Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-03-2019, 11:42
I am purity, they call me perverted

I like to listen to the album, though I also think the videos add a sense of meaning in the songs each time. There's like a sense of resistance to events that have happened through time, in slow version and I think the Ocean Spray video with James is really heartfelt.
Old 21-03-2019, 14:36

Listening to the album these days, it feels like less than the sum of its parts. There are very few moments I actually dislike ('Intravenous Agnostic' always sounded like self-parody to me and I find it unlistenable; 'Ocean Spray' and 'His Last Painting' are a bit of a struggle nowadays), but it's such a weirdly claustrophobic sounding record that I just find it hard to properly enjoy right to the end.

On paper I like the two albums idea, but I tried it out with all the b-sides only a few weeks back, and there are so many songs that could be on either album that I think the aesthetic of both would have ended up being too similar. You can have 'Dead Martyrs' and 'My Guernica' on one and 'So Why So Sad' and 'Miss Europa Disco Dancer' on the other as the extremes, but the bulk of the rest of it falls into a strange mid-ground. I think some of the slower songs would really have benefitted from a very different production job to make them stand apart from the rockier ones.

So yeah, it's one of those weird albums that I enjoy most of the songs from, but don't enjoy tremendously as an album.

I was going to write a list of favourites, but it ended up being nine songs long, which is daft. I want to definitely extend some love to 'Royal Correspondent' which, "food / chewed" aside, is one of my favourite Manics songs.
Old 21-03-2019, 19:07
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
*feels old*.

I don’t have much else to add to my post of three years ago...

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...6&postcount=45

But ... 18 years already!!?
I really enjoyed that post, Porco! I agree with a lot of it (especially "What a mess"!). I was entirely new to the Manics when Know Your Enemy came out, so I have a huge soft spot for it. I'd really like to call it my favourite Manics album, but I could only do that if I was referring to my specific burned-CD version of it, which changed the running order and included a couple of the B-sides (and possibly the swapping of a album version or two for JDB acoustic performances).
Old 22-03-2019, 16:35
Doors slowly closing

I’ve been listening to the new Karen O & Danger Mouse album.

2:30-3:00 of Reveries instantly sent me back to 2001.

https://youtu.be/Df6J9251KNs

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 22-03-2019 at 16:40.
Old 22-03-2019, 19:48
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
I really enjoyed that post, Porco! I agree with a lot of it (especially "What a mess"!). I was entirely new to the Manics when Know Your Enemy came out, so I have a huge soft spot for it. I'd really like to call it my favourite Manics album, but I could only do that if I was referring to my specific burned-CD version of it, which changed the running order and included a couple of the B-sides (and possibly the swapping of a album version or two for JDB acoustic performances).
Thanks! Yeah... re: my MiniDisc comment, I think I tagged on the B-sides to 'my' KYE at the time, I have particularly vivid memories of walking along listening to Locust Valley for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
I’ve been listening to the new Karen O & Danger Mouse album.

2:30-3:00 of Reveries instantly sent me back to 2001.

https://youtu.be/Df6J9251KNs
Wow, you're weren't kidding! Very very Ocean Spray.

Lovely track actually.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 22-03-2019 at 19:54.
Old 25-03-2019, 00:06
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
They did get a bit fat around this period.
It's because they were in their early 30s back then. I know as I'm approaching mine. The struggle is real.
'Cause nothing fits like it used to fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit ♬♪
Old 26-03-2019, 16:16

I actually loved this period of both the band and life! My first Manics gig was on the KYE tour, and they were fabulous - loud and aggressive. A great setlist as well. Where did those 18 years go?
Old 26-03-2019, 20:43
Doors slowly closing

The first 'new' album to me, was a real special time.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 27-03-2019, 00:23

Random KYE opinions

1) I always loved Royal Correspondent. Dark and austere yet melodic.

2) Doing Cuba was cool, moral and absolutely not politically naive. Building bridges is right, sticking your neck out is right too. Plenty of bands and plenipotentiaries did the same thing later in Cuba. It was ace of them to start. It's some of the realest shit they've done.

3) The album sounds great, as someone already said here. With good mid-centric headphones, it's a real treat. Dead Martyrs and Miss Europa especially.

4) Miss Europa is in my manics top 10, possibly even top 5 and I can NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME understand what people here have against the braindead motherfuckers part. The surreal harp swirls and guitar licks spiraling around Nicky's bitter, tired, sad admittal that people are fucking stupid... it's beautiful. Serene, even. A real all time great manics moment for me. Everyone I know adores it. It's also sexy as fuck.

5) The Convalescent AND Epicentre is a bit too much for me. I could do if the album had one really long and challenging dusty demo-sounding rocker in the end, but two and with just one song in between (I think that's what it was, can't be assed to check), is just compositionally draining to me and means I never get to the end.

6) The b-sides, to me, are overrated. I only truly like Fear of Motion which sounds like them gearing up for the excellent Forever Delayed / Lifeblood b-sides era

7) I listened to Found That Soul when I was in love for the first time and I'm always reminded of that.

8) Masses Against The Classes wouldn't have fit the album sound-wise. It's a regular Foo Fighters style mix with muscular guitars and so on. The rest of the album is mixed in a more interesting, brittle mid-centric sound. More like the Clash. Musically it's a good fit, but sound-wise -- no. And if they'd mixed the whole album like Masses (which was already done) then it woulda sounded like SATT, not the cool weird thing it is. So I don't mind Masses not being on it, though I adore the song.

9) It's my favourite manics album cover ever. Most manicsiest of them. Truly well done. These kinds of agitprop stencil-like BAM! slogan artworks are not easily done in such a beautiful thought out manner. The artist who did it totally aced it. The way the letters are split is very very effective and cool too.

10) I'm still discovering songs off it, after all these years (got into the album circa 2004 maybe?) My Guernica being a recent favourite.

11) So Why So Sad and Ocean Spray have a very special of Manics sub-aesthetic I like to call "Pass Me The Marinella, Darling". It's this strange atlantic coastal manics vibe, very La Rochelle, also Brighton has a bit of that. They later did A Song For Departure, also in that ghost resort from the 60s vibe. I wish they did more of that aesthetic, it really fits James' voice. Love that they do this odd shit. Best thing about the album for me, featuring that sad Marinella vibe.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 27-03-2019 at 00:29.
Old 27-03-2019, 02:50
Bored of being bored

Loved that era. What a time to be alive. My username is a homage to that forum back then.
Old 27-03-2019, 10:00
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
I prepared a T-shirt design for Miss Europa. Now I gotta find a way to print it out. Found some sites, but they only offer regular t-shirts and hoodies, while I want a long t-shirt, possibly tight (optional, though).
By long T-shirt, I mean a regular long/short sleeved shirt, but of over-hip lenght. Kinda like a dress.

Anyone can help?
Keep in mind I'm in Korea, so if it's something online, they need to be delivering over here too.
Old 27-03-2019, 15:22
Desire on its knees

Does anyone remember the temporary website they had that previewed bits of the album? All I truly recall are animations of lightning strikes and the solo from intravenous agnostic autoplaying...
Old 27-03-2019, 17:35
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicbill View Post
Does anyone remember the temporary website they had that previewed bits of the album? All I truly recall are animations of lightning strikes and the solo from intravenous agnostic autoplaying...
Yes! Isn't that where Gareth from staybeautiful.net got the links that lead to all of the full versions and managed to leak about 6 tracks...and then the whole Napster debacle ensued.
Old 29-03-2019, 23:07

Taking a look at this took me back to being 16 years old again! Found an interview Nicky and Sean did with Amazon.
Old 29-03-2019, 23:21
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Yes! Isn't that where Gareth from staybeautiful.net got the links that lead to all of the full versions and managed to leak about 6 tracks...and then the whole Napster debacle ensued.
I think Found that Soul was streaming on the website after SWSS was played on the radio - Jo Whiley mentioned some song titles and he (or someone) managed to work out the file locations and download the songs. Then we all got banned from Napster!
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.