Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Is JFPL the best album of the decade?
Yes it is! 37 49.33%
No it is not! 38 50.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2009, 19:55
Bored out of my mind

My Manics albums are top of the tree and everybody else files in behind!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-11-2009, 20:11
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
My Manics albums are top of the tree and everybody else files in behind!
+1, I love loads of stuff but Manics are the pinnacle of my musical life and everything else, good as it is, comes second to them.
Old 03-11-2009, 20:14
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
+1, I love loads of stuff but Manics are the pinnacle of my musical life and everything else, good as it is, comes second to them.
Yep, same! MSP have pride of place on my top shelf!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-11-2009, 20:18
Builder of routine

Quote:
Yep, same! MSP have pride of place on my top shelf!
I'm anal and have my CDs alphabetically by band and then chronologically so Manics have the middle shelf (apart from JFPL 2 disc which won't fit) but top shelf in my mind.
Old 03-11-2009, 20:23
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
I'm anal and have my CDs alphabetically by band and then chronologically so Manics have the middle shelf (apart from JFPL 2 disc which won't fit) but top shelf in my mind.
My top shelf runs - The Manics, The Clash, Echo & The Bunnymen, ELO, REM, Idlewild, some other bits and pieces. Everything else is bottom shelf!
Old 03-11-2009, 20:28
Builder of routine

Quote:
My top shelf runs - The Manics, The Clash, Echo & The Bunnymen, ELO, REM, Idlewild, some other bits and pieces. Everything else is bottom shelf!
Nice selection. 'Top shelf' makes them all sound really explicit though.
Old 03-11-2009, 20:32
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Nice selection. 'Top shelf' makes them all sound really explicit though.
Yeah true. But I suppose I'm thinking I want to keep my fave records safe as long as possible from my nephews/niece!
Old 03-11-2009, 20:33
Builder of routine

Quote:
Yeah true. But I suppose I'm thinking I want to keep my fave records safe as long as possible from my nephews/niece!
Ah fair dos, children and records not a good idea, I have a Red Hot Chillis album that I've always hoped will meet a sticky end but it never has.
Old 03-11-2009, 20:36
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Ah fair dos, children and records not a good idea, I have a Red Hot Chillis album that I've always hoped will meet a sticky end but it never has.
He! He! There's a couple of bits lurking in my collection that the kids are welcome to nick if they want!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:37
Footprint of history

People getting a little too list happy here when we have a thread for such purpose: http://foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=50777
Old 04-11-2009, 12:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

I finally caved and got hold of a copy of JFPL from my local library (the first Manics album I've allowed to grace my ears since TIMT).

So far I think it's total drivel, sadly, and I'm amazed that anyone has favourably compared it to The Holy Bible. I'll give it a couple more listens, though. But no, it will never be best album of this decade.
Old 04-11-2009, 17:59
An imitation of dignity

It's for sure one of the best albums of the decade but not my Number 1. Porcupine Tree alone have released like four fucking brilliant albums of the 00's. ("In Absentia", "Deadwing", "Fear of a blank planet" and "The incident") Radiohead's "Kid A" is also pretty interesting even though ridiculously overrated by their manic fans and brown-nosed critics. *coughpitchforkandfriendscough* "Bloodflowers" by The Cure needs also more love & attention. "The crying light" by Antony and The Johnsons is a marvelous record too...

... I really need to make this damn list.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Hahaha .. I'm right there with you with the alphabetizing .. the Manics do however get to live first and at the top followed by my Beatles and David Bowie collection ... everything else slots in A-Z.

Album of the decade ... I would say "no". Important album in the decade: absolutely. As many have already said its gotta be in there for many reasons. In regards to the Manics, I like it better (not that I hate these records by a long shot) KYE and LB. I'm a huge fan of SATT, but 'Journal' is a (of course purposely) different record ... so (sat here writing this) I trying to self-debate whether I think its their album of the decade ...

...right now .. I'm gonna go with no and suggest SATT is, as that acted as the catalyst for being able to do JFPL.
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18

Last edited by ooberfan; 05-11-2009 at 13:58.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

One of the best...but not *the* best. It is up there, though! I think my favorite 2000s album was Death From Above 1979's You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. It's the one I've listened to the most from this decade. When I was younger, it was The Libertines' Up the Bracket, which is still near and dear to my heart!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57
A self-made vacuum

It's certainly THEIR best album of the decade. It kinda sucks compared to Interpol's "TOTBL" though