Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-02-2011, 19:57
Doors slowly closing

Would JFPL Singles Charted Better than PFAYM?

If there had been any releases, for example, Peeled Apples, Jackie Collins and Stephen Hawking, would they have charted better then Postcards??

I think a definate Yes.
Old 06-02-2011, 20:01
Bored out of my mind

Not too sure to be honest. I can't read the British public anymore!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-02-2011, 20:03
A self-made vacuum

I think so. Although Postcards is a good song, it's one of those songs that people would probably sing a long to on the radio and then not bother buying because you don't get into it enough to buy (unless you're a specific fan of the band, perhaps, or part of an older age group who are unlikely to be into downloading/buying singles).

The JFPL songs were different. I could imagine people getting into them more and liking them enough to download for their iPod.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 06-02-2011, 20:04
I live to fall asleep

Yeah. JCEQT got far much more TV airplay than INW, and I imagine way more people watched Shadows and Words than those who watched One Last Shot. They also had way more hype, internet coverage/blogging and were on a fair few more magazine covers. People had high expectations and actual music fans (not mums watching Strictly and GMTV) were just generally more receptive and excited about JFPL. Their Jools Holland performances for JFPL were far superior, and 18 months ago the charts were that little bit easier to crack.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 06-02-2011, 20:33
I am purity, they call me perverted

JCEQT would have been a great single! Lyrically catchy, with a fantastic melody.
Old 06-02-2011, 20:35
Footprint of history

Definately not!!! probably around the same as its probably just hard core fans buying the singles now.
Old 06-02-2011, 20:37
Winterlover

Reception and such probably would've been better but I doubt they would've been able to score much more of a success. To do that you need the support of the masses and rockier stuff's just not been that popular in the recent years.
Old 06-02-2011, 20:39
I live to fall asleep

No. Cos the songs aren't as radio friendly...although to be honest I think the only people who buy Manics single these days are the dedicated fan base really. So maybe about the same.
Old 06-02-2011, 20:40
I am purity, they call me perverted

I never really got what makes a single successful or not.... and sometimes just because a song didn't appear to chart well, doesn't make it not successful.

Faster, From Despair to Where, You Love Us, Motorcycle Emptiness, la tristesse durera, Motown junk didn't perform steller as singles, but are still incredibly well known, even by non Manic fans...
Old 06-02-2011, 20:41
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
No. Cos the songs aren't as radio friendly...although to be honest I think the only people who buy Manics single these days are the dedicated fan base really. So maybe about the same.
Yes, I have'nt even bothered buying singles off this album and I have been buying them since GT era, I know a few Manic friends who don't bother now either, we just get the albums.
Old 06-02-2011, 20:47
Bored of being bored

Who cares? The singles chart is irrelevant, the only person who cares about it is Nicky Wire (apparently)

I mean yes, in this instance the band's worst performance did coincide with their creative nadir, but that's just a coincidence. That or they really did shed so many hardcore fans they could no longer "do a Nixon" and get a terrible song high in the charts. If that's the case then yes, more hardcore fans were still onboard for JFPL so why not.
Old 06-02-2011, 21:00
Doors slowly closing

yes they fucking would have charted, yes the fucking singles charts are relevant, and yes the band fucking knew that they had some hit fucking single material on their hands, hence a fucking radio fucking friendly version of JCEQT being fucking made that took all the fucking fucks out of the song, never mind that they made a fucking video for it that fucking pisses all over the videos they have made for PFAYM man with it's beautiful fucking simplicity.

JCEQT would have been all over the airwaves if they had put it out as a single, but fucking no, let's be all fucking pious about this fucking album and not do singles, shall we?
blog
Old 06-02-2011, 21:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
yes they fucking would have charted, yes the fucking singles charts are relevant, and yes the band fucking knew that they had some hit fucking single material on their hands, hence a fucking radio fucking friendly version of JCEQT being fucking made that took all the fucking fucks out of the song, never mind that they made a fucking video for it that fucking pisses all over the videos they have made for PFAYM man with it's beautiful fucking simplicity.

JCEQT would have been all over the airwaves if they had put it out as a single, but fucking no, let's be all fucking pious about this fucking album and not do singles, shall we?
This. Video got played on telly a lot too. Would have charted quite nicely.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
yes the fucking singles charts are relevant
If you say so.
Bored out of my mind

Worst performance?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)