Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-09-2006, 21:10
Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach Psychosis
You said:

Then you said:

There are tremendous disparities between those two statements. I won't insult anyone's intelligence by enumerating them.

Nicky Wire may not be a musical genius, but whether you like it or not, he is a competent musician.
So what? I am not by any means a musician myself but I know good bass playing when I hear it. So, Nicky has played for nearly 20 years?, he's still not as good as he should be really. James DEFINATELY played the bass on MEDD. I swear to god I read that in an old Q.
Old 03-09-2006, 21:45
I live to fall asleep

well its been said that nicky played all the guitars, and i have no reason to not believe that. its not as if you have to be bumblefoot or slash to play those parts is it?
Old 04-09-2006, 01:16
Winterlover

So your slagging off Nicky Wire for not being as good as he should be maybe on the next album you expect him to do peter hook bass solos or something, he's a bass player.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:56
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmileBehindBrokenTeeth
I reckon James played on the album, personally. I think Nicky "strummed" a bit.
There are a few bits on the album that could be James but mostly the guitar parts (lead/solos) are very very basic and easy, if he can play bass live he could play the solos with ease.

I really hate that people believe Nicky is rubbish, he'd love people to believe it but it's simply not true. He's hardly the best in the world but he's not as rubbish as he'd love people to believe.

The entire album is very very basic and based around simple chord shapes and easy guitar parts and melodies. Wire could easily have played everything on the album, even the keyboard based track "So Much for the Future" is very easy as well, it could have been written on a cheapo keyboard that has the notes written above the keys. There are parts that are played badly, and there are parts that written by a more natural musician would have sounded better, those facts alone go further to prove he recorded and wrote it himself.

Based on the songs and music there is no reason to believe he didn't perform it all unless he's lazy.

The only obvious guest appearance is James on "Withdraw Retreat".

Oh yeah, and of what I've seen of Nicky's band they seem (the live studio performances of Sensucht etc) at about the same standard as Nicky.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:46
Footprint of history

we need a new thread titled:
are we really still talking about nicky playing all the instruments apart from the drums?
Old 05-09-2006, 00:48
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniert
we need a new thread titled:
are we really still talking about nicky playing all the instruments apart from the drums?
How about i hate nickys voice i've posted it in several other posts including i hate his voice but i need to post about it again just because no one gives an utter toss what i say

I'm sure it will appear......
Old 05-09-2006, 01:27
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_o_Mac
How about i hate nickys voice i've posted it in several other posts including i hate his voice but i need to post about it again just because no one gives an utter toss what i say
Now that's what I call a thread...

(no sound except the distant howling of the wind, a piece of brush wood rolls across the forum, carried by the gentle breeze of indifference....)
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35
Under neon loneliness

Check out the first part of the interview he did with Phill Jupitus this morning. He definitely said that he played everything except the drums.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic
Check out the first part of the interview he did with Phill Jupitus this morning. He definitely said that he played everything except the drums.
Didn't Nick Naysmyth do some keyboards as well - only on a couple of tracks, I may be imagining it but I'm sure Hannah Daisy met him somewhere and he said he'd done some keyboards and it was a good album or something along those lines. Quite possibly if that was the extent of it then it doesn't warrant mentioning really which is probably why he didn't but just to be pedantic I thought I would.

He probably talked things through with James a bit as didn't James say in one of his many many interviews that they both kinda helped each other out a bit...but I dunno how that manifested itself or anything.
Old 05-09-2006, 13:04
Under neon loneliness

I guess we'll know when we've got our grubby mitts on the CD and we can investigate the credits.
Old 05-09-2006, 19:40
Winterlover

Ok just to clarify on behalf of someone who knows far, far more than I do:

Nick played all the guitars except the solo on Kimino Rock which James played and Loz (as in Loz of engineering and Secret Society fame) played the solos on the end of Nicky Wires Last and Everything Fades.

James sang backing vocals on Withdraw Retreat. Greg (also of Secret Society fame, alongside production skills, tour management, being insulted by Jim Bowen and generally being a nice personness) and Nick did all the rest.

Greg played all the drums and precussion.

Nick Naysmyth played piano on So Much For the Future and (not on the album) Derek Jarmans Garden.

There are no other keyboards and definitely no Bass.

Nick Sang all lead vocals.

So there you go, hope that clears things up.
Old 05-09-2006, 19:56
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic
I guess we'll know when we've got our grubby mitts on the CD and we can investigate the credits.
If he puts credits on the sleeve...it's one of my pet peeves when bands don't put who did what, lyrics, song-writing credits etc.

Have you seen her, have you heard/the way she plays there are no words/to describe the way I feel
Old 06-09-2006, 02:00
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage
Now that's what I call a thread...

(no sound except the distant howling of the wind, a piece of brush wood rolls across the forum, carried by the gentle breeze of indifference....)
Umm how does wood roll across a forum.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_o_Mac
Umm how does wood roll across a forum.
Metaphorically, of course.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:24
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda
Ok just to clarify on behalf of someone who knows far, far more than I do:

Nick played all the guitars except the solo on Kimino Rock which James played and Loz (as in Loz of engineering and Secret Society fame) played the solos on the end of Nicky Wires Last and Everything Fades.

James sang backing vocals on Withdraw Retreat. Greg (also of Secret Society fame, alongside production skills, tour management, being insulted by Jim Bowen and generally being a nice personness) and Nick did all the rest.

Greg played all the drums and precussion.

Nick Naysmyth played piano on So Much For the Future and (not on the album) Derek Jarmans Garden.

There are no other keyboards and definitely no Bass.

Nick Sang all lead vocals.

So there you go, hope that clears things up.
No bass on any of the songs? Sehnsucht sounds as though it does have bass as do a few others.