Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-09-2021, 11:57
Under neon loneliness

SATT Cover - is this new info?

Quote:
In the case of the 2007 album by the Manic Street Preachers, Send Away the Tigers (above), the cover’s creator is actively ensuring that the identities of the participants remain a secret. The picture was chosen by the Welsh band from a book by the American photographer Valerie Phillips, and shows two girls dressed as a fairy and a devil-horned angel in Brooklyn, New York, with the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge leading to Staten Island in the background. The fairy is a Polish-American college student called Monika, and Phillips has created two books about her. “I met her when she was in high school,” says Phillips, “and got involved in following her life around.” The dark angel in the picture is Monika’s cousin Kate. “It was taken on Hallowe’en, and they put these costumes together.” Phillips will not allow journalists to interview the girls. “No, definitely not, sorry. I don’t think that’s right and I don’t think she’d want to do it. I have to somewhat protect her privacy. She thought it was good fun doing the books, and she thinks it’s great being on the record cover.”
From https://www.tonybarrell.com/cover-stories/

Wiki entry for this bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verrazzano-Narrows_Bridge

I guess I'd always assumed this was a ropey photoshop of the Severn Bridge, but evidently not?
Old 22-09-2021, 12:12
Bored out of my mind

I think I knew it was in America, probably New York, but hadn't realised it was a bridge leading to Staten Island so that's new info for me! Did the ferry over to Staten Island in 2005 when visiting NYC.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-09-2021, 12:21
Winterlover

I seem to remember this coming up at the time along with faces on the knees (best not to ask) and the two of them seemingly floating in mid air. We knew they were a bunch of valerie phillips photos used for this and the singles.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 22-09-2021, 15:42
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I seem to remember this coming up at the time along with faces on the knees (best not to ask) and the two of them seemingly floating in mid air. We knew they were a bunch of valerie phillips photos used for this and the singles.
Haha I remember some people saying the girl's knees looked to have weird faces on them! I never thought that they had been photoshopped into the shot with the bridge, always thought it was a real shot... unlike the lass on Futorology cover, she is 100% photoshopped in there haha!
Old 22-09-2021, 23:28
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Haha I remember some people saying the girl's knees looked to have weird faces on them! I never thought that they had been photoshopped into the shot with the bridge, always thought it was a real shot... unlike the lass on Futorology cover, she is 100% photoshopped in there haha!
That's the one! The great faces on knees discussion of 2007.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.