Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-12-2014, 00:05
Doors slowly closing

Five minutes past midnight is a great time to be a manics fan!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 13-12-2014, 11:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Five minutes past midnight is a great time to be a manics fan!
Good name for a band, that.

""All I ever wanted was a brute with cheekbones." Because I think that's all anyone ever wants."
- Richey Edwards
Old 14-12-2014, 12:56
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentouch View Post
Probably best to have been 15 when Generation Terrorists came out, let's be honest as then you'd have lived with the band for your whole life.

When I found out about the band in 1995 when I was 13 I was devastated that I would never see the 'real' band together but now I feel lucky to be a part of them as they could have been over in 1995 and I would never have ever seen them live. Now that is a scary thought.
I feel privileged to have been to my first Manics gig at the age of 16 in 1992.
You're right though, I've kinda grown up with them. They've always been a part of my adult life x

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 14-12-2014, 16:26
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentouch View Post
Probably best to have been 15 when Generation Terrorists came out, let's be honest as then you'd have lived with the band for your whole life.

When I found out about the band in 1995 when I was 13 I was devastated that I would never see the 'real' band together but now I feel lucky to be a part of them as they could have been over in 1995 and I would never have ever seen them live. Now that is a scary thought.
Terrifying prospect, they're a part of me now. Half the stuff I've read, places I've been, people I've met, I probably wouldn't have otherwise. They've intrigued me and pointed me in the direction of other stuff that interests me too loads.

That said, I probably wouldn't have spent last night attempting to sleep in an airport and today feeling like death as a result so you win some you lose some..
Old 15-12-2014, 20:17
Desire on its knees

In the last week, it's occurred to me how much I really, really like the last two albums. On top of that, of course, these THB gigs. Not sure about the best time to be a Manics fan, but I think the two years from Rewind The Film to the Holy Bible gigs next summer (assuming they'll be taking another break after that) are a particularly great period in the band's existence.
Old 04-01-2015, 16:17
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Selfdestruct View Post
The best time to be a manics fan is whenever you first get into them.
This this this.
Old 04-01-2015, 17:20
Knowlede Is Power

I think I'm still in the bracket of the best time to be a fan.

Roughly July 2013 was when I first heard This is My Truth and starting delving and since then there's always been new stuff for me to discover and every once in a while I still find interviews and pictures I haven't seen and my stomach does flips and I get all excited

I think I'm going to always be like this though, because I've fallen hard for the Manics.

I think either being a 'there from the start' fan or an almost brand new fan now is the best, tell me if I'm wrong.

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 05-01-2015, 17:32

For me, it was 92-96. I just don't see how any other era comes close. By 97, the writing was on the wall. Going to see them at the Royal Albert Hall and spotting the likes of EastEnders actors and pop stars like Ian Broudie and Kylie in the audience was a bit disconcerting.

That said, for new fans getting into them now, the plus side is that when they get around to discovering the early releases, it will probably blow their minds.
Old 05-01-2015, 17:38
Administrator

But they fell off the popular plateau with KYE and it's been a totally different story since. Some of their best songs are post 96.
Old 05-01-2015, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
But they fell off the popular plateau with KYE and it's been a totally different story since. Some of their best songs are post 96.
I guess that's open to personal taste. I stopped buying at TIMT because it was so awful. I've listened to a couple of albums since then, but nothing has compelled me to purchase.