Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-10-2010, 16:11
An imitation of dignity

The next step

What do people think the next step will be for the band? Something I've been thinking about today. The Manics don't tend to make consecutive albums that sound the same. They have also recently said that there are only really two versions of the band - the Holy Bible/JFPL version and the SATT/PFAYM version. This led me to think that they might go back towards the JFPL sound next, but I can't see them doing that for a variety of reasons. But then they don't do consecutiv.......AAAAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!

Help.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:15
Builder of routine

That's because there aren't two sounds for the Manics, that's complete bollocks, personally I see something resembling Know Your Enemy with a few more complicated song structures now that Wire can write and play music too.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:23
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
That's because there aren't two sounds for the Manics, that's complete bollocks, personally I see something resembling Know Your Enemy with a few more complicated song structures now that Wire can write and play music too.
I hope to hear the same, if the band realise "charts wise we did okay but our singles were crap," then pull out songs that they play with no care for public perception I'll be happy whether the album appeals to me or not.

Hopefully a KYE in ideology step, minus the "we hate the public loving us!" lie bullshit.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:24
Stretched out in the sun

Yeah, agree with the Holy Bible/JFPL vs SATT/PFAYM stuff. Next step's probably dismissing this step. I can see em tarring PFAYM to the same brush as LB and KYE. I love the album, but they've been talking about going for big radio hits and stuff and for whatever reason, it just hasn't happened. Not only that, but there are loads of people on here expressing disappointment about PFAYM and there have even been some who've turned their back on the band completely. They'll probably change direction again after this, if they don't call it a day.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

Something about 70 songs of failure and self loathing?
Old 13-10-2010, 16:26
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassCommunication View Post
Something about 70 songs of failure and self loathing?
If they do this I will be asking Prince? continually.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:28
Builder of routine

The 70 songs would be good if they did a lot of instrumentals, that way they get to show off how good they are at writing songs and Nicky doesn't mass produce crap lyrics.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:28
Knowlede Is Power

I thought of a KYE kind of sound too, as it is a bit more
"experimental". However, I hope it will be JFPL-inspired. Or maybe Nicky (and James?) will do something solo...
Old 13-10-2010, 16:29
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by db26 View Post
What do people think the next step will be for the band? Something I've been thinking about today. The Manics don't tend to make consecutive albums that sound the same. They have also recently said that there are only really two versions of the band - the Holy Bible/JFPL version and the SATT/PFAYM version. This led me to think that they might go back towards the JFPL sound next, but I can't see them doing that for a variety of reasons. But then they don't do consecutiv.......AAAAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!

Help.
as a wise little green man once said, "hard to see the future is"
Wet with love, it wasn't there
I was dreaming, you always are

I see the coins that were your eyes
My eyes shining like sapphires
I can't think, and I can't paint, I can't love!
And no one will, for money makes us up

Death to monetaries!
Death to monetaries!

Twitter
Patsy The Dolphin Dog
Old 13-10-2010, 16:34
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

The Nebraska album?
Old 13-10-2010, 16:36
Doors slowly closing

I think they'll do one more uncommercial JFPL style record and that'll be that.

A lot of the lyrics and the things they've been saying in interviews around this album seem to indicate a sense of finality, things coming full circle from EMG in terms of a career in pop music. After SATT's success gave them the confidence to do JFPL I think they could do the same.

But I wouldn't be disappointed if they called it a day. I've been disappointed with this album, the setlists they've been playing and Nicky Wire's recent bullshit journals with lists of bands he doesn't like with the names blocked out (he needs to grow the fuck up,it's not funny it's pathetic). Their best days are well behind them and I think that now might be a good time as any to call it quits.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:42
I live to fall asleep

They will do the 2nd leg of the tour after Xmas - Europe and then back to UK. Release a "Best Of" next autumn before releasing a low key "oh look we've found some of Richey's lyrics that he sent to us through twitter from the grave" album before bowing out with a mega hits album with a final send off in Cardiff. And then JDB will get fat, Nicky will get more bitter and twisted and Sean will disappear off the face of Bristol.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse In The Bathtub View Post
I've been disappointed with this album, the setlists they've been playing and Nicky Wire's recent bullshit journals with lists of bands he doesn't like with the names blocked out (he needs to grow the fuck up,it's not funny it's pathetic). Their best days are well behind them and I think that now might be a good time as any to call it quits.
You see I dont really mind the setlists that they have been playing (prob cos I guessed this would be the case and didnt spend the money to travel to see them. They have an agenda, albeit a commercial led one and that's that.

I would just love them to pander to us who like the other side of the band and appreciate the full body of work and maybe, just maybe they could do some low-key (but still proftable) musos type of gigs. I would pay whatever your average show-box costs these days if I knew that they would play some b-sides or, God forbid, even an album track!!!

The simple fact is, apart from JDB, they would have to concentrate and learn the songs and with families and money they couldnt really be arsed.

Last edited by Europa Gluten Free; 13-10-2010 at 16:51.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:46
Bored of being bored

I personally still think JFPL would have been the moment to call it a day. Closing the circle with an uncommercial, critically acclaimed record after having released their most successful record in ten years.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:47
Doors slowly closing

"One lass shot at mass communication" means the next album will be gritty, shouty and have more Nicky vocals, thus rendering it useless to the general population.

I like threads where I can daydream.