Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-02-2024, 22:47
A self-made vacuum

Talking Empty Souls - IOW Rework/Remix

OK, so since some of us hoped the Lifeblood reissue would include some kind of demo or alternative version of "Empty Souls" (more specifically - a version that would sound more or less like how they played it at the Isle of Wight festival on June 12, 2004, which is how most of us got to hear said track for the first time; a faster and rockier take) and it seems that Manics failed to deliver, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

After a couple of evenings' work here it is folks, as promised, my rework of "Emplty Souls" https://soundcloud.com/revolstar/emp...yre-iow-rework

It has the same tempo as the IOW version, ditches the weird strummed synth bits and most of the guitar harmonies, which are now replaced by some good ol' chugga-chugga, just like how James played it live.

DISCLAIMER: No lame AI stuff was used, just old-fashioned DAW fuckery, phase inversion, EQing etc. I uploaded it to soundcloud because I kept getting a copyright match on youtube, resulting in the video being blocked. Huh.
Old 10-02-2024, 02:04
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Not bad!

Edit: Definitely prefer the beefed up drums in the foreground unlike most MSP mixes. I know Sean dislikes this song but I've always loved the drum fills during the chorus. The guitar sounds right and kind shows that the band had already moved closer to the SATT sound before taking a break for the solo albums (Just noticed the harmonics in the 2nd chorus, nice!)

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 10-02-2024 at 10:47.
Old 15-02-2024, 15:08
I live to fall asleep

Very nice work indeed. I've always loved the IOW and was pretty disappointed with the album version when it came out over a year later. Still, I like the song, but it's not as cool as it could have been.
Old 23-02-2024, 20:52
I am purity, they call me perverted

I always loved this version .. I had it taped off radio (I’m sure) 😂 I remember listening back many times and was so excited for that song.. does anyone know where one would find that iow version ? Thank
You
Old 24-02-2024, 14:43
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Bradfield View Post
I always loved this version .. I had it taped off radio (I’m sure) 😂 I remember listening back many times and was so excited for that song.. does anyone know where one would find that iow version ? Thank
You
I've posted a download link to the IOW 2004 version in the Sound & Vision sub-forum.