Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-03-2015, 21:48
Knowlede Is Power

Might start writing fanfic. I have a few written just for fun but I could probably churn out a couple a week.

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 12-03-2015, 22:02
Builder of routine

Finally bought the assassinated beauty book. I'd been waiting for it to go down on Amazon and it went up! missed the day it went down to 12 quid. Great pics, some of my favourite and the JDB interview at the back is a gem.

Thought the book would be bigger but i'm glad it's fairly compact....the size Nicky's book should've been instead of that cement brick it ended up being
Old 12-03-2015, 22:54
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie View Post
Might start writing fanfic. I have a few written just for fun but I could probably churn out a couple a week.
Yes, be the next 50 Shades!
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 13-03-2015, 00:21
Knowlede Is Power

I could write something better than that piece of shit, for sure!!

edit: published my first fic eeeeeeek

(don't be shy)

Last edited by gracie; 13-03-2015 at 02:35.
Old 13-03-2015, 02:51
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:

edit: published my first fic eeeeeeek
Congratulations!
Old 13-03-2015, 14:59
Builder of routine

LOL
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=7001347
Old 13-03-2015, 18:12
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
Quote:
short name for manic street preachers a welsh rock band

often thought to be better prior to the disapearance of rythym guitarist/lyricist Richy Edwards
this not the case, as they have matured to be one of the best bands of the 90's and are one of the greatest live acts ever. anybody who says that they are not as good since richey disapeared is an ignorant cock, as they have had most hits without him including

if you tollerate this then your children will be next

masses against the classes

australia

kevin carter

the everlasting

everything must go

tsunami

elvis impersonator:blackpool pier

and of course - design for life

case closed
This one was great

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 18-03-2015, 17:48
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
I haven't listen to the manics for about 6 months now apart from a quick dip into the THB re-issue. It's probably the first time I've ever had a period of simply not listening to them or following them or keeping upto date with the news. The only reason I am posting is because I heard a colleague talking about "Rewind The Film" and saying what a shit album it was and I leapt to its defence. The love is still there, kinda. I'll be happy with new music and not this fucking museum act they are doing with the THB.
Old 18-03-2015, 21:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

RTF took a while to grow on me, but I've warmed up to it now. While it does come off more like a collection of B-sides, they're fairly strong B-sides.
Old 18-03-2015, 23:18
Knowlede Is Power

I've done my fair bit of RTF bashing on here, and I've always put it at the bottom, but I don't think it can be put at the bottom.
So I paired it with Lifeblood, joint bottom.

There's a few tunes I enjoy on each (more Lifeblood) but I'd feel bad putting one on it's own, get what I mean?

(don't be shy)
Old 19-03-2015, 10:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I don't think it can be put at the bottom. So I paired it with Lifeblood, joint bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
they're fairly strong B-sides.
Okay, that's the case for RTW. Now for the case against...

It's as though they heard albums from the likes of Bowie addressing mortality and decided to do one of their own, forgetting they were only in their 40s and writing an album called Futurology alongside it.

But fair enough, in the title track, Show Me The Wonder and Anthem for a Lost Cause, they performed an exceptional impersonation of some 80 year olds on their death beds.

Having been given the opportunity by their major label to release an acoustic album as Manic Street Preachers, it was a waste and the songs were the same PFAYM formula except for the choice of guitar. They bottled it.

Running Out of Fantasy, This Sullen Welsh Heart and 4 Lonely Roads make for a good EP, though. Maybe I could take Builder of Routines as well. And then save them for when my GP tells me I have a terminal illness.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:31
Bored of being bored

When I was out today, I saw a woman pushing a leopard print pram. Wow.
Old 19-03-2015, 13:34
A self-made vacuum

Don't know where else to put this... and it is very random I supppose... but it looks like danish duo Darkness Falls has been inspired by the Manics on the cover art for their new album

http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/92367

or maybe it's just a coincidense
Old 19-03-2015, 13:34
Knowlede Is Power

Yeah, Builder of Routines is probably the highlight of RTF for me.

In fact, I could probably place Postcards, LB and RTF as a triple bottom. They're not strong efforts at all.

(don't be shy)
Old 20-03-2015, 09:35
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Yeah, Builder of Routines is probably the highlight of RTF for me.

In fact, I could probably place Postcards, LB and RTF as a triple bottom. They're not strong efforts at all.
Not so keen on Postcards, think there's a great mini-album in there but when it came out it just felt like a disappointment following Journal For Plague Lovers. I don't know what it is about Postcards, all the shouting about mass communication, the layers of strings and anthemic efforts.. yeah, they were trying to be the Everything Must Go/Send Away The Tigers Manics again and while I can kinda see why, but knowing how they're still capable of pushing their boundaries and finding new ground, I just found it a bit strange. But I do love a few tracks on there like The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever, Some Kind Of Nothingness, Golden Platitudes, Don't Be Evil.. I dunno, best word for the album I can think of is tame.

As for Lifeblood and Rewind The Film, I think they're both very bold albums for them to have done because they're so different to anything else they've done. They've always reacted against themselves and there was a time when them doing an album full of synths and another album with only one electric guitar on it would've been unthinkable, but they've done it and I'd put em both in the top half of my Manics album league table. I do wonder how the same songs in a more usual Manics style would translate.. Ah I don't know, maybe it's cos I've been obsessed over half my life but it does feel like, even when they do something so differently to what they've done before, it's still got their mark on it and it's not something I've ever really managed to put my finger on.

In some ways I think Rewind The Film is their most honest effort, or at least on a par with This Is My Truth.. Not that they've ever been massive prima donna rock stars but I think both albums humanise them even more, they're so humble, fragile, tender, introspective and reflective. Heh, in a way they're more "4 real" than Generation Terrorists. I think the song Rewind The Film conveys nostalgia so well you almost think it's yours. For all the Generation Terrorists swagger and Holy Bible anger, I think they're the albums that give you a better indication of what they're about and who they are, where they're coming from. Same with Cardiff Afterlife to an extent too. I just find it beautiful, but Manics songs aren't supposed to be beautiful, they're supposed to be abrasive, antagonistic and confrontational. A lot of people seem to have this idea that there are two Manics - with Richey and without but I think there are more.

I don't think I've listened to Manics this week, what the fuck. I did have Nicky's solo album on yesterday though.