Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-04-2018, 09:52
Footprint of history

I feel really bad for helping to put folk on a downer but it's not as if I *want* to be feeling like this or saying these things either I honestly hope people can enjoy the gigs, it's just a sad fact that I didn't.
Old 27-04-2018, 11:15
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Finch View Post
I feel really bad for helping to put folk on a downer but it's not as if I *want* to be feeling like this or saying these things either I honestly hope people can enjoy the gigs, it's just a sad fact that I didn't.
I think you’ve made some fair points - we hold this band to some very high standards. Maybe they’re just getting into their stride.
Old 27-04-2018, 20:42
An imitation of dignity

This may be long so apologies in advance...

I was at the Glasgow show on Wed night and thought it was decent but I wasn’t blown away by any means. I’m no fan of the Hydro as a venue and the sound was awful where I was sitting off to the side so that may have slightly tainted my view. I really enjoyed the EMG show in the same venue a couple of years ago.

The band themselves were really tight and on form as always but I got a feeling they weren’t massively enjoying the show for some reason. I know Nicky has personal stuff going on at the moment, which has meant him keeping a lower profile than normal at shows. I’ve been getting a feeling of general malaise from the band during the promotion of this album. It feels similar to the Lifeblood era, where the band maybe feel like they’ve lost a little bit of direction? They’ve bounced back from plenty in the past and i’m sure they will again but for this album I think they’re maybe going through the motions a little (with regard to promotional duties).

For context, the Manics are my favourite band by a million miles and always will be so it’s not enjoyable to see them in a bit of a funk at the moment. I’ve seen them 16 times now and while this gig wasn’t the best by any means, I think some of the comments on this thread have been a little harsh and maybe we just need to go a bit easier on the boys, who it’s been pointed out previously, are held to a VERY high standard both in the studio and live due to being consistently excellent in the past.
Old 28-04-2018, 13:21
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by set phasers to stun View Post
Tonight was a very Tory performance.
Comment of the year.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 28-04-2018 at 15:18.
Old 28-04-2018, 13:33
Born to end

Interesting conversation, I have seen the Manics 5 times, the last time was the Everything Must Go anniversary tour. I saw them at the Hydro, I didn’t really enjoy the gig that much. I put it down to the venue as an arena that size just wasn’t the right venue for them. Everything must go is my favourite album so thought I’d love it, but I left feeling the performance was a bit flat.

I didn’t go this time partly because they were playing there again but also because I think RIF is pretty poor to be honest. It is just very lightweight to my ears and I have struggled to listen all the way through more than a couple of times. It’s not a patch on Futurology.
Old 28-04-2018, 15:18
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Steve Preacher View Post
I absolutely hate backing tracks in live shows. I always used to joke with my other half that her 'pop' acts always needed them to fill out the sound. You would think with SIX musicians onstage there would be ways of limiting backing to a necessary minimum.
Second part of you point - yes. There's no need (technically) for a backing track with that number of people onstage - and anyway playing them that way gives the songs a different feel to the record.

That said, I cannot think of a show (rock, metal, pop, dance or otherwise) that I've seen in the last decade where tracks weren't used. I know there was a movement back in the 70's to "keep music live," from people who thought backing tapes would put musicians out of work.

For guitar bands, there is an argument that there's no reason not to play the tunes. But the way music is going, pads and textures are part of a show for almost any band, and in some cases it is part of the signature sound. Compared to the 90's a rock gig these days is almost all for show. The amps aren't on, half the song is on a tape, and it's all about that big screen. Whether that's cool for you or not is obviously down to personal taste. But the days of a band turning up with nothing but some amps, cranking it to full pelt and playing (in big venues at least) are long gone.

Personally it bothers me not a jot, because for every band playing to a track - there is a band who cranks it up to 11 and keeps it simple. Different strokes etc....
Old 28-04-2018, 16:33
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think this link was posted in the Manics Newspaper thread.

In the Ebbw Vale paragraph, post explitives Nicky mentions his political views and that he voted to stay in the EU
http:// https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/manic-street-preachers-interview-nicky-wire-resistance-is-futile-album-tour-dates-a8306256.html
Old 28-04-2018, 21:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

Damned if they do, damned if they don't
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015