for the mastering cut off point.

we were gutted about not getting everything in time as the stuff we've got is brilliant. the new edit for Swn has been undertaken by myself and Kieran, the director, at our own expense because we thought it was worth it. since mastering, we've also found more live footage of the band from the early days which annoyingly didn't arrive in time for the mastering cut off. there's one bit that we're still trying to get - the quality of the version we have is too low. if we can get it, it'll get used somewhere down the line as it's up there with the best manics live footage ever shot.

the screening was meant to be something fun for any fans in the area who might already be going to Swn. it's on early enough to not clash with headliners (John Grant, Scritti Politti, etc), it's cheap with a wristband and - most importantly - it's going to be on the DVD part of the reissue in a very similar form two weeks later so if you don;t want to spend the money getting there or to get in (a charity donation) then you know you're going to see something very similar.

the band gave their blessing to the Swn screening as they think what Huw Stephens and his team are doing in Cardiff is a brilliant and worthy pursuit. other than that, they've taken a back seat and let us get on with it. so, i suppose i'm saying, any venom, throw it this way as it's probably mine and the director's fault.

hope that helps defog things.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:13
Doors slowly closing

Robin - after all's said and done would you be able to upload a version that can be downloaded or at least streamed?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 10-10-2012, 18:15
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin heavenly View Post
just want to clear things up regarding the film. i'm one of the people behind it, there seems to be a bit of confusion at the moment.

the film showing at Swn is a different edit of the one on the DVD. can't say if it's longer or shorter as it hasn't been finished yet. what it does have is a few interviewees who aren't in the one on the reissue. this is simply because we couldn't get them in time for the mastering cut off point.

we were gutted about not getting everything in time as the stuff we've got is brilliant. the new edit for Swn has been undertaken by myself and Kieran, the director, at our own expense because we thought it was worth it. since mastering, we've also found more live footage of the band from the early days which annoyingly didn't arrive in time for the mastering cut off. there's one bit that we're still trying to get - the quality of the version we have is too low. if we can get it, it'll get used somewhere down the line as it's up there with the best manics live footage ever shot.

the screening was meant to be something fun for any fans in the area who might already be going to Swn. it's on early enough to not clash with headliners (John Grant, Scritti Politti, etc), it's cheap with a wristband and - most importantly - it's going to be on the DVD part of the reissue in a very similar form two weeks later so if you don;t want to spend the money getting there or to get in (a charity donation) then you know you're going to see something very similar.

the band gave their blessing to the Swn screening as they think what Huw Stephens and his team are doing in Cardiff is a brilliant and worthy pursuit. other than that, they've taken a back seat and let us get on with it. so, i suppose i'm saying, any venom, throw it this way as it's probably mine and the director's fault.

hope that helps defog things.

Thanks for clearing that up Robin. I'll likely attend as it's 2 minutes from my house. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:16
Builder of routine

Cheers Robin.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:24
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Robin - after all's said and done would you be able to upload a version that can be downloaded or at least streamed?
would love to - was actually talking about trying to get the individual interviews up somewhere as there's way too much to use.
Old 10-10-2012, 18:48
Doors slowly closing

Thanks for clearing things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin heavenly View Post
what Huw Stephens and his team are doing in Cardiff is a brilliant and worthy pursuit..
This is by the by really but I want to get it off my chest that it's a shame that, unlike yourselves with the screening, Swn aren't donating the "top up" fees for the John Grant and The Cribs shows to the Young Promoter's Network. I've been to every Swn festival and a lot of the shows they've promoted, but shan't be doing so again, considering that even with a 4 day wristband, you'd have to pay an extra £13 to see two of the headliners.
Old 10-10-2012, 21:39
Stretched out in the sun

Thanks Robin for taking the time to explain the situation to us.
I don't usually complain about how they choose to handle things, but this seems really disappointing.
I don't even live in the UK, and yet I was willing to attend this, but obviously I would never spend money/time or going through various hassles without knowing for certaint that I'd be able to get a ticket.
Who's going to attend this screening? The people who got a ticket for The Cribs/The Blackout/some other random performer or whatever?
Even though this screening seems to be aimed more at helping this Welsh festival, which is undoubtedly a lovely thing, I still think that it would have been nice if more (see? I learnt how to be diplomatic!) real fans had gotten a chance to attend this.
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth

Last edited by cricri; 10-10-2012 at 22:44.
Old 10-10-2012, 22:18
Freed from the century

Access to most of the festival is restricted to those who buy the wristbands (a full 4-day wristband costs £65, and you can attend as many events as you want). However, certain parts of the festival and its associated events are open to the general public if they purchase a separate ticket. From what I can gather from the website, there are a certain amount of these separate tickets available to the general public on the day of the screening, but priority is given to those who have tickets to the festival as the screening is officially part of that, and they've already paid quite a lot for the festival tickets anyway. You do have to make an extra effort to get tickets to this though, so I'm guessing only people who are really interested will go for it. It is a festival centered around Welsh music though, so I think there might be quite a lot of interest seeing as the Manics are a 'local concern', as it were. Plus it's a relatively small festival and Chapter isn't huge so in its nature, capacity is limited.

I do agree there should have been more notice though, today's the first I've heard of it and I've been signed up to work for about a month now and I know pretty much everything else that's going on.

Hopefully this makes sense, and I haven't made any misleading mistakes!
Old 10-10-2012, 22:24
Stretched out in the sun

Amy, please, I know you don't mean it, but I suggest you think about this again

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay View Post
so I'm guessing only people who are really interested will go for it
I AM really interested, but I don't think I'll spend £200 to try and see if I can get one of the...40? 50? tickets which will be available at the door for those who are really interested.
Yeah, of course it'd be my choice and of course no one is pointing a gun at my head, but I really don't like the ιlitist side of this thing.
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth

Last edited by cricri; 10-10-2012 at 22:36.
Old 10-10-2012, 22:37
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricri View Post
Amy, please, I know you don't mean it, but I suggest you think about this again

I AM really interested, but I don't think I'll spend £200 to try and see if I can get one of the...40? 50? tickets who will be available at the door for those who are really interested.
Yeah, of course it'd be my choice and of course no one is pointing a gun at my head, but I really don't like the ιlitist side of this thing.
Ah no sorry, I meant the people who have full festival tickets who are really interested - anyone who has one of the festival tickets can get tickets from Thursday, but not everyone who has a festival ticket will want to go to this. I'm drugged up on cold medicine and really tired so any confusion is unintended

It would have been a lot better if this was run independently, at a later date maybe, so everyone who wanted to go could go. But like you said, the band & the people who made the film want to contribute something to the festival, rather than intentionally ignoring what would be more fair to all fans. I'm sure they would want to make it accessible to all fans but I guess it must be happening in this way for a specific reason (I think Swn hire the whole of Chapter for the weekend, which probably makes it easier for the film to be shown rather than the filmmakers trying to organise somewhere themselves? Just a guess).

Last edited by amay; 10-10-2012 at 22:53.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05
An imitation of dignity

I am a bit tired of all this hype (remember Public Enemy?)

Everything gets more and more complicate and, in a way or another, disappointing.
And, somehow "Thankfully Not Living in Yorkshire It Does'nt Apply": unless you live around the corner it makes no difference if you are in GB or abroad.

I guess in the end I will spend an hour or so looking at what I have in my collection (thanks Jake Knight and Martin Smith, mostly) and, why not, if the old VCR works, dust off some VHS I purchased from Martin.

Cheers

http://steg-speakerscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Gotta see this documentary.
Old 18-10-2012, 12:33
Knowlede Is Power

Chapter box office rang me today with the good news that I can buy two tickets. Did not expect to be able to get tickets the official way as only 50 were on general sale so happy days.
2001 Brixton, C.I.A.
2002 Millennium Stadium, St. David's Hall, Wembley, C.I.A. x 2
2003 Move Festival
2004 Wembley
2005 C.I.A., Millennium Stadium, Bristol, Swansea
2006 JDB Solus
2007 Cardiff Uni x 2, Bristol, Reading, C.I.A., Bournemouth, Brighton
2008 NME Awards, NME Big Gig, Newport
2009 Roundhouse x 2 , Wolves, Brighton
2010 Millennium Stadium, Newport, Bristol ,Leicester
2011 Brixton, Blackwood, Wolves, C.I.A., JDB Solus, O2 Arena
2012 The Hague, Amsterdam