Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-04-2014, 17:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
1) The Holy Bible The universal first choice for just about every fan. When you think of the situation of where the band were. All the internal problems, conflict, health issues they delivered a stunning album. A product of the environment they were living it. For many other bands, it would have spelt the end and in away it was. An album of immense importance.

2) This Is My Truth, Now Tell Me Yours. The band at their very best. A lovely long album which doesn’t have a dud track on it. Lyrics on SWYMM are weak, but musically it holds up. Black Dog On My Shoulder was the best pop single they never released. Wonderfully produced. The album deserves an anniversary edition.

3) Know Your Enemy. It’s a wild, sprawling mess of an album at times. I don’t think fans and critics have fully understood it. Heck even I still don’t. There’s a freedom here where the band recorded what they wanted to and the emergence of Nicky’s vocals on tracks. I always felt it was the end of the Manic’s past and Richey’s associations with the band.

4) Everything Must Go. Listening to all those mid-eighties pop singles paid off. The Manics weren’t always about rock.

5) Rewind The Film. When you've seen one parent pass away and attend more funerals than weddings you can understand what this album is all about. If we weren’t to have Futurology, then it would have stood well as the last album. Very well crafted.

6) Lifeblood. I have no idea why the band dislike this album so much. It is perhaps slightly over produced at times. Shiny and sliky in places. 1985 was the second best single they never released. “Empty Souls” is one of my favourite songs.

7) Journal For Plague Lovers. It’s a fantastic album but the reason I rank it low is that I feel the band had a sound to re-create. It feels like part two of The Holy Bible and for that I do often see it as the extension of that album. The band could have given it a different sound, but the Holy Bible sound is fitting.

8) Gold Against The soul. Great singles and I still believe the best image of the band during this era. It’s not that bad an album when you listen to it. There is a lot going on when you listen closely.

9) Generation Terrorists. Sometimes it sounds dated, other times fresh. There’s great moments on here on this slick sounding album.

10) Send Away The Tigers. Some good songs but there is the hint of a band trying the same old, same old.

11) Postcards From A Young Man. The sound of a band celebrating themselves, celebrating themselves. Not much to like here, although possibly the second best b-side era.
I mostly agree with your point of view on the albums, but I would've ranked them differently, nevertheless:

1) Everything Must Go (...just perfect)
2) The Holy Bible (...the band's key album)
3) This Is My Truth... (...a bit too long, but nevertheless a great album)
4) Journal For Plague Lovers
5) Rewind The Film
6) Send Away The Tigers
7) Know Your Enemy (...really a mess of an album, but full of great songs)
8) Lifeblood
9) Generation Terrorists (... the band's second key album)
10) Gold Against The Soul (incl. Manic's quintessential track: "La Tristesse...")
11) Postcards From A Young Man (...the only album I don't really like)
Old 17-04-2014, 19:34
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
I was on a bit of a downer last night and put RTF on in my living room. I had place to myself, the kids were asleep and i took it all in and it had me in tears.
Old 17-04-2014, 19:37
A self-made vacuum

1. EMG - the album that made me love the band
2. JFPL - so close to first the manics at their best really
3. Lifeblood - fantastic album winds me up they hate it so much
4. RTF - beautiful record
5. THB - angry, dark but not something i always play
6. TIMTTMY - great album for SYMM alone imagine if that was a single
7. GT - slash n burn james best riff ever
8. SATT - a good attempt at a comeback of sorts and your love alone was awesome
9. KYE - a mix of great and awful (his last painting) songs
10. PCFAYM - hit and miss but many more misses for me
11. GATS - awful ive never liked this album mainly due to the awful filler on the album i mean what the hell is the title track all about?