Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 01:16
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Yeah, but you got to please enough people for it to be worth it. A handful of people isn't gonna sell the single .
Yeah, but airplay is what's important I think. They gave it their all with a big video for INWJTEOL and that didn't work (granted, it was hardly ever shown) so I think as long as it's radio friendly enough play loads then it might fare quite well.

In short, we shall see
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50
Desire on its knees

That was pretty dull until the 3:00 minute mark. That beach scene was gorgeous but the video itself was terrible. They should have just done a performance video like YLAINE which is still minimal effort but at least passable.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:06
Bored out of my mind

Exactly with regards to It's Not War! I blame Kings Of Leon myself! The song is sad and melancholic so the video was never going to be high octane was it? Actually it's pretty close to how I imagined it would be when Nicky first described it!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:11
Doors slowly closing

The It's Not War video isn't sad or melancholic, it's just boring. If it had the same actors and the same idea but had been a touch faster with more happening in the background and less kissing it would have been better.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:13
Bored out of my mind

It was a chess game though. Faster?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
It was a chess game though. Faster?
Yes, faster as in not in slow motion with no editing for an uptempo song.

You might like the SKON video, but I know one thing you won't like, and that's the singles chart on Dec 12. Sometimes you have to not like things that blatantly damage the band even if you are worried it will hurt their feelings more than failing to reach the top 40.

Now, obviously, this video tells us loud and clear that Sony won't be bothering with this campaign long enough for a third single, so that's out of the question now, but when they do get to make another video I'd expect it to be a single shot of someone in their bedroom, listening to the song on headphones and pulling disgusted faces with captions such as 'what is this shit?' at the bottom of the screen. That's the kind of anti-promo video they're into at the moment.

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 03-11-2010 at 12:36.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:23
I live to fall asleep

New Bunnymen albums usually chart around #50 these days. Singles....don't. They won't buy this single. Only Manics fans who like to collect Manics releases will. Maybe an odd two or three other people will download it. It'll just make the top 40, then disappear. We won't get a 3rd single if you ask me.
Oh, yeah like someone else said earlier, I showed my brother the video and he thought Ian looked a bit like Liam Gallagher when they meet on the steps. He thought it was a dull video too.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
Ok, my hope for a load of Denises doing the choir bits in the background of the video wouldn't have happened for this (though that would be more fitting for a feather-boa draped Wire in a TFHBH4E video), but they could've jazzed things up a bit for when all the vocals come in - mixed the dull moments with something exciting for the chorus.

I think something like that Take That video with the large staircase would've been great for this. Black background and stage with loads of star lights and glitter.
quite a dull video the take that idea seems a good 'un !!!

I hate purity, I hate goodness! I don't want virtue to exist anywhere
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10
Builder of routine

when they meet up on the steps James should've had an autograph book and pen in his hand with an adoring grin on his face..at least we would've got a laugh
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16
Bored of being bored

Shite vid
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26
Knowlede Is Power

It's not often I will say anything negative about the Manics, but this is a pretty boring video!
I love the song but I'm just hoping they release 'A billion balconies' and go for a big old-school Guns n roses thing along the lines of the 'Paradise city video' cheesy, but rocking :0) - loads of fan and backstage footage etc
Old 03-11-2010, 11:27
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
It's not often I will say anything negative about the Manics, but this is a pretty boring video!
I love the song but I'm just hoping they release 'A billion balconies' and go for a big old-school Guns n roses thing along the lines of the 'Paradise city video' cheesy, but rocking :0) - loads of fan and backstage footage etc
I'd imagine Sony would have to be willing to give them about ten times the budget for that, and considering how bad the last single did, how badly this is likely to do, that's not very likely.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45
Knowlede Is Power

^^ True - but maybe a bit of investment would pay off!
I can dream :0)
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Is the new video on the tube? I cannot find it
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicspain View Post
Is the new video on the tube? I cannot find it
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...of-nothingness