Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-05-2013, 15:32
An imitation of dignity

Theory :
Of the last two songs on 'Postcards...' one has horns (The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever) & the other is a spikey, electric guitar driven number (Don't Be Evil). Could they be signposts to the forthcoming albums?

*runs & hides awaiting abuse*
Old 21-05-2013, 16:16
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
There has been a lot of discussion as to how certain songs mark the direction of the next album so you could be right. For instance, "Comfort Comes" was released during the GATS era and sounded very much like it would sit at home with THB. There were a lot of electronic influences in certain elements of KYE which then translated into Lifeblood. You may have a point.
Old 21-05-2013, 19:06
Desire on its knees

Going by that theory, recent B-sides like I'm Leaving You For Solitude and The Girl From Tiger Bay fit the acoustic-but-not-bongos-round-the-campfire description, happy enough if it sounded like that.
Old 21-05-2013, 19:16
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
There has been a lot of discussion as to how certain songs mark the direction of the next album so you could be right. For instance, "Comfort Comes" was released during the GATS era and sounded very much like it would sit at home with THB. There were a lot of electronic influences in certain elements of KYE which then translated into Lifeblood. You may have a point.
Cheers AK47, glad to hear I wasn't just over analyzing things The Wire often describes himself as the "music history theorist" of the band so it's doesn't take a giant leap to believe they would do something like that, as you say for example with "Comfort Comes" or the b-sides to TBTGOG which fed into Lifeblood & the "God Save The Manics" EP which preempted SATT.
Old 21-05-2013, 19:24
Knowlede Is Power

If that's the case I'm dreading this! I hated HATED postcards. Thought it was a tuneless mess. I didn't like a single song. Didn't like SATT either. All I want is tunes. If the song doesn't have a hook I don't even get to the wire's lyrics
Old 21-05-2013, 19:53
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesic View Post
If that's the case I'm dreading this! I hated HATED postcards. Thought it was a tuneless mess. I didn't like a single song. Didn't like SATT either. All I want is tunes. If the song doesn't have a hook I don't even get to the wire's lyrics
Er, don't dread it, because we know little to sod all about what will be the case.

PFAYM was too tuneful if anything, it's why it lacked depth.
Old 21-05-2013, 20:06
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
PFAYM was too tuneful if anything, it's why it lacked depth.
It wasn't a mess either. Everything was exactly where you'd expect it to be. Even to the point that Nicky had his token line in War/End of Love/Whatever in the same place he did in Your Love Alone.
Old 21-05-2013, 20:13
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
I'm hoping for longer lyrics and less repetition on the new albums. Of course Nicky will sing also. I hope they announce news or release a song in the next few weeks. I hope this talk of acoustic horny-ness (calm yr selves) doesn't mean "I think I found it"/"Hazelton Avenue hybrids. I like summery, shimmery songs from the manics but I crave depth and something more sincere this time around. Both SATT and Postcards were recorded out of a desire to be successful again. Postcards had about as much depth as a post it note.
Old 22-05-2013, 08:44
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Talking of Nicky singing and duets, why don't just James and Nicky make a real duet together? Not a song where one of them is at the back vocals, but a real duet, like Strummer and Jones used to do with The Clash. I'd really love to hear that. I think the contrast of Nicky's tough and rough voice with James' high and elegant one would make a perfect harmony.
Old 22-05-2013, 11:53
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
Talking of Nicky singing and duets, why don't just James and Nicky make a real duet together? Not a song where one of them is at the back vocals, but a real duet, like Strummer and Jones used to do with The Clash. I'd really love to hear that. I think the contrast of Nicky's tough and rough voice with James' high and elegant one would make a perfect harmony.
YES. That would be brilliant. I like a lot of the duets they've done with James + whoever, but seriously, use what you've got. I think 'Some Kind Of Nothingness' would have been a billion times better with Nicky singing Ian McCulloch's part. Another song I much prefer the Nicky acoustic demo of, actually.

Last edited by sofarsideways; 22-05-2013 at 11:56.
Old 22-05-2013, 12:03
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Have to agree, it's a surprise they've not done it given their early Clash-aping ways. It could be a lot of fun.
Old 22-05-2013, 12:17
Bored out of my mind

Eeeeeeew no! Ian all the way on SKON! Dunno about a James and Nicky duet. At least James would be singing half of it!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-05-2013, 12:36
Under neon loneliness

Wow - stop the presses, a Manics idea I like that TGW doesn't?!!
Old 22-05-2013, 12:57
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Wow - stop the presses, a Manics idea I like that TGW doesn't?!!

A DUET WITH SEAN INSTEAD!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 22-05-2013, 13:59
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
I LOVE that idea. It would be really intersting to hear them together. After thinking abt it I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. I'm looking forward to the acoustic theme but would love more indepth lyrics and a different style of arrangements not just verse/chorus/verse.

James's album was beautiful and followed the acoustic path. I think he really gave songs room to breath and it was reflected in a wonderful album. Heres to the new Manics album being like that.