Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-01-2010, 14:20
RobinClash

Manics Article (post Richey slant)

Hi folks

Don't know if this has been posted, but ClashMusic have an article which traces the Manics journey post-Richey.

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/to...reet-preachers

Often neglected in favour of their early work, this aims to show what it was like being a fan and listening to some good, and some bad albums!
Old 27-01-2010, 14:34
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Welcome to the forum Robin! And thanks for that article. I haven't read it before and my mouse is broken so I can't right click and post it, but I strongly disagree with their claims about Lifeblood!...and the placing of some of the songs in the top ten as well.
But even so, welcome.
Old 27-01-2010, 15:05
Builder of routine

It was a good article until the Lifeblood anti
Old 27-01-2010, 15:11
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
‘Lifeblood’
The absolute nadir of Manic Street Preachers’ career, ‘Lifeblood’ was so absolutely awful it couldn’t even manage a top ten placing, shuffling out of the hit parade after a pitiful two weeks. This being when selling a dozen records would bag you a number one smash hit, mind. Containing precisely zero decent tracks it earned the wrath of both fans and critics, forcing the group into a long gestation period for the follow-up.
I take it you skipped 1985, one of the best songs they've ever put out?

Otherwise a good atricle, though. I'd definitely call KYE the nadir of their career!
Old 27-01-2010, 15:15
Winterlover

How did Lifeblood earn the wrath of both fans and critics when it got a fair amount of good reviews at its time and has proven to have a fairly sizeable and steady following from the fans :i.

Yeah it's an album that created mixed opinions but it wasn't universally hated.
Old 27-01-2010, 15:18
Footprint of history

Lifeblood >>> Know Your Enemy

But otherwise, yes, good for recognising that post-1996 was well worth the effort.
Old 27-01-2010, 15:18
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
How did Lifeblood earn the wrath of both fans and critics when it got a fair amount of good reviews at its time and has proven to have a fairly sizeable and steady following from the fans :i.

Yeah it's an album that created mixed opinions but it wasn't universally hated.
Revisionism! Always a popular game in Manics circles.
Old 27-01-2010, 15:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Revisionism! Always a popular game in Manics circles.
Don't get me wrong, it got its fair amount of bashing reviews. But there were positive, fully or slightly warily, ones in the mix as well.

Or maybe the music press I followed just happened to like it, who knows.

It wasn't universally hated, however.

Last edited by Flint; 27-01-2010 at 15:27.
Old 27-01-2010, 17:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

i thought lifeblood was a good listen, i loved i live to fall asleep glasnost, 1985, song for departure. i thought know your enemy was weaker
Old 27-01-2010, 19:17
I live to fall asleep

The press missed their chance to have a pop at KYE as they only back a sure thing, feeling it's more important to reflect the opinion of the music crowd than delivering an honest review - and failing in the attempt. With Lifeblood they already knew the fans has deserted the band, they could have released their best material and still been crucified by those that resented the attention they had a few years before, when the press would rather have been devoting even more columns to Ginger Spice's knickers rather than having to pretend to understand this unique band from the valleys.

I personally think that fans were even falling away during TIMTTMY which has an overrated status thanks to the monster of EMG. Regardless of when, the critics were queueing up to knock Lifeblood.

Lifeblood is an absolute masterpiece. The most beautiful melodies of the decade combined with Nicky's most emotive lyrics - very easy to knock when then Manics' roots are punk, but had the album been a debut release the industry would have embraced it lovingly, like it has bands like Coldplay, Keane, Travis, etc - though I hate the comparison as I dislike those bands I feel this is my truth; tell me yours.
Old 27-01-2010, 22:04
Born to end

don't know if its just the way it looks on my screen but i couldn't help but laugh at the placing of the subtitle, making it read

"Richey Edwards’ family have had him officially declared ....One Of The Greatest British Singles Of The Decade"
Old 27-01-2010, 22:10
Bored out of my mind

Truth isn't overrated in my eyes!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 27-01-2010, 22:15
Winterlover

Thanks for the article. I enjoy reading it

I don't agree what written about Lifeblood. it's not awful at all! it wasn't my favorite album in the start, I often ingore it but with time I learned to love it. some of the songs I really love. I still think it's not there masterpiece but it's not nadir at all.
Old 27-01-2010, 23:11
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Truth isn't overrated in my eyes!
Sorry Gutless Wonder, I must be a guitar fiend as it was when they became obsessed with other instruments.
Old 28-01-2010, 07:08
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Sorry Gutless Wonder, I must be a guitar fiend as it was when they became obsessed with other instruments.
Nowt wrong with a sitar guitar!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)