Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 11:15
Bored of being bored

An over reliance on backing musicians?

Hi all,

Bear with me on this as its thought out.....

I've seen the band recently at Wembley and at Jools Holland too.. also seen tv appearances at the biggest weekend.

Is it just me or is there a big over reliance on the 3 "non members" of the band. By this I mean Wayne was basically playing the main guitar parts for quite a few songs, whilst JDB's guitar was not being used as he had both hands on the mic....

Is it a case of laziness by the band? do they truly believe they sound better as a 6 piece? or has the passion for what they do gone?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:27
I live to fall asleep

I think the argument about "filling out the sound" is probably a fair one.

But the fact that JDB is playing less guitar is a very sad development for me. His playing is so particular to the Manics sound that it makes a HUGE difference to me as a fan.

That's why the 2014 Rough Trade gig, or The Holy Bible 3 piece stuff is so good - because he plays everything.

My Manics fandom is centred around the songwriting and the guitar playing and I really, really don't like it.
Old 06-06-2018, 13:46
Knowlede Is Power

The recent radio x session as a three piece proves they can still do it.
Old 06-06-2018, 15:36
Doors slowly closing

They always sounded better with one guitar, a bit of shitty keyboard in the background and bass.

It's too easy now.

Quote:
My Manics fandom is centred around the songwriting and the guitar playing and I really, really don't like it.
I think this nails it.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 06-06-2018, 16:17
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
I think the argument about "filling out the sound" is probably a fair one.

But the fact that JDB is playing less guitar is a very sad development for me. His playing is so particular to the Manics sound that it makes a HUGE difference to me as a fan.

That's why the 2014 Rough Trade gig, or The Holy Bible 3 piece stuff is so good - because he plays everything.

The "filling out the sound" argument would hold water if that's what they were doing. I don't know if you saw the band on their recent tour, but on it, the session guys aren't there to 'fill out the sound' anymore, they're there to do the bulk of the music, with James occasionally turning his guitar up to contribute a few chords or a bit of lead.
Old 06-06-2018, 16:34
Doors slowly closing

To play devil’s advocate:

- They’re getting older.
- They played a lot for the RIF tour/campaign
- Some of the arrangements for RIF songs they played were physically impossible to play live as a 3- or even 4-piece.
- Variety.

Saying all that I agree there’s something special about when it's just the 3 of them and JDB is singing and playing all the guitar parts possible.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 06-06-2018, 16:38
I am purity, they call me perverted

But then again Manics fans have always had a massive cob-on for any additional musicians they've had. They're always committing atrocities like being too loud (despite not mixing their own levels), visibly enjoying themselves too much, having a haircut too much like Richey, sounding like a "fairground organ", being too near the front, etc.

They clearly resisted having an additional guitarist for many years until they felt they could comfortably avoid a shitstorm and it wouldn't be taken as 'replacing Richey' (although I bet there were a handful who got a little bit upset anyway), ludicrous as that may seem. In terms of guitars, well there are nearly always layers of guitar parts on Manics songs from all eras. If I was JDB and had created those arrangements myself and had to struggle to sing in addition to pulling them off as well, for years, I'd certainly want some backup in order to pull off something resembling the sound they were shooting for, you know, like normal bands are allowed to do. In terms of keyboards, well there are keyboards all over most of the Manics output, due to decisions made by the Manics themselves, which is another reason why I don't subscribe to the idea that they sound better as a three-piece - simply because far too many key songs would sound empty without them.

Is three guitarists a bit much? Probably. Presumably it's an attempt to utilise the trumpet player's presence throughout the set. Can't say I'm especially bothered though.

James taking his hands off the guitar during verses, when he never used to - why is this so difficult to accept? Him not doing some rhythm guitar? Genuine question.
Old 06-06-2018, 16:44
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
James taking his hands off the guitar during verses, where he never used to - why is this so difficult to accept? Genuine question.
This is a nice image and a great question.

I am a fan who plays a lot of guitar and loves the Manics for the songwriting and guitar playing most of all.

I guess when JDB takes his hands off the guitar and either holds it up (not a fan of that) or puts one or two hands on the mic (not a fan of that either), it's a sign of letting go of something. Letting go of the music, if that makes sense. It's almost crooning your own songs while some backing band is playing them. I think there is a disconnect there and there is something lost.
Old 06-06-2018, 17:32
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
- Some of the arrangements for RIF songs they played were physically impossible to play live as a 3- or even 4-piece.

Which beggars belief considering how empty Hold Me like a Heaven sounds even with a backing track to boot.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 06-06-2018, 17:35

Quote:
But then again Manics fans have always had a massive cob-on for any additional musicians they've had. They're always committing atrocities like sounding like a "fairground organ".
I have no idea where people are getting that impression from....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIG4uu1zhas

Old 06-06-2018, 17:44

Quote:

James taking his hands off the guitar during verses, when he never used to - why is this so difficult to accept? Him not doing some rhythm guitar? Genuine question.
Because some people don't want to go to a Manics gig to listen to Wayne Murray play the guitar for Design for Life. It takes the energy out of the performance. It's like a cyborg replacing biological elements with (inferior) robotics, eventually a bit of the humanity is lost. If it's not a problem for some people, that's fine.

Old 06-06-2018, 19:56

I'm worried where this may lead to. If we're not careful, by next tour JDB may end up merely pointing to a guitar on a stick for ADFL
Old 06-06-2018, 20:55

Quote:
I'm worried where this may lead to. If we're not careful, by next tour JDB may end up merely pointing to a guitar on a stick for ADFL
Well it's pretty much already happened to another British three piece guitar band....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moMruGnwR1U

Shudder....

Old 07-06-2018, 11:54
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Because some people don't want to go to a Manics gig to listen to Wayne Murray play the guitar for Design for Life.
Absolutely this.

In 22 years of being a Manics fan I think the most disappointing moment was seeing Wayne play the intro to NSAF in Belfast. Awful.
Old 07-06-2018, 13:57

Yes, I was shocked to see that as well. But did you notice that the idea of not playing the No Surface Niro was so alien to JDB that he inadvertently played over the top of Wayne then apologised! What is happening!?