Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 12:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think everyone is an idiot an no one likes anything.

This is another great song.

You know, I've been thinking lately. It's not liking bad things that makes us stupid, it's not liking good things. It's the things we don't have the capacity to appreciate, internalize and understand that make us into imbeciles. Missing the point and reverting to past darlings and emotional ground. No one has bad taste in music because they like a bit of cheesy shite, people have bad taste because they don't like, know or appreciate clearly excellent stuff. And aren't capable of turning perfectly serviceable 7/10s and promising b-sides into big things for themselves, via analysis and imagination.

There is considerably more good music than good listeners.
Old 10-03-2018, 15:36
Builder of routine

Love this can't make out the chorus tho.... "together the ... " what?
It's going to be something really obvious but I can't get it
Old 10-03-2018, 20:33
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Love this can't make out the chorus tho.... "together the ... " what?
It's going to be something really obvious but I can't get it
"Together the tenderness cries"? Or maybe "tries".

I'm not buying another track that's on the album anyway but the acoustic version is lovely in its understated way. Doesn't sound at all like don't go breaking my heart though, maybe the recorded version does.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 10-03-2018, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
It's not liking bad things that makes us stupid, it's not liking good things. It's the things we don't have the capacity to appreciate, internalize and understand that make us into imbeciles. Missing the point and reverting to past darlings and emotional ground. No one has bad taste in music because they like a bit of cheesy shite, people have bad taste because they don't like, know or appreciate clearly excellent stuff.
I like this sentiment. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2018, 00:19

I've only heard the acoustic version. It's a lovely song.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:37
Administrator

Feels like this is gonna be a bsides album.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:55
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Feels like this is gonna be a bsides album.
I really don't think so. I think RiF going to be a sneaky fans favourite. RTF and Futurology hid their patchiness behind two big concepts for the albums. PFAYM was awful. I think RiF is going to be melodies with subtler lyrics. More understated. I'm looking forward to it anyhow.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:24
Freed from the century

The strings riff that keeps repeating over and over through the verses sounded so familiar it was driving me loco....bloomin' REM's "Nightswimming".

I like it but can we have another banger a la "International Blue" now pleasey thankings?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:53
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
"Together the tenderness cries"? Or maybe "tries".
That sounds a lot better than what I was thinking

Can't stop playing this one, tho I should or I'll be sick of it by April

"plays again"

Old 11-03-2018, 11:18
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
RTF and Futurology hid their patchiness behind two big concepts for the albums. PFAYM was awful.
Off-topic from me, but I don't find Futurology to be patchy at all. Love it. PFAYM was awful, though, absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
I like it but can we have another banger a la "International Blue" now pleasey thankings?
I agree with this. If they're going to do a downbeat track I'm happy with acoustic version of Dylan & Caitlin, mind. Haven't heard the proper version yet.

Realistically I can't see there being many bangers in RIF, though. My expectations for the new album are sadly rather low - as long as it's not PFAYM redux it'll feel strangely like a victory.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:58
I live to fall asleep

Why's everyone hate Postcards album so much? I like it overally, not their best work by far, but I love SKON, Balcnies rocks and Hazleton Avenue is nice and catchy.
Anyway, back to this new song. It's fine.
Old 11-03-2018, 13:06
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Why's everyone hate Postcards album so much? I like it overally, not their best work by far, but I love SKON, Balcnies rocks and Hazleton Avenue is nice and catchy.
Production is awful. Too many late nights for Jimbo and Eringa putting strings on everything.

It's too bright and too loud.

It's too long. And songs are cack as well.

All things considered, I'd argue strongly that it is their worst album.
Old 11-03-2018, 14:13
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Why's everyone hate Postcards album so much? .

Quote:
Production is awful. Too many late nights for Jimbo and Eringa putting strings on everything.

I liked the first single but I can't bear to hear that album now. The Descent particularly made me thinking Madness in their "Sun And The Rain" period until that novelty wore off.
Don't Be Evil is at least the shittest song they've ended an album with. Even the instrumental at the end of Futurology and the title track of GATS were better ended than PFAYM.
Old 11-03-2018, 15:13

Quote:

Agreed. I thought: god damn, have the guys gone deaf or something? This sometimes happens to musicians later down the line. The sound gets to so incomprehensably shit... I can only explain why James' Girl At The End Of The World sounds so thin, or why Eminem's new LP sounds like it's playing in a can w the volume turned up to 10.000 with the artists hearing loss.

PFAYM was unbelievably badly produced. The worst sounding album of their career, worse than Generation Terrorists. No sense of space, not a single interesting sound. Really muddy and uninterestingly warm. Horrible textureless guitars. To go from Lifeblood to this in 6 years sounded like a medical emergency to me, honestly.

I was so relieved with RTF, to hear that they still have their ears. I think Sean has taken over some of the production duties, actually. He's become an absolutely tremendous and unsung electronic engineer. The little soundscapes he's crafted since that horrid failure of PFAYM are precious and beautiful: Dreaming A City, Tokyo Skyline, the tape effects in Let's Go To War which he himself seems rightfully proud of etc. These new songs form RIF all have similar soundscapes under the more melodic guitar driven anthemics. They also have horizontal space, clean smooth bass. Listen to the verses in Distant Colours for example.

I don't have towering hopes for the album but I do expect it will be an enjoyable spring listen, like Let The Dancers Inherit The Party from British Sea Power last spring.
Old 11-03-2018, 16:48
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Agreed. I thought: god damn, have the guys gone deaf or something? This sometimes happens to musicians later down the line. The sound gets to so incomprehensably shit... I can only explain why James' Girl At The End Of The World sounds so thin, or why Eminem's new LP sounds like it's playing in a can w the volume turned up to 10.000 with the artists hearing loss.

PFAYM was unbelievably badly produced. The worst sounding album of their career, worse than Generation Terrorists. No sense of space, not a single interesting sound. Really muddy and uninterestingly warm. Horrible textureless guitars. To go from Lifeblood to this in 6 years sounded like a medical emergency to me, h.
You know, I've been thinking lately. It's not liking bad things that makes us stupid, it's not liking good things. It's the things we don't have the capacity to appreciate, internalize and understand that make us into imbeciles. Missing the point and reverting to past darlings and emotional ground. No one has bad taste in music because they like a bit of cheesy shite, people have bad taste because they don't like, know or appreciate clearly excellent stuff. And aren't capable of turning perfectly serviceable 7/10s and promising b-sides into big things for themselves, via analysis and imagination.

There is considerably more good music than good listeners.

Stand back, I have political powers!