Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-01-2020, 14:20
A self-made vacuum

New podcast about Manics

Apparently there's a new podcast coming up about Manic Street Preachers - first episode to air tomorrow

https://www.instagram.com/manicspodcast/

sorry if this has been posted before
Old 26-01-2020, 15:24
I live to fall asleep

Yes I've seen it on Twitter.

These things make me nervous.
Old 27-01-2020, 04:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Yes I've seen it on Twitter.

These things make me nervous.
Me too!
Old 27-01-2020, 15:19
I live to fall asleep

It's pretty bad. The tone is completely off. Three lads talking about Manics with in-jokes and spending the first 20mins talking about themselves and other bands? Awful.

They need a female presence on the panel. And it needs to be much shorter and focused on the band. It doesn't need to be album-by-album week-by- week, but at least just present a theme and explore it.

Very disappointing.
Old 27-01-2020, 17:58
Doors slowly closing

I enjoyed it as starting point. "yeahyeahyeahyeah"

They did waffle on a bit before getting to the point but they were starting a whole series of podcasts off and I think it worked well in that we got a sense of the people and their background a little. I wouldn't want that amount of banter before they get to the point in every episode, but as an introduction to a series I thought it was fine. I liked it. I don't see the point in a podcast if it's going to just be a dry reading like a manics wiki and you have no sense of who the people are talking about it or why. They made me laugh a few times, I liked the self-deprecation and daft jokes. Obviously everyone's mileage will vary.

"yeahyeahyeahyeah" though.... that could get a little annoying quite quickly!

Cautiously optimistic so far.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 27-01-2020, 19:52

Hello!

I'm one of the hosts of this podcast. No prizes for guessing which. Thanks for listening and giving it a go if you did! Appreciate that it's not for everyone.

Our favourite podcasts have a casual vibe to them and so we definitely set out to emulate that. We also thought that regardless of like or dislike, the Manics are an enormously INTERESTING band, and demanded a more interesting discussion than just fans saying how much they love everything. We also want to cover how different people listen to music, how it can affect them, and how to engage with the context surrounding a piece of art. We didn't feel we could do this without listeners getting to know us a bit.

Agree that we need a female presence! This is something that we're going to address with upcoming guests. We sacrificed diversity for existing chemistry in that regard.

It takes us much less time to get into the Manics based stuff in future episodes, but we do love a tangent, so there's not much hope in them getting shorter haha! The thing we wanted to do by going album-by-album is a) present a story and b) see if knowing a bands discography improves the overall listening experience of a band. Does JFPL make more "sense" if you've heard The Holy Bible, for instance.

And on the point about us getting annoying. I couldn't agree more. The three of us are the most annoying people I know.

Yeahyeahyeahyeah.
Old 27-01-2020, 21:39
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I like your name.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 27-01-2020, 22:05
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftan mews View Post
And on the point about us getting annoying. I couldn't agree more. The three of us are the most annoying people I know.

Yeahyeahyeahyeah.

Hahah, that was more interactive than I expected and I am glad you took that comment in the spirit it was intended.

I'm looking forward to hearing the next episode, kudos to the three of you for giving it a go at all.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 28-01-2020, 19:18
Banned

Have you ever actually met a Manics fan? Because, seriously, no bashes the Manics more than Manics fans. XD

Good luck with the podcast and all, but I cannot abide waffle on my podcasts. I get why it happens, but if I'm listening to something it's for a reason. And it's not because I care about what the hosts had for breakfast.
Old 28-01-2020, 20:57
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
Have you ever actually met a Manics fan? Because, seriously, no bashes the Manics more than Manics fans. XD

Good luck with the podcast and all, but I cannot abide waffle on my podcasts. I get why it happens, but if I'm listening to something it's for a reason. And it's not because I care about what the hosts had for breakfast.
Are you suggesting they had waffles for breakfast?

Old 29-01-2020, 02:12

My ideal MSP podcast would be hosted by an aging Richey-only acolyte who participates in supermarket sticker protests against censorship, a Mondeo driver, a Rugby lad called Tommy whose favourite songs are YSTS and Have A Nice Day, and Chris Packham
Old 29-01-2020, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
My ideal MSP podcast would be hosted by an aging Richey-only acolyte who participates in supermarket sticker protests against censorship, a Mondeo driver, a Rugby lad called Tommy whose favourite songs are YSTS and Have A Nice Day, and Chris Packham
I would listen to this.
Old 29-01-2020, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post

I can cut the extensive breakfast menu chat out of Episode 2 if it makes you more willing to listen?
Old 29-01-2020, 19:53
Bored of being bored

Listened to it in work yesterday.

I liked it a lot, and I think it's a good range of persepctives to have for a band like the Manics.

As for the waffle? I'm used to it from other podcasts, and find it makes them less "dry" and more like they're presented by actual people. There used to be a podcast I liked called "Rider Club Radio" about the Japanese superhero franchise Kamen Rider. There were similar tangents on there about other japanese shows, games, scifi (one of the hosts also did a Star Trek podcast). Again, I liked it more than I would a purely on-topic show.

Will probably "listen along" with this one, taking in each album before the episodes come out.
Old 29-01-2020, 22:02
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda Vice View Post
Will probably "listen along" with this one, taking in each album before the episodes come out.
I like that idea, I think I shall I do the same