Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-10-2013, 08:40
Born to end

New Richey info?

Hi all. I used to post regularly on various Manics forums but haven't been active among the Manics fanbase in a long time. I'm just popping back because of some rather surprising information I came across.

Earlier this week I made a comment on Facebook about how I used to love the Manics when I was younger. At this point one of my cousins popped up and asked, "Did I ever tell you my family's Richey story?" I said no, you hadn't.

Just for a bit of background info, my aunt Gerry sadly passed away in 2008. She was something of a colourful character, with lots of cats, but to the best of my knowledge was never a fantasist. She spent a long time in recovery from alcoholism, and as a result was very active in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Anyway, after my cousin asked me if I'd heard the story, he then pointed me to this forum thread. "Stevebloke" is my cousin.

http://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMy...eet_preachers/
I have something to add to this thread. It's not a lie, and I'm sure my mother wasn't lying, so it's more-than-likely either a case of mistaken identity or real.

My mum claimed to have met him several times in London, at AA meetings - I believe it was the Whittington Hospital meeting which is close to Highgate so they used to get a fair few celebrities in. This would be after the time of his dissapearance.

She didn't know who he was at first, and in a phone conversation with me she asked me "Do you know a Richie or Richard from a band who's dissapeared ? He doesn't want to tell me who he is, but I'm sure he's a musician" - I said that yes, I did - I wasn't a massive fan but I knew about the dissapearance.

My mum then later told me that she'd seen a tattoo on his arm - they'd been sitting outside another AA meeting in the sun, having a smoke - and she'd looked at the tattoo on his arm - "You're not useless, you know", she'd said to him. Richey has a tattoo on his arm that says "Useless Generation" - at least that's what I think it says.

I asked my mother on occasion, whether or not she kept in touch with Richey and she said that she did, and that he was living under a different name in Philadelphia.

My mother died 5 years ago this month. I've often wondered if he's out there. If he is and he's reading this - then Richey my mum Gerry Wheatley (Cat Lady Gerri) passed away on 9th July 2008. Hope you're well.

Like I say, no word of this is a lie.
After seeing this, I had a discussion with Gerry's former partner. He not only confirms the story, but also claims to have met Richey too. He states that he popped in to see her at their home in Paignton, Devon. According to him he only stayed for an hour, and didn't give much away, but he certainly looked like him. He arrived in a posh-looking car, and was with a very glamorous-looking blonde American woman. Gerry swore him to secrecy at the time.

I asked her partner about whether he had tattoos or a Welsh accent. He said he couldn't see any tattoos as he was wearing a long black coat. He couldn't make out an accent, but remembers him being very soft-spoken (anyone who's heard a TV/radio interview with Richey will know that he was/is soft-spoken).

I'm wondering what to make of it all, to be honest. The descriptions seem to fit, and the members of my family involved aren't the sort of people to make stuff up. Of course it's possible that they may have had an encounter with someone else who was a bit of a Richey fantasist and decided to impersonate him, but if so it sounds like someone who bore a strong resemblance to him.

If it's true, and he was attending AA meetings in Highgate, then that suggest there may have been an element of "hiding in plain sight", which one does hear stories about. I'm reminded of Radovan Karadzic, spending 12 years on the run from NATO, only to be found practising as an alternative therapist in downtown Belgrade.

If he is living in Philadelphia under a new name, I doubt there's much that could be done to track him down. After all, Philly's a big place, and he probably doesn't want to be found anyway.

Still, if it's true then it's nice to hear that he may have not only survived but apparently prospered after he disappeared.
Old 26-10-2013, 09:02
Winterlover

It's not April Fools so this might be a real thread. Ok.
I am not saying your aunt lied to anyone. But there are many (and used to be more) Richey fans with his same Useless Generation Tattoo, mimicking his voice, looks, vices everything. I am sure he is out there somewhere, but this sounds like a lookalike having some issues.

Philadelphia? lol Posh car and blonde american?
Old 26-10-2013, 09:08
Born to end

Indeed not an April fools.

I don't think Gerry's family are lying, but an encounter with an impersonator is indeed a possibility.
Old 26-10-2013, 10:02
Doors slowly closing

first off i think, and indeed on behalf of all of us, so sorry to hear of the bereavements and tough times in your family. i hardly need to say be strong as you clearly are, but know here you are part of the international Manics family.

if it was Richey or someone with a resemblance or even obsession with him, well, hope he is OK.

the thing one has to always remember is that Richey disappeared as far as anyone can work out, he didn't go missing. he doesn't want to be found.

alive or dead, the only thing any Manics fan can really do is hope that he is at peace with himself and the world.
blog
Old 26-10-2013, 10:03
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

As Mar said, I'm not accusing you, but this really seems weird. Hopefully, he's still out there and doing fine.
For his sake, I hope that your story is true, but we'll never know.
Old 26-10-2013, 10:06
Builder of routine

hmmm I would think hiding in plain sight using your own name and with a very distinctive tattoo would be a very dangerous thing to do if you didn't want to be found. Especially for a celebrity. So no, I don't believe it was him.
Old 26-10-2013, 10:19
I live to fall asleep

Load of rubbish
Old 26-10-2013, 10:25
Doors slowly closing

Alcoholics Anonymous is a daft name. The first thing you do there is stand up and tell everyone your name and that you're an alcoholic. (I'm going on the TV versions of such groups, I've never been!)

Quote:
He doesn't want to tell me who he is, but I'm sure he's a musician
Oh well, case closed.
Old 26-10-2013, 10:43
Builder of routine

Let's not be quite so rude, yeah I'm dubious as many would be, but thanks nonetheless for putting this out there.
Old 26-10-2013, 10:56
Knowlede Is Power

Interesting story, but i guess like a lot of the other storys that cropped up after his disappearence, we'll never really know how much truth ( if any ) is in them will we?

Thanks for sharing though.
Old 26-10-2013, 11:06
Footprint of history

Interesting story but I would say maybe an impersonator. I mean would any bloke say to a woman what his name was and then say "don't tell anyone", thats like 'reg rag to a bull' for all the women I've ever known or met
Old 26-10-2013, 11:07
I live to fall asleep

Interesting story and great if true-purely for the sake of his family and band mates,as just a fan all i can say is that i hope wherever Richey is that i hope he is at peace with himself.

However-like with the other reported sightings im a little dubious ( and that is no offence to you my friend )
Old 26-10-2013, 11:19
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof76 View Post
my aunt Gerry sadly passed away in 2008. She was something of a colourful character, with lots of cats
Quote:
My mother died 5 years ago this month. I've often wondered if he's out there. If he is and he's reading this - then Richey my mum Gerry Wheatley (Cat Lady Gerri) passed away on 9th July 2008.
Is "Gerry" your mother or your aunt? See above
Old 26-10-2013, 11:20
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
Is "Gerry" your mother or your aunt? See above
She's my aunt. The guy posting about it in the Reddit thread is her son.
Old 26-10-2013, 11:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
She's my aunt. The guy posting about it in the Reddit thread is her son.
Ah, ok cheers, makes a bit more sense now!