Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 14-01-2019, 22:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Strangely, I'd love to see some GATS at the show.

Don't think they played La Tristesse on the last tour.

I'd just like a bit of a shake up in some way. I understand they love the hits and hate (re)learning old songs but I'd love something different.
I wish they would play more from GATS, Journal and Lifeblood, than their known hits after the album and vary the sets more with bonus tracks and new songs.
Old 15-01-2019, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
Genuine question - you don’t think things were shaken up enough last tour? Horses under starlight? Slash and burn? Forever delayed? TBTGOG?

And this tour they’ll be doing born a girl, I’m not working etc - all of which can only be considered mega rarities.

Meaning that by the end of this tour, since 2014 they’ll have played at least, what, a third if not more of their entire catalogue.

I’m thinking back to the days of 2010 where we got endless variations on suicide is painless, la tristessa, ocean spray, autumn song, Australia, EMG. All of which are now either out of the running, or no longer staples.

I’m not getting at anyone, but genuinely don’t see what more they could do to shake up a set and play somethhng interesting we haven’t heard a million times.
I'm sure they haven't played many songs from the early albums in all their concerts.
Old 15-01-2019, 08:47
Winterlover

so - I am listening to the CD2 - Demos and rehearsals.

It was clear they made TIMTTMY sound very MOR, that's why I was looking forward to listen to the raw demos and rehearsals. Wow. Almost all songs sound better than on the album. Tender and Tired and Be Natural are 1000 x better. They sound like The Girl Who Wanted to Be God pt2 and Removables pt.2 respectively.

I think it would have helped to shift Be Natural and Prologue one tone lower...

I love it when James sings natural and shows interest - the way he sings You Stole the Sun for example, great.

And it's amazing, how Prologue CD2 fits on CD2.

And the reapeating of the chorus of NLY shows that genius un the song! Shame there's no bass in the track, but still it's superior to the album version. This and the live version from Oslo.

It reminds me of Freddie's demos from Barcelona Sessions. Since I've heard them I haven't listened to the final album again, only to the demos :-)
Old 15-01-2019, 08:52
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
I'm sure they haven't played many songs from the early albums in all their concerts.
What’s early? The holy bible? They’ve played one or two from that recently. First half of gats has been well represented since 2010, does EMG count as early? Plenty from GT on offer.
Old 15-01-2019, 21:17
Bored of being bored

Still trying to work out if I like the soft metal demo version of The Everlasting to the album version.
Old 15-01-2019, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
What’s early? The holy bible? They’ve played one or two from that recently. First half of gats has been well represented since 2010, does EMG count as early? Plenty from GT on offer.
Actually if they played from any of the albums. I'm looking forward to see TIMTTMY played out as I love the hits and rarely played songs and they obviously know what they want to include in the set. Perhaps they could rehearse some of the b-sides they haven't played live.
Old 15-01-2019, 22:46
Freed from the century

I wonder if they'll have a minute or so's silence after SSYMM before NLY..?
Old 16-01-2019, 10:57
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
Actually if they played from any of the albums. I'm looking forward to see TIMTTMY played out as I love the hits and rarely played songs and they obviously know what they want to include in the set. Perhaps they could rehearse some of the b-sides they haven't played live.
Maybe Gwenno can be Sophie...
Old 16-01-2019, 11:42
Freed from the century

https://www.nme.com/news/music/manic...memory-2431521

Wonder why they didn't chuck it on the reissue
Old 16-01-2019, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Maybe Gwenno can be Sophie...
I think it seems likely Gwenno will cover Black Holes For The Young with James. I hope that he doesn't do it himself. Not that it would be perturbing for James to. I think it has to be a duet.

Also such as Your Love Alone, has to be a female on stage with James for Nina's part, each time as per the context, though I love it when Nicky says 'I could have written all your lines' and such as Europa Geht Durch Mich, the duet makes the song what it is.

I hope they do play b-sides with the new songs though.

Last edited by rosetree; 16-01-2019 at 13:44.
Old 16-01-2019, 18:29
Doors slowly closing

https://youtu.be/ah2WKGIzoPM

Has that video footage of the beach scene from the album cover been used anywhere before

Looks like the sort of thing you’d put on an advert but I don’t remember seeing it
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 16-01-2019, 20:44
I live to fall asleep

Wow, the documentary won't get a release for the 20th anniversary re-issue or on TV, no, it's on Youtube! Seems like a bit of a waste, almost like they're throwing it out. I know more people might see it, but to me seems a little... I don't know.
Old 16-01-2019, 21:17
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Better than the The Holy Bible gig, shown once in one cinema....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 16-01-2019, 22:01
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Wow, the documentary won't get a release for the 20th anniversary re-issue or on TV, no, it's on Youtube! Seems like a bit of a waste, almost like they're throwing it out. I know more people might see it, but to me seems a little... I don't know.
It'll be on my TV via the youtube App
Old 16-01-2019, 23:07
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Everything is streamed now. It's quite normal and a nice way to do it.

I'm stupidly excited about this. Looking forward to seeing some memories for 98/99.

Wish it was longer than 30 mins though.