Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-07-2009, 17:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Song Interpretation Thread

To ask others about those tricky songs where you cant quite figure out what the hell they're on about.

Mine to kick it off - Automatic Teknicolour
Old 31-07-2009, 17:59
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladstone View Post
To ask others about those tricky songs where you cant quite figure out what the hell they're on about.

Can you explain how this works more clearly please? Give me an example and I'll get it, thanks!
Old 31-07-2009, 18:03

Eg. Q) 'I've listened and listened to A Design For Life and i cant for the life of me figure out what they're on about with it'

A) Oh well, I interpret A Design For Life as about the death of working class ideology as well as being a love letter to a literate, passionate and perhaps imaginary proletariate yadda yadda yadda
Old 31-07-2009, 18:05
Knowlede Is Power

Can you give another example please? I don't get it yet.
Old 31-07-2009, 18:12

Eg 2. Q) Send Away The Tigers? What tigers? I dont get it. I heard its about a comedian or something

A) Well the tigers in question can be interpreted in 2 ways. 1, when a Baghdad zoo was raided and its animals freed only to turn on their liberators and 2 'Send Away The Tigers' is what Tony Hancock used to say before he got rat-arsed. Hancock fled to Australia in order to find creative freedom and only found misery and loneliness. The song is about attempts to liberate oneself only to completely balls it up and feel much much worse.

Feel free to be more poetic with your interpretations if you wish though
Old 31-07-2009, 18:13
Builder of routine

Quote:

Ok, I think I've got it now!

I've read the lyrics and it seems to be about writing letter writing?
And perhaps the death of the art of letter writing?
Old 31-07-2009, 18:19

I thought possibly it could be a song about Daily Mail types who write in to Newspapers to complain about the scare story of the month. 'Deeply obsessive' 'suburban malitias' 'damaged letters'
Old 31-07-2009, 18:21
Builder of routine

Quote:
I thought possibly it could be a song about Daily Mail types who write in to Newspapers to complain about the scare story of the month.
'Deeply obsessive' 'suburban malitias' 'damaged letters'
But those phrases also describe hardcore Manics fans!
Old 31-07-2009, 18:22

Hhhmmmm. Good point
Old 31-07-2009, 18:37
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
"Married to the future with no solution" has always been a strange lyric in my mind. I've never entirely been sure of any of the lyrics to that song, though!

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 31-07-2009, 18:43
Winterlover

Alrighty... Intravenous Agnostic

/thread
Old 31-07-2009, 18:52

Good choice. I would of course tell you exactly what its about but... errr.... I just need to go and.... eeerrrr. Shit! Look behind you!

(runs)
Old 31-07-2009, 21:25
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Impersonator View Post
Alrighty... Intravenous Agnostic

/thread
/ Spiky guitars and distorted vocals. One of the first lyrics written and "sums up the album a lot", says Nicky Wire. "It's about maximum intake of reality. Sometimes this album is literally too much lyrically and that's what's good about it."
Q, 2001
/ High-octane track reminiscent of the band's early singles, again featuring some distorted, fuzz-laden guitar. Notable for its abstract lyrics - "Secular mosaic distracted at birth" - rather than its fairly predictable though still exciting music.
Dotmusic, 2001

Well that doesn't really help. If you like, I think "agnostic" could be interpreted as the most realist approach to the question of whether or not God exists, while "Intravenous" seems to imply that someone is mainlining culture with a view to analysing/deconstructing it. So all the random seemingly unconnected lines are brief images represented by these really abstract words (Nicky has said society is "speeding up" and becoming more sensationalist). It's a bit like the way early lyrics are in that regard, especially Richey's, and reminds of the way he was constantly consuming culture and not really giving himself a break from the analysis. I'm not saying the song is about Richey, just that he's a specific example of this broad attitude Wire is addressing. Nicky said in a radio interview a whle ago (sorry I can't source this properly) that Richey never had "blank periods" like him, where he decided to just forget about things for a while, indulging in escapism.

In the last verse I think he is trying to say that this rigorous practice sucks all the joy out of life- rendering one "dismayed and dispossessed". The reference to Calvinism (Calvinists believe one's fate is predetermined and the only point of life is to try and work hard/accumulate wealth to be secure in the knowledge that God is smiling on you) might just imply a life of slavish work/study where the benefit of it all becomes lost. So now and again it is okay to indulge frivolous beliefs/practices- "sparkle and believe"- just to be happy. It's also a terrible lyric.

ANYWAY, I would like to hear some opinions on This Joke Sport Severed. That song stumps me.
Old 31-07-2009, 23:16

I always thought Intravenous Agnostic, purely from the title, was slagging off people who took drugs and then said 'everyone does it'. I don't have the lyrics to hand to actually back this up...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52

I take This Joke Sport Severed to be about Richey's experience of attempting to free himself from the world, of getting away from everyday concerns and trivialities, stresses and responsibilities. I think its ultimately about the futility of trying to do this