Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-12-2009, 21:30
Bored out of my mind

With the Manics saying Jeff Lynne is on their producer wish-list (but they're too scared to ask him! JUST DO IT!!!) , thought I would bump my old thread from a few years back and see what some of the newer people on here think. I really would be over the moon if they could get Mr Lynne to produce them. I think it would create something very special!

(Mods - don't thump me!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 12-12-2009, 23:05
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayseph View Post
Nah thanks, I've got plenty of Beatles albums.
Hahahahahahaha!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica View Post
Sorry, I *loathe* ELO and I *loathe* Jeff Lynne's productions, I think he has killed everything he's ever touched.

Take that as a no!
This! Never understood the praise this band or Lynne get in certain music circles. Blah!
Old 13-12-2009, 08:25
Bored out of my mind

I LOVE ELO! I won't hear a bad word against Jeff as he's a fellow Midlander for starters! Don't understand what the problem is with his production at all!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 13-12-2009, 10:03
Freed from the century

I'm not a fan of ELO, but I really LOVE Lynne's work on Traveling Wilburys and Tom Petty records, so I think that would be great so see him working with the Manics.
Old 13-12-2009, 11:37
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
My only problem with Jeff Lynne's productions is he gets a good drum sound, but the drumming is pretty basic and I can't see Sean dumbing down to that bumf!thud!bumf!thud!bumf!bumf!bumf!thud! level?

Although I did laugh at "Slipped Discs-The Worst Rock'n'Roll Records Of All Time" as although there are no ELO or even Manics in it (as it was early 90's when it was published) poor Jeff does feature in the "33 and a third rules of rock'n'roll"

"Do not hang out with Jeff Lynne. He will end up producing your records and you will have to take part in psychedelic revivals? Do you want to wear a paisley shirt and cowboy boots so badly?"

So how about the next album recorded by Steve Albini...and then produced by Jeff Lynne?
Old 13-12-2009, 11:45
Winterlover

ELO = middle aged man in a mid life crisis in a sports car
Old 13-12-2009, 14:52
Bored out of my mind

If only we could flush Roy Wood out of his Derbyshire retreat! I think James could come up with something really special with some encouragement from Jeff! I can understand why the thought of this might fill some people with horror - but hey, I loves a cracking pop tune!
Old 14-12-2009, 05:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

I like ELO just fine, but I'm not a big fan of Lynne's production work. His sensibilities tend to overpower those of whoever he's working with.
Old 14-12-2009, 07:11
Bored out of my mind

I dunno. He's listened to Manics albums. Dunno which ones but probably EMG going by the comment about the strings. I wouldn't imagine Sean allowing him to bulldoze him with regards to the drumming anyway! I'm sure it wouldn't be turned into a Beatles sounding record!
Old 14-12-2009, 08:52
Winterlover

I like ELO songs, specially the odlest. I think Jeff Lynne's well be great producer for the manics
Old 14-12-2009, 20:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstephenson View Post
I like ELO just fine, but I'm not a big fan of Lynne's production work. His sensibilities tend to overpower those of whoever he's working with.
That's to be expected isn't it? You don't get a painter to take your photo.

Lynne would have been great on a track like "Out of Time". I think he's a great producer, but i can't see it working for an album of MSP songs. Albini worked for an album, Visconti was problematic and i'd have thought Lynne would be unsuitable (though if it was pulled off it would be fantastic).
Old 14-12-2009, 21:04
Bored out of my mind

He and James seemed to hit it off at the Q awards that time. I think it would be really nice if it did happen! OK, I know the Manics don't really like doing 'nice' but still!
Old 14-12-2009, 21:09
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
He and James seemed to hit it off at the Q awards that time. I think it would be really nice if it did happen! OK, I know the Manics don't really like doing 'nice' but still!
i might burn my entire manics collection if they do *nice*
Old 14-12-2009, 21:11
Bored out of my mind

Nice with an edge?
Old 17-12-2009, 09:01
Knowlede Is Power

It's just a very weird idea... I love ELO and I love MSP, but they are in no way the same! So it's hard to imagine what Jeff Lynne would do to them...

Give him The Holy Bible and get him to do a remix. Just for ultimate odd...
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019