Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-10-2011, 00:33
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
I totally agree. The one song on SATT that I will defend whole heartedly. Fantastic lyrics, fantastic tune.

I still maintain that Wire's best lyrics can all be found on TIMTTMY. Introspective, heartfelt, interesting. "If You Tolerate This...", "Born A Girl" and "Ready For Drowning" are brilliant lyrics and quite possibly my favourites of his.
Agree with everything said here.

You know, this band is really kinda special. No other band could've responded to the missing/apparent death of not only a bandmate but a friend with such musical conviction. They're so underrated and its upsetting but, even through the tough times, they're just a bloody great band.

Just don't get a fucking new singer.

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 18-10-2011, 07:26
Bored out of my mind

Hopefully after a two year break James will be raring to go vocally as well as musically!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 18-10-2011, 11:13
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
You know, this band is really kinda special. No other band could've responded to the missing/apparent death of not only a bandmate but a friend with such musical conviction. They're so underrated and its upsetting but, even through the tough times, they're just a bloody great band.

Just don't get a fucking new singer.
Quoted for truth.

Facebook Twitter
Old 18-10-2011, 11:37
Winterlover

Spotted a cool Manics CCCP shirt in town yesterday.
Old 19-10-2011, 09:44
Stretched out in the sun

If they do tour again after a couple of years off I wonder what sort of set lists we'll be getting. Plenty of time to rediscover and rehearse. No doubt the next album's going to be another reinvention cos as much as they say they love Postcards by the end of the tour only a quarter of the album made it into the set. The played JFPL in full but only touched four songs since, on the SATT tour you typically got half of the album per night, same for Lifeblood. I'll be surprised if we get two tracks off PFAYM next time.

I loved the PFAYM tour but I suppose it could've benefited from having stuff more in common with the SATT tour. I mean... SATT had Born To End that hadn't been touched for 14 years, Sleepflower for about the same length of time. I wish they'd pulled out a couple of tracks for the Postcards tour that they'd not touched for 14 years.
Old 19-10-2011, 20:06
A self-made vacuum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umazKrC8cI

Oh, and this isn't me

Last edited by 2004567; 21-10-2011 at 17:19.
Old 20-10-2011, 10:51
I am purity, they call me perverted

I still really like and enjoy Postcards from a Young Man. It's a damn good album with some brilliant moments on there and Golden Platitudes is one of the most gorgeous Manics songs ever.

^ Should that comment really be in the controversial thread?
Old 20-10-2011, 14:26

I guess if some people are writing about their nostalgia I might as well write my 'yay happy new fan' experience. So I went to another record shop a little closer to where I live and I found that one of the people working there was a Manics fan. I'd spotted the box set of JFPL and I think he saw how my eyes lit up when I saw the 'Opulence' inside it.

He pointed out the buy-3-for-1 package for the Manics that Sony BMG has been releasing for classic rock albums here in my part of the world (it's the whole album, minus the sleeve and most of the artwork). So in one swoop I got the JFPL boxset, Generation Terrorists, Gold Against the Soul and The Holy Bible. I don't feel as though I have the 'whole' albums because it feels weird to have no sleeve, art or lyrics, like I'm listening to some kind of stolen album, but it's nice to at least have an official 'playlist' that isn't grabbed from Youtube.

So far my favourite tracks from all of them are Motorcycle Emptiness, Spectators of Suicide, Sleepflower, Archives of Pain, Faster and The Intense Humming of Evil. I might change my mind later and shuffle the list, I dunno.

Anyway, that was one very happy Tuesday evening. I just wanted to write about it. Hadn't felt that happy in a while.

Last edited by Heart2Heart; 20-10-2011 at 14:29. Reason: post looked ugly without italics
Old 21-10-2011, 21:42
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart2Heart View Post
I guess if some people are writing about their nostalgia I might as well write my 'yay happy new fan' experience. So I went to another record shop a little closer to where I live and I found that one of the people working there was a Manics fan. I'd spotted the box set of JFPL and I think he saw how my eyes lit up when I saw the 'Opulence' inside it.

He pointed out the buy-3-for-1 package for the Manics that Sony BMG has been releasing for classic rock albums here in my part of the world (it's the whole album, minus the sleeve and most of the artwork). So in one swoop I got the JFPL boxset, Generation Terrorists, Gold Against the Soul and The Holy Bible. I don't feel as though I have the 'whole' albums because it feels weird to have no sleeve, art or lyrics, like I'm listening to some kind of stolen album, but it's nice to at least have an official 'playlist' that isn't grabbed from Youtube.

So far my favourite tracks from all of them are Motorcycle Emptiness, Spectators of Suicide, Sleepflower, Archives of Pain, Faster and The Intense Humming of Evil. I might change my mind later and shuffle the list, I dunno.

Anyway, that was one very happy Tuesday evening. I just wanted to write about it. Hadn't felt that happy in a while.
That's a great start

If you can get hold of Lipstick Traces there's the original version of Spectators Of Suicide on that and it seems a bit more popular than the album version generally.

My random: Why have they never played The Convalescent live? They can be so wrong sometimes.
Old 21-10-2011, 21:52
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post

My random: Why have they never played The Convalescent live? They can be so wrong sometimes.
My Mum was freaked out by the gremlin noises in the Convalescent

It's one of my favourite tracks from KYE.
Old 21-10-2011, 21:57
Stretched out in the sun

Ok, I've gone back to Convalescent now... Need to hear these gremlin noises
Old 21-10-2011, 21:59
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Ok, I've gone back to Convalescent now... Need to hear these gremlin noises
It's some weird noise in the background, my Mum described them as gremlin noises. It took her ages to realise it was on the song but I wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't pointed it out to me.
Old 21-10-2011, 22:01
Stretched out in the sun

Ha, I dunno... Not hearing anything! Whatever anyway, fucking love the song.
Old 21-10-2011, 22:02
I live to fall asleep

I've loved the last week.

I don't know why, but I've started listening to the Manics loads again and I've started feeling like I did 7 or 8 years ago, when my life practically revolved around them.

It's not the same, because I've grown up a lot, but it's as close as I'll ever get to getting that feeling back, and it's made me really happy .

"Life is a farce in which all must perform" ~ Arthur Rimbaud

Facebook

Twitter
Old 21-10-2011, 23:24

Quote:
That's a great start

If you can get hold of Lipstick Traces there's the original version of Spectators Of Suicide on that and it seems a bit more popular than the album version .
I saw a copy of Lipstick Traces and then when I went back it was no more. I don't know if I should be happy or annoyed that there are other Manics fans in my area and buying from the same shops.

What I like about Spectators of Suicide is its strong instrumental focus. I think it's a sound that can easily be adapted to different styles. If I were a musician I'd enjoy trying to cover it.